Pages

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Fabric Covered Lampshade Tutorial

There are some big changes beginning in my finished basement.  The closet is almost done.  We are in the process of pricing out an a/c unit for the room and once that is installed we will be making some other changes as well.  The a/c is holding us up right now, but not stopping me from going forward with some smaller projects for the room.

I love this aqua lamp I bought from Home Goods a few years ago. 
 The shade is plain white. I have been wanting to to do something with the shade for a while now.
I recently moved the lamp to this side of the room. The lamp and the fabric coordinate so well.  That's when it hit me that I could cover the lampshade in fabric and really take this lamp to another level.
I had a little of my favorite fabric left over - Aviary by Thomas Paul.
Luckily, it only takes a little fabric to completely transform a lampshade.
I started by using fabric glue and ran a thin line of glue along the seam of the shade. I use Fabric-Tac glue.  I think it's the best fabric glue out there - it bonds instantly and dries clear.  I adhered the fabric to the seam and then cut the fabric on the top and bottom of the lamp shade leaving about an inch on each side.  I cut the fabric as I rolled the shade to end up with a curved piece of fabric.
Then I folded the fabric under and again used fabric glue to adhere the fabric and end up with a clean edge.  You don't want too much fabric to fold under or else when the lamp is on you will see a big seam.  You don't want too little fabric either or it is hard to glue.  It's sort of the Goldilocks and the Three Bears of projects.
I alternated from top to bottom until I made it all around the shade.
Once all the way around I cut the remaining fabric leaving approximately an inch.  I folded it under and used my fabric glue to make a perfect seam.
Using fabric glue again, I adhered matching ribbon to the bottom...
 and then the top.

I love my new lampshade and it was so easy.
Now I can't wait to finish up the basement so that I can put it back in place.
Hope you will try covering a lampshade.
Let me know what you think.

Don't forget to stop back tonight for my Fall into Fall party.

The link opens at 8pm EST.  
Hope to see you then.


-Judy
Pin It


Sharing with Savvy Southern Style

21 comments:

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Love this. That fabric is perfect with the base.

Trisha @ The Sweet Survival said...

What a beautiful makeover of that lampshade.

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

That looks great Judy! Pretty fabric!

Unknown said...

Cute lamp and I love that fabric. Can't wait to see it back in it's spot!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Your shade turned out beautiful, Judy! That fabric goes perfectly with the lamp! I love it and the ribbon was the perfect finishing touch.

Lisa said...

That fabric looks great with that base. Very pretty.

Much Ado About Somethin said...

So pretty! That fabric was perfect!

Robyn said...

I love this! It's perfect.

Maria Elena said...

I love your new lampshade! What an awesome idea! Very, very pretty!

Debra said...

Wow! I love this. The fabric is beautiful!

ana@carpe_diem said...

this turned out just great! i love it!

Gail said...

That looks great Judy! You make it look so easy. Unfortunately, I haven't had the best of luck with covering lampshades. Hope you are having a wonderful day, Gail

smart momma said...

your makeover looks awesome! i really like the fabric you used :)

huggies***
rea

Athena at Minerva's Garden said...

Judy, your lamp is so pretty--I love the aqua color of the base, and the fabric and ribbon trim on the shade are just perfect!

Shari @ turnstylevogue.com said...

You did a wonderful job. The fabric choice was perfect!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Gorgeous fabric and great tutorial. Thanks for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

Pat@Life At Lydias House said...

What a difference that fabric makes! I love it!

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Oh pretty! I just love that fabric!

jelly andrews said...

I really appreciate that you’ve shared this tutorial. This is really amazing. It turns out really great. I love that fabric.

Bloomsandbugs said...

This looks fab! I featured it here:
http://sewprettysewfree.blogspot.com/2013/03/recovering-lampshade.html

Savannah Attic said...

The Fabric is Perfect with the Base or use could have went with a cashmere beige but what I really loved is You made it so Easy and Give Great Instructions...I am going to look some more I have been missing out on allot. Great Job Lisa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...