Pages

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

From Cereal Box to DIY Magazine Holder

I have been slowly deciding what goes back into my living room and dining room after their recent paint updates.  Having the room empty for a few days really gave me the push I needed to declutter both rooms and only put back what I really want in the rooms.  There are certain things that must go back, but I definitely need to put them back in a much more organized way.  
My kids piano books have never really had a home.  They would sit in a basket on the floor, but that basket was always overflowing.  I knew I needed a better solution.  I have a built in book shelf in my dining room and after using some of the home decor books in some of my vignettes, space opened up.  I knew I wanted to use magazine holders for the kid's books, so I decided to turn my kid's cereal boxes into magazine/piano book holders.
This is a really easy project...one I put together in less than a half hour yesterday morning.  I used two of the same extra large cereal boxes.  You want to make sure the box you choose is large enough to accommodate the magazines/books you plan on using it for.  I covered the boxes using some temporary wallpaper I had left over from this project.  
Temporary Wallpaper backsplash 
You could also use contact paper or scrapbook paper with mod podge.  The temporary wallpaper was easy to work with and is a little thicker than contact paper which gives the boxes more stability.  I covered both the inside and outside of the boxes for a more finished look, but you could certainly just cover the outside.  
After covering the boxes, I used my Silhouette machine and printed out these labels. 
I cut them out and glued them onto these name tag self-stick badges and then cut it out to size.
Using the badges made my labels self-sticking.
So much more organized than the pile on the floor. Lol

Can't wait to hear what you think.

-Judy

Pin It
Sharing with Savvy Southern Style

16 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

This is such a great idea. I love it. How fun. Great tutorial too. Hugs, Marty

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Very pretty and a great idea, Judy! I love that you used cereal boxes for this project.

Elizabeth said...

Oh, I may have to go ahead and do this!! We have piano books too that just don't sit well on the shelves and need a pretty place to dwell! : )

Patty Rumaker said...

That is a very cool idea! It looks great too!
Patty at Home and Lifestyle Design

The Pin Junkie said...

I made some magazine holders out of boxes like this too, but I really like the color and pattern you used much better than mine! Love your lighter and brighter dining room too!

Unknown said...

These are so cute and functional! I'd love it if you linked up to The Makers link party going on at my blog right now, http://upcycledtreasures.com/2014/02/the-makers-link-party-5/

-Katie @ Upcycled Treasures

James Anderson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ethan Smith said...

Design Your own custom Boxes with your branded logo. In fact, packaging becoming more necessary for life nowadays.
Many people are coming with new ideas of packaging with wonderful designs. Internation markets also getting advance in printing solutions. Fact is that to be good looking that’s now become necessary to have innovative packaging styles. For more details. Get Your's .

BoxesMe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Custom Boxes Print said...

Social Media marketing is very important for online business. Along with Social Media Marketing you can also utilize SEO and email marketing to get benefits of growth in your business.
Custom Printed Boxes
Custom Boxes with Logo

Retail Packaging said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Packaging Ninjas said...

Whether cigarette is cause for the dangerous disease but also different countries packaging the customized cigarette boxes. In the USA Custom cigarette boxes are customized customer design their favorite logo, shape, and design. To build the fulfillment and reliability of the clients, cigarette boxes assume an imperative job. These containers are accessible in various plans that make them extraordinary and creative. They can likewise be redone into the necessary shapes and sizes as indicated by the interest of the clients. That is the reason the clients get fulfilled to frame the items and the brand moreover.

Custom Printed Boxes latest said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carter John said...

Packaging Republic is masters and experts in rigid box packaging . If you need the Best Services in USA, contact us.

Custom Boxes USA said...

A nice way to send and sincere. Here I want to show you my Business which is about Custom Cereal Boxes with free shipping. RushPackaging is a guide in the field of packaging. We are working in the USA but we give our custom packaging solutions throughout the world. We charge a sensible amount in terms of our quality services. Choose us to get the best for yourself.
Popcorn Boxes Wholesale
Custom Burger Boxes
Cupcake Boxes Wholesale
Blank Cereal Boxes

Lauren Winsett said...

Custom packaging is as important as the product itself. It’s the design elements that come together to make the packaging pop off the shelf and differentiate the product from the others next to it. Custom Cereal Box Packaging

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...