Pages

Friday, August 2, 2013

Teen Lounge Space Finally Started

I've been talking about this for a while, but I finally have gotten around to starting to work on the bonus room off of my son's room. It's a tough room because it has to fill so many needs.
I rarely share this room because it always looks like a mess to me when I walk by the room.
When my son was little we called it the "train room" since it was where we had all of his Thomas the Tank Engine trains and the room's theme was trains.  As my kids have grown the room has evolved.  Although it's a part of my son's room, it's a play room that they share.  These days there is not so much playing with toys going on as there is playing with X-Box.  
The room needs an update.  I was on the right track with the storage I created using Itso products I bought a Target several years ago.  However, my son builds Legos...and lots of them.  
He has built Legos all over the place.  
Image

I need something more like this so that I can display more of his Legos rather than have them scattered all over the house. But, I still need storage for everything else in the room.

Part of the reason this project has taken so long to get started is that the bookcases I wanted to purchase from Ikea that are the perfect width, didn't seem to be the perfect height.  The height of the ceiling before the ceiling slopes is 78 1/2".  The Billy bookcases I was considering are 79 1/2" high.  Then it hit me on the plane ride back from Michigan last week.  The ceiling slopes up so I only gain height if I pull it away from the wall a little, which I would have to do anyhow to get it even with the existing piece that holds the television in the room.  Did I lose you??  I think it will all make sense once I'm done.


So I spent hours the other day going through the toys and figuring out what could stay and what could go.  I started the rearranging process and went to Ikea and purchased the two bookcases.  This weekend I hope to start to put it all together.   I can't wait to share it with you.  Have a great weekend.
-Judy

Pin It


3 comments:

Kathy@DandelionsandDustBunnies said...

What a cool bonus room. Can't wait to see what you have in store.

Christine at Little Brags said...

I'm in the same boat....need more storage for Lego creations...lol....Looking forward to what you are getting at IKEA..Christine from Little Brags

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Such a great project, Judy! I found it a little bittersweet when I had redone my kids "play room" years ago at our old house. We wound up turning it into a little den or a place for them to hang out with their friends {since we had the great room for ourselves}. I'm looking forward to watching you transform this room!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...