Pages

Monday, July 22, 2013

Embroidery Hoop Clock

I love embroidery hoops.  
They are just so versatile.  
You can check out here and here what I've done with them before.  
I made this clock for my daughter's room for a while back.  It's such a quick and easy project, that I thought it would be fun to share it again.  
For this project I used some left over Thomas Paul Aviary fabric I used on my daughter's desk chair,
an embroidery hoop, buttons and a clock kit
(which I bought using a 50% off coupon from AC Moore).

I started by painting the outside of the embroidery hoop an aqua color to coordinate with the fabric.
I then traced around the smaller embroidery hoop onto a sturdy piece of cardboard -
(I used a thick box I had).   I then cut it out using a sharp knife.
I put my fabric in the embroidery hoop and started to sew on the buttons for the numbers on the clock.
Once I was done sewing on all of the buttons, I added the cardboard to the back, blank side to the front (my fabric is a little see-through so I didn't want to see the words peak through by mistake).  The cardboard fit snugly so there was no reason for glue.
Now that the cardboard was in place it was time to add the hole for my clock kit to fit through.  I used an awl to make the hole.  I made the hole just big enough to fit the clock mechanism.
I then put together my clock kit.  The hands of the clock were gold, which I didn't love with the aqua.  I took the hands back off and painted them silver using some model airplane paint we had in the house.
It hangs in my daughter's room above her closet doors.
and coordinates perfectly with her desk chair.

What do you think of the clock?
I can't wait to hear.

-Judy
Pin It


partying here

2 comments:

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Very clever, Judy!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

How so very clever!!!....just love it Judy!! it is just adorable!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...