Pages

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

End Table Makeover

Well, technically it's a media cabinet, but we have always used it as an end table.
This end table was from my husband's Grandmother home.  

It was in rough shape when we got it.  It was right before I started blogging - literally (and I shared the makeover of everything we inherited in my fifth post - yes my actual fifth post ever).  I had just finished completely stripping and sanding down a big dresser that we also inherited which took me a full day to sand.  I remember hand sanding the top of this and anywhere on it that needed it and then just adding stain to the damaged areas. 
Here is a closeup of the top (after the first time I fixed it up).  It has bothered me for a while now that is was such a blotchy finish. I think I had just run out of steam after working on the big dresser.  The idea of sanding down another entire piece made me a little sick at the time.  Lol
 I decided to give this piece a new life this past weekend.
I ordered myself a new color (well, new to me) of chalk paint - Louis Blue.
I am in the process of infusing some color into our finished basement.  
These are the drapes I made for my basement. 
 I found my color inspiration for this furniture directly from the fabric.  
This time I completely sanded the top using an electric hand sander.
I painted the outside Louis Blue and the inside Old White.
I wasn't taking any chances this time and used a pre-stain wood conditioner on the top before staining.
I love how beautiful the top looks now.  I stained it in a combination of pecan and mahogany - which is what I had in the house already (only a touch of mahogany to make it a bit darker).
The hardware is the same, although it looks ten times better now that you can actually see it.

I used a little Paris Gray to bring out the details and then used a clear wax followed by a dark wax.

I am in love with this now.  The transformation was so dramatic that my husband and kids couldn't figure out where this piece of furniture was in the house prior to the transformation.  It was so dark and blah they never even noticed it.  

It looks so good that I decided it works even better on the other side of the room.


I can't wait to hear what you think!!

Here's another look at the before and after.

Don't forget to stop back tonight for my Fall into Fall party.

The link opens at 8pm EST.  
Hope to see you then.


-Judy
Pin It


Sharing with Savvy Southern Style

30 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful! I love the color and those drapes? Awesome fabric!

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Judy I LOVE IT!! What a pretty piece and I love your color choice!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

What a beauty now, Judy! It's amazing how different it looks with its new paint job!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh wow, I love it. What a fabulous piece and the transformation is stunning. Looks perfect in your room. Hugs, Marty

Ange said...

That looks beautiful!!! Love the fabric in the curtains and the color of the ASCP. The hardware definitely is more noticeable. Great makeover!

Gina said...

Oh it's beautiful Judy! I love the color! Great job!

Bonnie@Creative Decorating said...

Stopping by from Table Top Tuesday to see your end table makeover. Love the colors and finish. Those projects can be overwhelming after awhile. However, in the end it turned out great! Looks good there with the curtains. Love it!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Now that is a fantastic transformation...I so love the color...it looks so beautiful in the room...and I really like its new home!

Calleigh said...

Thanks for the post. We have similar end table that I was planning to get a makeover. I love the color..

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Beautiful makeover, Judy. You can't help but notice it now. Great color choice.

Anonymous said...

NICE job! Quite the transformation!

Unknown said...

I love it! It's an amazing transformation and I love the whole space! Awesome makeover!

Cynthia said...

What a great makeover. Looks fantastic.

Cynthia

Anonymous said...

Looks fantastic~! I am inspired to work on my two that I picked up! Thank you for sharing!!

Jayni said...

This is gorgeous, and I have a piece that SO needs the same treatment. Unfortunately, I have never redone a piece of furniture--I've been waiting until I grow up! LOL

Since I am 68 years old, I may die before a get the courage, but I just desperately want to.

thanks for being an inspiration.

Cynthia said...

Gorgeous transformation! Love the colour combination!

Restore and Renew said...

This turned out beautiful! Donna G.

Cecilia said...

Judy, that is one awesome makeover! What a difference! It is no longer an ugly duckling - wow!

Home Stars said...

What a fabulous post this has been. Never seen this kind of useful post. thanks for sharing.
Table Chairs
Furniture Stores In Denver Colorado
Dining Sets Cheap

Donald J. Olson said...

Our task composing administration is the best answer for understudies in the UK. We have a group of committed PhDs British essayists that can help with any custom. see here https://www.premiumdissertation.co.uk

tubidy said...


Having read this I believed it was extremely informative. I appreciate you finding the time and energy to put this content together. I once again find myself personally spending a significant amount of time both reading and leaving comments. But so what, it was still worth it!.tubidy

tubidy said...

There is definately a great deal to find out about this topic. I like all the points you have made.

tnmachi

tubidy said...

Hi, I do think this is an excellent site. I stumbledupon it ;) I may revisit yet again since I book-marked it. Money and freedom is the greatest way to change, may you be rich and continue to help other people.movieswood

tubidy said...

May I just say what a comfort to uncover somebody that genuinely knows what they are talking about over the internet. You certainly understand how to bring a problem to light and make it important. A lot more people need to read this and understand this side of the story. I was surprised that you're not more popular since you most certainly have the gift.kissanime

tubidy said...

I was excited to discover this website. I need to to thank you for ones time for this wonderful read!! I definitely appreciated every bit of it and I have you saved as a favorite to check out new information in your website.mastihot

Birdie said...


Best Plasma Cutter Great blog you have got here.. It’s difficult to find excellent writing like yours nowadays. I truly appreciate people like you! Take care!!

Birdie said...


Best Plasma Cutter Can I simply say what a comfort to discover a person that really understands what they are talking about over the internet. You certainly realize how to bring a problem to light and make it important. A lot more people ought to look at this and understand this side of your story. I was surprised you aren't more popular since you surely have the gift.

tubidy said...

Spot on with this write-up, I actually feel this amazing site needs a great deal more attention. I’ll probably be returning to read through more, thanks for the info!.Cheap Plasama Cutter

tubidy said...

I blog quite often and I truly appreciate your information. This article has truly peaked my interest. I will book mark your blog and keep checking for new details about once per week. I subscribed to your Feed as well.
Best Plasma Cutter Under 1000

IP CUBE said...

Website Maken Amsterdam

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...