Pages

Monday, March 25, 2013

Artwork on a Budget

Happy Monday!  My kids are on spring break this week so I may not be around blogland as much as usual.  This weekend I continued to put the finishing touches on our newly renovated basement.   
Directly across from this Ikea piece is a long wall that I needed some wall art to cover.  This is our downstairs family room and I wanted the artwork that covered this long wall to have some meaning.  I also wanted the artwork to be large and cohesive.  
How about framing puzzles?  We have been putting together puzzles from the same collection over the school breaks for the past few years.  We have put together three so far and have one more to go.
I went to Ikea and bought four of the RIBBA frames with mat.  The puzzles are all from the same collection so they "go together" well.  To give them even more presence, I chose frames that have a mat.  It gives it an art gallery appearance.
Using duct tape, I taped the puzzle to the back of the mat.  (Note, after this photo I decided to tape all around the puzzle rather than four small pieces to make sure nothing moves).
Then I did some math.  I added together the width of all four frames and subtracted it from the length of the wall.  Then I decided how many inches I wanted between the photos and evenly divided the remaining space on either end.  Then I did the math to figure out exactly where each of the picture hooks would go.  I made sure when I wired the back of each frame, I had the exact amount of space from the wire to the top of the frame.  

All of this math made hanging the artwork all at the same height much easier.
 You'll notice the last frame on the floor.  I already put the picture hooks in the wall, so it is ready whenever the last puzzle is ready.
Here is the puzzle for the last frame.
Hopefully we can finish it by the end of the break!

Once it's done, I will reveal the entire wall with all with the furniture back in place.


Hope you have a great day.
What do you think of my fun, puzzle art?
Anyone else enjoy doing puzzles?

-Judy

Pin It

11 comments:

Phyllis @Around the House said...

The basement looks wonderful, love the pictures of puzzles, what a great idea to do with the cool puzzles once they are done, love the couch and the pretty pic of horses...

Gina said...

I think framing the puzzles is a great idea and different too! Enjoy having the kids home for spring break!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

That's such a great idea, Judy! They suit the wall well, too.

Grace @ Sense and Simplicity said...

What a great idea. I"m impressed you still had the other puzzles from previous years and they were still together. The set really fills the wall well.

Much Ado About Somethin said...

Love it!! I used to have a frame that I would rotate completed puzzles in! Love the four together!

Unknown said...

Your basement looks great! I love the idea of framing your puzzles...they look great and have a special meaning as well -- love it!

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

What an awesome idea Judy...I love it!!

Sibel-ish said...

Very good idea! I loved your puzzles!

Unknown said...

What a stunning idea..!
loved your frames..:)

Android Developer

Maria Elena said...

What an amazing idea! It looks wonderful. Enjoy your Spring break!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh I love this idea, how fun. Your room is looking fabulous. Thanks for joining TTT and I hope you have a very Blessed EAster. Hugs, Marty

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...