Pages

Friday, April 13, 2012

Spinach and Cheese Pie

I saw this recipe a few weeks ago while reading People magazine.  
I made it this week and it was a huge hit.  
I knew I needed to share it with all of you.
I started by taking a pie crust (I use the pillsbury ready made pie crust) and placed it in a pie pan and baked it for 10-15 minutes at 400 degrees.
While the pie crust was baking I cook fresh baby spinach in 2 tablespoons of butter until wilted.
I placed the spinach aside, and took 2 more tablespoons of butter and sauteed a small onion I had chopped finely until the onion was soft.  Once the spinach was a bit cooled, I chopped it up as well.
Then I placed the onion and the spinach in the cooked pie crust.
Meanwhile in a bowl I combined two heaping cups of shredded cheddar cheese, two eggs plus two yolks, 2/3 cup of heavy cream, 1 tsp of ground mustard and salt and pepper.  
I poured that mixture over the spinach and onions.  I then baked it for thirty minutes at 450 degrees.
I let it sit for about five minutes before cutting it.

So delicious!!

RECIPE:
9 in tart pan lined with pie dough
9 oz baby spinach
4 tbsp butter
1 onion finely chopped
2 heaping cups grated cheddar cheese
2 whole eggs plus 2 yolks
2/3 cup heavy cream
1 tsp dry mustard
salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Place lined tart pan in oven and bake for 10-15 minutes.
2. Gently cook spinach with half the butter, until wilted.  Drain and chop finely.  Heat rest of butter and cook onions until soft.  Spread spinach and onion over bottom of pie crust.
3. Mix eggs, yolks, cream, dry mustard salt and pepper until combined.  Pour over spinach and onion and return to oven for 20-25 minutes until top is golden.  Turn off heat and leave in oven for 5 minutes.  Serve.
Hope you get a chance to try making this.

Have a great weekend.
-Judy
Pin It

9 comments:

Gina said...

Oh yum! That looks so delicious & easy too! I'm glad you shared this with us.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh this sounds soooooooooo good. I love recipes like this. Makes a great meal without meat and all in one dish. I will definitely try this one. Hugs, Marty

NanaDiana said...

Thanks, Judy- We love quiche here. My daughter is making 7 quiches for her daughter's first communion this weekend. I am posting this recipe forward to her. xo Diana

Susan Anderson said...

YUMMY!

=)

Cynthia said...

This sounds good I wil have to try this one this would be good for brunch. Thanks Judy

Cynthia

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Yum Judy, this looks so good. I want to try making it next week. Thanks for sharing!
Hugs,
Jann

TracieD said...

Hi Judy, I just noticed your post in my reader because I though it was my post!lol I had just uploaded my pics for a Spinach & Cheese Pie I made for a Good Friday BBQ! Everyone loved it, I was so glad I made it. I really enjoy reading your blog xx

The Kim Six Fix said...

That looks absolutely delicious. And although my kids aren't big spinach fans, I bet if I told them we were having "pie" for dinner they would change their tune! :)

Nicole Day said...

Hi! I had frozen crust and spinach on hand, so I used those and tried this recipe. It's delicious! I loved that it was less eggy than regular quiche and done in half the time. My family loved it too. It's a keeper! Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...