I went to the online store and purchased an "S" monogram. I'm sure I could have designed something, but I really just wanted some instant gratification. Well, so much for instant.
So far, so good. It cut easily.
I had even purchased a tool to help me remove the vinyl from the backing.
I cut it to fit the top of a plain step stool my daughter has in her bedroom closet. On my first attempt I tried to remove the entire backing and then put it down. It was one of those bad scenes where it kept sticking to my fingers and the more I tried to unstick the more it started to stick to itself.
This time I tried to remove all the negative portions first and then carefully adhere it to the top of the step stool. I would definitely call this Strike Two. I ripped it all off and started to try to figure out a solution. I read the instructions on the vinyl and it talked about a purchasing a transfer sheet. I really didn't want to purchase anything else. The more I read about what they wanted me to do with the transfer sheet, the more it reminded me of something else...
Clear contact paper. Maybe this would work. I had an unopened roll in the house.
I printed out the "S" monogram for the third time (trust me, I was feeling very sick about wasting so much vinyl). Again I removed all the negative portions.
Then I cut a piece of clear contact paper to size and adhered it to the top of the monogram.
Then I placed it on top of the step stool taking care that it was centered and level. I then used a plastic card and rubbed over the contact paper where the pink vinyl was. Then I crossed my fingers and started to carefully pull away the clear contact paper...
Then I did the happy dance. It worked like a charm and the vinyl came off perfectly! I rubbed out those bubbles with my fingers and now it's perfect.
What a pretty addition to my daughter's room. Now I can't wait to make more projects using vinyl.
Be sure to stop back tomorrow to see what I did with the extra "S's" I had left over from my failed attempts.