Pages

Monday, August 26, 2013

How I Reupholstered the Pottery Barn Teen Oh La La Armchair

I finally finished up reupholstering the Pottery Barn Teen Oh La La Armchair this weekend.  I bought it on Craigslist and it was in need of some major help.  
The seat cushion had collapsed and the fabric was badly stained.  
You can read here how I started the reupholstering process.  
Once I had the fabric stapled onto the chair I had to decide what type of trim I wanted to finish the chair off in.  The chair sat in the foyer while I decided and Sara has spent the last few days on the chair - she obviously approves of the new fabric.  Originally I planned to make custom cording out of the the same fabric.  However, I used just about a yard for the chair and didn't want to waste almost another yard of the fabric making cording since the fabric cost $27/yard.  Instead, I purchased a flat trim that worked beautifully.
It was gorgeous here yesterday so I glued the trim onto the chair outside.  Some people use a hot glue gun.  That works great, but you have to be super careful not to burn yourself.  I used fabric glue called Fabri-Tac.  I've been using this fabric glue for years and there is seriously nothing as amazing as this glue.  It goes on so easily and the fabric adheres immediately, just like a hot glue gun, without the fear of being burned.  
You can see how precise it allowed me to be with the trim.

Now my pretty little chair is done.  Not quite sure exactly where it is going since the chairs didn't work out as planned.  Apparently the Pottery Barn Teen Oh La La arm chairs have a seat height of only 16.5".  Most chairs are at least 18".  I didn't think that would make such a big difference but it does and the chairs are too low for my game table.  It's a perfect height for a tween or teen...clearly why it's sold at Pottery Barn TEEN.
I'm still super excited with how this chair came out.  
Can't wait to hear what you think.

-Judy

Pin It

Sharing with Savvy Southern Style

9 comments:

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

It came out great, Judy! I love the trim you added instead of doing cording. I love the fabric glues and try to use them over hot glue whenever I can. It's too bad they are too short for your game table. Would it be ridiculous to adjust the height of the table so you could use the chairs?

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

I love it, I think the fabric is gorgeus and you did such a great job. Looks amazing. Hugs, Marty

martin said...

The whole furniture looking here so luxurious and well crafted.Cozy sofa's and chairs are very nice.
Massage Therapy

andi filante said...

Love, love, LOVE! Absolutely gorgeous!!

-andi

Cynthia said...

Judy you did such a great job. I love how this turned out!


Cynthia

Unknown said...

It's gorgeous Judy - absolutely gorgeous - love the soft blue against the white!
Visiting from Savvy Southern Style
Hugs,
Suzan

HomeFor4 said...

oh that looks fabulous judy...i really like the flat trim that you used! love it!

now that you mentioned about fabri-tac, i will definitely try it!

huggies♥
rea

Crazy Wonderful said...

It looks amazing!!! And, that fabric is just the coolest :)

Lisa Lynn said...

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing on the Creative Home & Garden Hop! Hope to see you again today...
http://littlehomesteadonthehill.blogspot.com/2013/09/the-creative-home-garden-hop-7.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...