Pages

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Freezer Paper Fabric Transfer Tutorial

A week or so ago I made a ruffled table runner out of a drop cloth.  
I knew that I wanted to transfer an image onto each end of the drop cloth.
There were many tutorials I found when I searched the internet.  After reading many, I followed a combination of the tutorials I found here and here
 It was my first attempt at transferring a graphic onto fabric.
I started by taking a plain piece of 8 1/2" x 11" copy paper and spraying it with spray adhesive.  We happened to have ordered pizza in on the night I did this project, so I used the box to protect my countertop.  I cut a piece of freezer paper and put the non-shiny side onto the now tacky copy paper. I smoothed the freezer paper onto the copy paper and then cut off the excess freezer paper.  I then put the freezer paper attached to the copy paper into my printer so that it printed on the shiny side.

I picked a graphic from The Graphics Fairy.  I went back and forth on which graphic to use.  I ultimately decided on something on the simple side to avoid too much smearing of the ink.  Make sure to print out your image in reverse.

Then I took my table runner and first sprayed hair spray on either end of the runner.  I decided to add three coats of hair spray for good measure.  Then I sprayed water on the section that I would be transferring the image.  

After I sprayed the runner with water, I placed my image onto the fabric.  
Then I used a spoon to rub the back of the paper to have the image transfer.  
Be careful not to move the paper to help avoid the ink smearing.
The first side did NOT come out the way I would have liked it.  It was a bit too light.  I think this was because I did not wet the fabric nearly enough (or maybe there wasn't enough hair spray).

I sprayed the other side much more, plus I made sure to really rub hard with the spoon.
A much better result.

Have you ever tried this method?  How did it work for you?

-Judy
Pin It

15 comments:

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I have not tried this method, Judy. I just read a few minutes ago about a freezer paper and fabric through the printer method, but that wouldn't work for something you've already sewn up. I actually had good luck with the Splendid Blender pen on fabric. I did it on an apron and it came out really clear. I was pleasantly surprised by that!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

How fun, I havn't tried any of the methods everyone is talking about. This looks interesting. Hugs, Marty

Debbiedoos said...

I must I must try this. I love it Judy!

Jana@Transformations From the Heart said...

Judy,
No, I haven't tried any method yet, been reading about several different ones. First time that I've seen hairspray mentioned. hmmmm. I better keep thinking/researching about what method I'm going to try.
Your table runner looks great btw!

Carrie@comfortablycarriedaway said...

Hi Judy-
I have used this method...minus the water and had kind of mixed results. You do have to rub with the spoon for what seems like forever! I'm going to try out the blender pen method today on a wood transfer project. Hoping I get a more consistant result. Thanks for sharing!

Gina said...

I have never tried this, but I've always wanted to. It looks great!

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

I've never tried this Judy but I really need to! I love the look of a graphic on fabric and yours looks great!

Gail said...

Hi Judy, your table runner is beautiful! I haven't tried this method of using freezer paper but I have iron freezer paper onto fabric and ran it through the printer. Thanks for sharing and enjoy your weekend, Gail

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

This looks like a great method...love your table runner.

Cynthia said...

It looks beautiful. I love the method I will have to try this out.

Cynthia

Savannah Granny said...

How pretty, I have not seen these methods. It worked really well. Thanks for sharing, the runner looks so beautiful. Kudos, Ginger

Tracy said...

I have a project I want to do. Will this method work to transfer to wood? Also, how do you print in reverse (I will be using text that I print on a word document? Your project is great!

Tammy @ A Walk in the Countryside said...

I've been planning on trying this method but have not found the freezer paper. I can't believe that freezer paper is so hard to find!! I think your's turned out great! and I'm planning on using some of your techniques when I do mine!

heather @ new house, new home, new life said...

I've used the freezer paper method on painted wood without much luck. Haven't tried it on fabric yet - and haven't heard of using hair spray - will have to try that. What I have done is iron on transfers and filled in any missing spots with a Sharpie. That seems to work well.

dench said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...