Pages

Monday, February 3, 2014

Living Room Floor Plan Options

Happy Monday.  My kids are home from school as it is snowing here...again.  I was so happy when the phone call came in this morning canceling school which gave me the opportunity to get some more sleep.  As you know, the painters are coming tomorrow to paint the living room and dining room. We completely emptied the rooms this weekend.  Once the rooms were empty it became much easier to picture different floor plans than when the furniture was in the room.  This room is tough to layout because there are three large pieces in the room that have to be placed...the baby grand piano, the sofa and the curio cabinet.
This is the current configuration in the living room. 

 It is a pretty good layout, however I never loved how the piano blocked the side window and how the sofa was right up against the piano.  

Prior to this configuration, we had the piano in the bay window area.
(can you tell...photos before blogging)
The piano looked just way too massive when you first walked into the room.  You can see the curio cabinet in this photo.  It's right up against the wall with the columns.

Here are some of the versions I have come up with for after the painters leave.  In version two the piano tries out a third location.  We laid it out with the furniture this weekend as we were emptying the room and we think we may like this configuration.  The only big "if" is the curio cabinet.  It balances the side window well but there is just enough room for the sofa in between the window and the curio.  We tried switching the loveseat and the sofa but it looked a little off that way.  
In option three, we find the piano back in front of the side window, however I have moved the curio from up against the columns to when you first enter the room.  I have also switched up the sofa and the loveseat.  
The only difference between option 3 and 4 is that the curio is centered on the short wall.  I don't know if that really works or how that would look.  
I'm leaning toward option 2 right now.  The hardest thing to move around is the piano.  Not just because it is heavy, but it seems to be denting the hardwood floors when we roll it around and you can actually see the trail of where we have moved it.  Thankfully an area rug is going back into the room.

What do you think?  Which option do you like?  Do tell.

-Judy

Pin It


7 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

I think I like #2 the best also. Seems to open the space up a little more. Hugs, Marty

Dixie Delights said...

I'm with Marty. I think I like option 2. I love the piano!!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Option 2 does look like the best way ~ on paper anyway. I guess you will have to see how it looks in person before making a final decision, Judy. I know that I have changed my mind about layouts after I have actually moved things into place.

Anonymous said...

I would remove one piece of furniture and try the room without it then look around the house for the perfect replacement. Jo @ Let's Face the Music

JGardner said...

I'd like to suggest that you turn the piano around so that the player is facing out into the room. That side of the piano is also prettier and rounded so that it looks more like a furniture piece. Great place for frames or candlesticks.

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing these! Personally, I think the third living room design is most proper, as there more symmetry on the room details with respect to the floor template, and opens up the area best. Either way, these are a fine bunch of ideas, and it's always best to run our plans through several drafts so that we do not get only one which we'll find most suitable, but also consider other ideas that might complement our original concept, therefore improving it further.

Co Construct

Multiform Interiors said...

You can model a dream home, you need a 2D and 3D view of the structure. Take advantage of modern designing techniques, spacious and planned layout, and innovative décor, so the space is always bright and comfortable. Elegant lighting adds even more appeal to their interiors.
<a href="http://www.multiforminteriors.com/Floor plan designer In Delhi</a>
http://www.multiforminteriors.com/floor-plan-design-delhi

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...