I am away at a tournament in Kalamazoo Michigan with my daughter this week so I thought I would share one of my favorite projects from the past. I have made many things for my daughter's room. I made this Pottery Barn Teen inspired style tile board
for her room.
After I hung it up, it just didn't look complete.
It seemed a little high and to be just floating there.
Then I remembered that I had bought these letters from Target a few months back. They were on clearance for only $1.48 each! My daughter's name is Sydney, but Target only had a few letters left so I could only get a S, Y and a D. That was okay because so many people call her Syd anyhow and she really likes that nickname. I didn't know what I was going to do with these letters when I bought them, but when I saw how awkward the memo board looked all alone, I knew exactly what I would do with them.
At first I thought I would cover them with scrapbook paper. But then I realized it would look so much cooler if I used fabric. So, I started by using the left over fabric from the style tiles and ironing on fabric interfacing I have on hand that I use with my Silhouette machine. I then laid the letter upside down on the backside of the fabric (the part with the interfacing on it).
Then using an exacto knife on a cutting board, I carefully cut around the letters. I didn't trace it first, I was just very careful not to move my letters until I was done cutting. The interfacing keeps your cuts perfectly clean with no fraying of fabric.
Then using Mod Podge, I adhered the cut fabric onto the front of the letters. I only applied the Mod Podge to the back of the fabric (not the face of the fabric).
This project was done for a total of $4.50!! Using leftover fabric and things I had in the house, I made very custom letters for her room. She loves it. It certainly adds to the tween vibe of her new room.
Plus it allowed me to lower the style tiles so that my daughter can reach them better (I covered the hole in the wall from where I originally hung the board with the letter Y-faster than patching the hole - Lol).
So incredibly easy but with a really professional end result. I want to make more of these!!
I hope you will let me know what you think of this project.