Pages

Thursday, October 23, 2014

MacKenzie-Childs Inspired Pumpkins

I've always loved MacKenzie-Childs.  They make some absolutely beautiful things.  Their pumpkins are no exception.  However their signature pattern is black and white and although very pretty, it doesn't go that well with my decor.  Not to mention their pumpkins range from $50-$175 each.

Unfortunately, when you shop for faux pumpkins this late in the season, it's impossible to find the ones with the pretty stems.  Those got sold out probably back in August long before I was even thinking about Halloween.
So I settled for this basic pumpkin from Michaels.  Using paint I already had on hand, I went to work.
The first coat of paint I applied was chalk paint I had in pure white.  It covers well and is a good base for any other colors.  
I used a pencil to draw out the grid pattern.  My pumpkin lines weren't even all around which made it a little more challenging.  I used a linen white and a golden brown color on the pumpkins.


Next I highlighted with gold and aqua. I painted the stem a gold as well.   When I was happy with all of my highlighting,  I coated the whole pumpkin using polyurethane to give it the shine the MacKenzie-Childs pumpkins have.  

So my pumpkins cost $5 each for a total of $10.  
Not bad and such a pretty look.
What do you think?  Can't wait to hear.

-Judy

4 comments:

Gail @Purple Hues and Me said...

Turned out really cute! You can make stems to cover the little stumps using brown craft paper or bags and glue. Check out how I made mine for my decoupage pumpkins.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

I love these, how fun. You know I am all about gold, so this is perfect.

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

ADORABLE Judy...I love the way they turned out!!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Very pretty, Judy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...