Pages

Monday, November 5, 2012

Pottery Barn Kids Carolina Table Grows Up

We bought the Pottery Barn Kids Carolina play table for our kids ten years ago.

The table is solid wood and extremely well made.   My kids are 12 and 15, and since the table is only 22" high, it is just too low for them now and it is rarely used these days. 
 The table was expensive at the time (not to mention the four chairs we bought for it). 
 I think the table may actually be less money these days.
The table is still is perfect shape and it seemed a shame that it was just sitting in the basement.
I turned the table over to check out exactly how the legs were attached.  I realized that I could probably easily replace the existing legs with longer legs.  I went to Lowes and found these 28" legs that I loved. 
I bought four legs and a kit I thought I would need.  As it turned out I really only needed to buy the legs.  I was able to use the existing screws from the original legs on the new legs.  
All I had to do was take the leg and hold it in place on the table and mark off exactly where the hole would need to be drilled.  
The new legs screwed on easily.  It is a perfect size sewing table.  
I am so excited to be able to have a real use for this table.  

 I debated for a few days whether or not I would paint the legs a different color or try to match the stain.  I was able to find the perfect stain match at Home Depot - Pecan Satin

...so I decided to stain the legs.  

Here is the Carolina Table all grown up.

I know so many of you must have these Pottery Barn tables.
When your kids or grandkids outgrow them, you now know that you can turn them into an adult-sized  table you can use.  

Total Cost - $40
4 table legs - $8.00 each
stain - $8.00

Now if I could only figure out a way to make the PB Kids Carolina chairs larger. :)

Can't wait to hear what you think.
-Judy
Pin It


Sharing with Between Naps on the Porch

19 comments:

Gabi said...

Love it! I actually love the new legs much better than what it originally came with. :) Nice job!

FabTwigs said...

It looks great! Actually I am looking for furniture legs. Where can I find them? www.fabtwigs.com

Shary said...

What a great way to reuse a kids table! And if you hang on to it until grandkids come along you could always put the short legs back on.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

What a great way to repurpose your kids old table, Judy! Such a great idea to use it as a sewing table, too.

Dixie Delights said...

I am SO doing this in a few years!! Thanks for the inspiration :-)

KC Coake said...

What a great idea! It looks fantastic.

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

What a great idea Judy! Looks great!

FabTwigs said...

Hi Judy! Thanks for following my blog and letting me know where to find these furniture legs! You are great! ;-)

Unknown said...

Wonderful job!

Dagmar
Dagmar's momsense

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

Now that was brilliant! What a great way to repurpose that table and you got two lives out of it! I'm glad you stained the legs to match- it looks perfect!

At The Picket Fence said...

Great job Judy! I love that you re-purposed it and I'm not jealous at all that you have a spot for your sewing machine to be out like that! ;-)
Vanessa

Ana Love Craft said...

Fabulous idea! Great work!!!Thanks so much for sharing tutorial! I'd love for you to visit my blog.
Happy week!

Hugs from Portugal,

Ana Love Craft
www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

What a great table. I love it. Thanks for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

Linda @ it all started with paint said...

Okay, I have a PB kids table that I was thinking could make a desk but it's just a bit too short ... now I think I may just try this idea!

Thanks for the smarts, the tutorial and the inspiration!

:)

Linda

An Oasis in the Desert said...

That's a wonderful use of the table. It's so great when we can repurpose things. That's a beauty of a sewing machine!

Unknown said...

This is awesome! What a great way to help your table "grow up" into a big girl sewing table! I just love it!
Thanks so much for sharing with the Pink Hippo Party!
xoxo
Amie @ pinkapotamus

Be Colorful Coastal said...

Oh you are a clever one. Now everybody is saying "Of course, why didn't I think of that"? :D Love how it looks now and how you are using it. Thanks for sharing on BeColorful.
p

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Wow Judy, what a clever and thrifty update!

Home Stars said...

What a great idea! thanks for sharing.
Designer Dining Table And Chairs
Formal Dining Room Sets
Formal Dining Room Sets
Furniture Denver
Bench Table And Chairs
Mattress Stores Denver

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...