Pages

Monday, February 24, 2014

Lesson Learned - Buy It When You See It

Happy Monday.  My kids were off all last week and had two snow days from the previous week so they haven't been in school in thirteen days.  We had lots of fun while they were home, but it caused me to be pretty scarce from the blog world.  I have been on a mission to find a new area rug for my newly repainted living room.  This is when a paint job becomes more than just a paint job.
I feel like the current area rug dates the room, so I started a search to find a replacement rug.
On my first day out trying to find a rug I came across this rug at Home Goods.  Since it was my first stop, I thought I should look around some more before grabbing the first rug I saw.  The colors, the size and the style were pretty spot on.  The rug was a steal at $300.  However, I debated and decided that I didn't want to buy it and then have to possibly return it, especially since I hadn't searched out the market yet.  Now I could kick myself because it's three weeks later and I still haven't found a rug after hours and hours of searching.  

This is definitely a flaw in my personality.  I always feel like I have to search the market high and low until I am satisfied that I have seen everything that could be offered and then and only then do I feel good about my decision.  For the record...I typically I go back to the first item I saw.  
The only other rug that I have found that I love is a one of a kind hand-knotted rug that unfortunately sells for much more than I wanted to spend.

It's a poor quality photo, but the rug is really stunning.  Obviously there's a night and day difference between the quality of the Home Goods rug and this rug, but that it reflected in the price difference.  Believe it or not, it's actually a great price for this rug.  It's a different decision if I get this rug.  It becomes an investment piece.  We have a gorgeous hand-knotted rug in our great room which we have had for over ten years and love it as much today as the day we got it.  These hand knotted rugs are truly masterpieces taking sometimes more than a year to make.  

So the hunt continues...
Lesson learned, especially when it comes to Home Goods...buy it when you see it.

Has this ever happened to you??

-Judy

Pin It
Sharing with Savvy Southern Style
Sharing with The Scoop
Sharing with A Stroll Thru Life

13 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Yes, all the time. I always think I need to look around too. Good luck on the hunt. Hugs, Marty

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Judy I recently bought a hand knotted rug for my living room...your right they are pricey but worth every penny! Can't wait to see what you decide!

Have you tried Overstock?

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I do that, too, sometimes, Judy. The only time I buy something without going any further is if I know it is a one of a kind {like at an antique mall}. There have been a few things I've regretted not getting when I saw them.

Unknown said...

BUT IT!

Unknown said...

I Meant BUY it!!

Jo said...

I can't possibly purchase anything without having a number of estimates and looking high and low. Once I searched for the right wallpaper for so long that the one I chose (the first one as you say)had been discontinued. Rue the day! Jo @ Let's Face the Music

Debra@CommonGround said...

Your new paint color in the living room is beyond gorgeous. what a perfect color with your furniture and draperies! Love both rugs!

Anonymous said...

All the time!! I always have to ckeck all the markets and only then I become sure that the first one I saw is the right one..Hugs, Cristina

Anonymous said...

That is exactly how I am too! Sometimes it can become overwhelming to shop for something for our home. So sorry you missed out on the first one, hope something comes along soon!

Gina said...

I've done it so many times, I could scream! But, I'm finally learning from my mistakes. It seems like I buy everything now, then make a ton of returns! lol It beats being angry that I missed out on something.

Both rugs are lovely! I just ordered a rug from Joss & Main. Oh I hope I like it when it gets here!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I have done this too!

We have a couple of hand knotted rugs. We have one that is over 10 years old and wears like iron, as well as being a beautiful work of art.
The new rug in the living room is hand knotted. The first one is from ebay the second from Overstock.
I have always had excellent experiences with my rug purchases from Overstock.

Traci said...

Oh yes, it happens to me often! One day I'll learn. The rug is gorgeous!

andi filante said...

YES! TJ Maxx had the perfect accent chairs and I didn't buy them because it was the first place I'd looked. And, of course, then they were gone. I kept going back week after week and they never got any more.

Except then they finally did! It was probably 6 weeks later, but needless to say, I bought them on the spot! Good luck!

-andi

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...