Pages

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Another Valentine's Vignette and Topiary Tutorial

I'm not done with my Valentine's Day decorating yet.  
This time I created a vignette on my upstairs hallway table.
I knew I wanted to create a topiary, but wasn't sure what I was going to use to make it.  Then I looked in my gift wrap drawer and was inspired.
I created the topiary using tissue paper I had in the house (previously used in fact).

Here's what you need to create your own topiary:
4 sheets of tissue paper (I used two light pink, one hot pink and one white)
styrofoam ball
straight pins
candlestick (or a little vase would work well too)

First I cut two inch wide strips of tissue paper.
Starting at one end I gathered the tissue paper and gathered it as I turned it in my fingers.
I kept gathering it and turning it.
You really can't mess this up...you just keep gathering it until it resembles a rose.
Depending on how tight you gather it will determine the fullness of the flower.
Then using a straight pin, I simply attached the flower from it's base  
(where I was holding it with my fingers) into the styrofoam ball.
I continued to do this until almost all of the styrofoam ball was covered with flowers.
Then I simply sat it on top of a crystal candlestick holder.  
Easy peasy!!  I promise.
So pretty, yet so simple.
As for the rest of the vignette, I looked around my home and gathered anything with hearts.  
All I did was cut the striped paper to fit the frame and then cut out the birds 
and the LOVE into a smaller square.   Then I just
placed it into the silver frame I already had.
I also had a crystal heart frame.  I cut a pink heart out of the left over scrapbook 
paper and placed it in the frame as a background.  Then I hung some heart
 jewelry I own over the frame.
To finish it off, I used left over fabric and laid it over the table as a tablecloth.  
It's amazing what you can find in your own home.  
Cost of this vignette - free.

There's still time to enter the giveaway for vinyl wall quotes. Click here to enter.

I can't wait to hear what you think of my Valentine's Day vignette.  
I always love and appreciate your comments.

-Judy

Pin It

Participating in Tablescape Thursday

26 comments:

Debbiedoos said...

Really very cute Judy!

Gina said...

This is very pretty, Judy! I love a simple project like this. I also the soft pink tones of your vignette.

Rhonda said...

As always......beautiful! You are so vary talented to just whip this stuff up!! Love the idea of using your jewelry as part of the decor! Love the bracelet......Brighton??!!! Sorry, I notice everything! Love it all!

Donna~One Simple Country Girl said...

Love it! Pinning the topiary. Too cute! And I love the frames too! Thanks for sharing.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Love your vignette, Judy! How great would those tissue paper toparies look for a shower or wedding! Such a great idea to look around the house for heart things. I know I have a few pieces of jewelry with hearts.

Unknown said...

Super Cute! I love the topiary!!

Tricia said...

You make it look so easy! I love the fluffy look of the topiary, and the framed design is so clever!

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

Oh your flowers turned out great and look just beautiful.

At The Picket Fence said...

So darling Judy! I have a foam cone I'm going to try and do that with. It looks cute and easy which is my kind of craft! :-)
Vanessa

A Hint of Home said...

Those roses are darling! Very cute vignette!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh so pretty. I love how soft and femenine your vignette is. Great tutorial on the topiary. Hugs, Marty

Liz@A Dish Here, A Glass There said...

Very sweet! Great idea! Love the vignette!

Robin said...

Now that was really very cute - thanks for the tutorial - I just may be putting it to use!

laxsupermom said...

Love your topiary! Such a pretty addition to your vignette! Thanks for sharing.

anitamombanita said...

very cute. spoken by someone who is oh-so-not-crafty!

Susan Anderson said...

All of this is darling.

=)

Reba and Eldarose, sisters, friends and co-bloggers said...

I've been to your blog often and I've always loved what I've seen. I am sorry to say I've never left a comment before. I thought I'd come out of lurkdom today and tell you what a clever idea this is and how many of your clever ideas I have enjoyed. Thank you for sharing them.

Sincerely,
Eldarose from http://RE-inventedstyle.blogspot.com

Barbara F. said...

This is so pretty and not too difficult. Really cute idea. xo

Alycia Nichols said...

You have a lot of neat DIY designs! The bouquet is just adorable!!!

21 Wits said...

Stunning! So creative, and instead of free.... Priceless! ;)

Jan@southernjunkin' said...

Now I like that, shopping the home! Love the little 'love' frame!!

Unknown said...

Cute project! Love your hearts! Joann

storybeader said...

I think it's a great vignette! I posted your site on my pinterest page. It looks so nice and sounds so easy! {:-D

Entertaining Women said...

Pure confection! The topiary is darling. Thanks for sharing a tutorial and for inviting us for a peak. Cherry Kay

Jenny said...

Hi Judy! That topiary reminds me so much of sweet peas with the colors and the delicious free form blossoms!

Really, really lovely.

You can make everything look special!

Thanks for a jaunty little link for this weeks letter "J".

A+

Mary Hoeft said...

This is very pretty, Judy! I love a simple project like this. I also the soft pink tones of your vignette.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...