Pages

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Chalk Paint Project Finished

My first chalk paint project is finished.  I am very happy with the results.  This project started with an awesome Craigslist purchase.   $20 - what a deal!
photo from Craigslist
The chair had some great bones.  I started this project by stripping the chair of all fabric.  It wasn't easy...it had nailhead trim all over it.

It was at this point that the fun began.  I had ordered Anne Sloan's chalk paint from Robyn Story Designs, a retailer in Florida.  They were awesome to deal with...I ordered late on a Friday afternoon and received my Anne Sloan paint, waxes and brushes by Wednesday morning. Don't you just love instant gratification?  If you are in the market for chalk paint, you should call Robyn Story Designs...they have inventory of Anne Sloan paint and waxes and are so helpful on the phone.
I started by painting the chair a combination of Duck Egg Blue with highlights of Old White.
After painting the entire chair, I used the clear wax.  I had ordered the wax brush, but because this chair had so much detail, I found it easier to use a rag to apply the wax.  I will use the wax brush on my next project.


You can see in the above photo that when you first apply the clear wax it slightly darkens the paint color.  However, once it dries, it lightens up again.
I tried to get a close up of what it looked like when I went to sand it to start distressing.  I think this is where you can really see the benefit of chalk paint vs. latex.  You know when you go to distress latex how sometimes it doesn't evenly sand off...or it will peel?  That doesn't happen with chalk paint.  It's super easy to distress and even easier to control how much you want distressed.  One tip...definitely wear a mask when you sand.  There is definitely more dust that with latex (however, less after waxing than before...I had sanded some before and then it's like clapping erasers together).
I also ordered the dark wax.  I used this extremely sparingly.  I again used a rag, dipped it in the wax and then wiped off most on a paper towel before applying it to my chair.  I just wanted to give some dimension to the detail...not totally change the color.
I had saved all the pieces from when I took off the original upholstery.  Makes it very easy to use it as a pattern.  I used foam I had for the under cushion.
Using my electric bread knife, I cut the foam to size easily.
I used a drop cloth I purchased from Home Depot as my fabric.  I cut a piece a little larger than I needed and laid it over the seat.
  Using the air compressor staple gun I got for Christmas...

I started stapling...
...and stapling.
Once it was stapled all around, I cut away the excess fabric.
I then cut out the fabric for the arms and the back and front.  I added foam and then stapled it all around.
Again, I cut away the fabric.  It doesn't have to be perfect...the trim will cover all of the staples.
For the back I started by stapling the fabric from the front.  I cut away all the excess.
I then added a piece of batting.
Then I added the cardboard (I used the same piece I had removed...it was still in good shape), then the foam, more batting and then the top fabric.  Yeah...this part wasn't so easy.  With that many layers it was hard to get it all to line up.  However, after I got a few staples in, I was home free.
It was now time for the trim.  I bought the trim from JoAnn's for $0.99/yard and then someone handed me a 10% off coupon when I was checking out, so I only paid $0.89/yard.  I bought eight yards ( I had about a yard left, but my rule of thumb is to always buy more than less...nothing is worse than having to go back out when you are in the middle of a project).
Using my hot glue gun and my scissors (rather than my fingers to push it into place) I attached the trim.  If you've ever worked with hot glue you know that you can burn your fingers so easily, so I like to use my scissors...the glue peels right off the scissors.
I'd like to say I was done at this point, but I still had to make the box cushion for the seat.  Again I used the old fabric as a pattern and cut out a front and a back to the seat cushion and the side panel.  I also made cording to coordinate.
I pinned and then sewed the three layers together.
Here is the final product.  I love how it came out.
I added the pillow as a final touch.
Remember this pillow?  I made it out of two dinner napkins.  All I did to make it fit the new chair was open up the pillow, remove the insert, add a smaller insert and sew a smaller seam.  The width of the pillow stayed the same.
So what do you think of my first attempt at re-upholstery?  It's the perfect addition to my guest room.   I have to be honest...it was so much work.  It took way longer than I ever anticipated, but I love the result.  Can't wait to hear what you think.

-Judy

62 comments:

Debbiedoos said...

WOW Judy it looks awesome. Really nice job you did. So happy you love the paint. That is my favorite color.

Anonymous said...

Looks great, Judy!! I love that blue!! :)

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

OMG, Judy, it's fabulous! I love it! You really transformed it from a drab looking chair to something so French looking. The color was a great choice. I had wanted to do my headboard this weekend, but I need the clear wax. I hadn't realized that you need to use this with the paint. Plus, it was super humid here this weekend ~ not a garage weekend at all! I think I may just order the wax from Robyn as the stockist I got my paint from is out of stock.

Unknown said...

What a fantastic job you have done! The chair looks fab. Such patience! Sue x

Gina said...

Wow, that's an amaazing transformation! I love how it turned out.

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

OMG Judy! LOVE LOVE LOVE it!! Isn't chalk paint the best to work with, your transformation is fabulous! Martina

Ruffles n Raspberries said...

Love your "new" chair! Lots of work, but, it sure paid off! Very nice indeed!!
Sherri

Mel said...

Job well done!

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Your chair is absolutely gorgeous! Well done!

{northern cottage} said...

Judy! this turned out better than fabulous! I love love {love} the color and thank you so much for the description of how you recovered! turned out gorgeous! I have a similar chair waiting for me to give it a little lovin!

www.northerncottage.blogspot.com

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

what a beautiful chair! love the wood, and the chalk paint really shows it off. Great job!!

Janet Metzger, Artist said...

Spectacular!!!!!!


Don't you just love restyling these old chairs...it is so worth the effort.

Janet xox
http://theemptynest-janet.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

This turned out great! Thanks for posting close up photos & giving a step by step of the process. Maybe someday I'll be brave enough to try it!

Wendy (Designed To Dwell)

Spirit said...

It looks great and to be honest my gram did that kind oh thing all the time and looks like how she would do it too. I think you did great and you inspired me.

MyBluePeacock said...

Judy, I never would have known this was your first time if you had not said so!!! The chair is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Magnolia House said...

This is an amazing transformation and I love your tutorial! Great Job!

Mallory said...

Wow!! Turned out wonderful! Great job Judy!!

Little City Farm said...

I can't believe this is the same chair. The colour is great, love the trim (using the scissors is smart) and that paint!!

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Wow! Wow! A-maz-ing! I love it! And thanks for your very detailed tutorial with great photos. Now...could I do this? Hmmm... Happy week!...hugs...Debbie

AsylumTanya said...

I love it! I have a chair that is disintegrating before my eyes, and I have been dragging my feet about getting it covered. You have given me hope. I CAN do this!

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Fabulously Frenchy!

Ange said...

Love it! I am hoping to find something to paint with chalk paint everyone is raving about! :) Way to totally transform the grandma chair! I also loved the tutorial on how you did it all. Great job!

Kathy@DandelionsandDustBunnies said...

Looks fabulous. I love the color you picked too. I'm sure your fingers are glad you're done with this project. Definitely paid off.

Poppy @ With a Dash of Color said...

What an amazing job you did Judy, the chair looks absolutely gorgeousss!!! Loved it! And the pillow goes perfectly with the chair... I love the way you changed it from square shape to rectangular... impressive. You are very talented and a great inspiration to all of us. Thanks for sharing this amazing tutorial. Have a great week!~Poppy

http://withadashofcolor.blogspot.com/

Jenn Erickson said...

Oh my word! It's absolutely gorgeous! You used the chalk paint and waxes brilliantly, and using the electric bread knife for the foam was so clever. I'm completely inspired by your upholstery techniques as well, and feel confident that should I ever come across chair with good bones like yours, I'll be able to try my hand at giving it a new life & look!

Jenn/Rook No. 17

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

I love it! everything about it. The color, the DROP CLOTH! LOVE drop cloths! :)
super job!
(got here by following Jenn's tweet)
gail

Karen The Graphics Fairy said...

Stunning!!! You did a fabulous job!! Love that pillow too! ;)

At The Picket Fence said...

Oh my goodness Judy!! That is just beyond gorgeous! I could totally see that selling for big bucks in a little french boutique somewhere. You did an absolutely fabulous job! :-)
Vanessa

Unknown said...

OMG!!! I LOVE this redo!!! I 'fell' into a can of paint two days ago and almost missed seeing this reveal. I am so glad I took the time to scroll back!! Judy....it really is just absolutely lovely. A BIG Wow!

Jamie said...

This chair looks fantastic!! Shanna is about to do this very project after she moves into her new house in two short weeks!!

Debbie--http://refreshrestyle.com/ said...

Your chair looks great, love the color!

Shanna said...

Gasp! I just bought your chair's twin sister on Craiglist last weekend. So very similar though mine sports emerald green with black floral pleather upholstery. Sweet. I'm planning to follow your tutorial to a tee in a few months when I get around to redoing my chair! Love how your chair turned out!

DeeAnna said...

I just bypassed a very similar chair at Goodwill. It is cream colored leather....I passed it up, but now that I see you took it completely down to the bare bones...I think I could give it a try! Great photos!! I hope it is still there!

Betty said...

You did a very good job and you have a lot more patience than me!

. said...

I can't believe this was your first upholstery job! You did an amazing job! It is stunning!! :)

Pamela said...

Your chair is gorgeous!

lissa said...

amazing result! I thought the final would be more blue but the green works well.

have a great day!

lifespassion said...

What a great makeover! I have done that kind of chair yet - upholstery scares me but you did a wonderful job!

Unknown said...

I think it is great looking . The tutorial is wonderful . Makes me think I could try this on an old chair of my Grams that I have and it is in bad shape...but I will never get rid of it.
KAT

Candace @ Candace Creations said...

wow that turned out amazing and I'm so glad I saw this because I have been wanting to a chair makeover but timid on the whole upholstery part! I hope you'll share this at the scrappy saturdays link up tomorrow! @ http://candacecreations.blogspot.com]

Excited to find your blog!

Candace @ Candace Creations said...

ps- bookmarked this post for future reference!

Crystal said...

Judy, it looks AMAZING! I am SO inspired! Now I want to redo one of my chairs with dropcloth! :) Thanks for linking up! I will be featuring this tonight.
Crysta
Homemaker in Heels

Judie said...

OMG! I LOVE THAT STAPLE GUN! I just have to get one. You did such an excellent job on the chair. Brava!!

Jenny said...

Can't believe you got the chair for $20!! I have been looking for one like it on my local CL for months! You did the chair proud. Beautiful!

Catherine said...

Very nice :)

mrs. c said...

I think you did a great job, and the chair looks fantastic! My first job was 2 chairs that my grandfather gave me that used to be in the waiting room at a train station. I wished I had all your tips when I began!

Carolyn said...

It looks beautiful-you did a fantastic job!!!

Carolyn

KDL said...

Pretty amazing. I don't think I'd ever be gutsy enough to try this, but I am impressed. Bravo!

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

Wow Wow Wow! What a great step-by-step. Love the final look!

Anonymous said...

I love how this chair turned out. Totally gorgeous!!

Miss Mustard Seed

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Gorgeous Judy~ I love how it turned out. Your chair is fabulous!! Thanks for sharing at FNF :)

Pondside said...

I love it. I wish I was able to see the possibilities in these pieces. You have an eye for what will work - beautiful.

Be Colorful Coastal said...

A real beauty that will be appreciated for years. I was unfamiliar with chalk paint so I found that really interesting. Love the color you chose and the fabric and trims too. Thanks for linking up to Motivated Monday at BeColorful. I hope you will visit again soon.
Pam

Christina said...

I featured this on my blog today...you did a great job!

http://christinasadventures2010.blogspot.com/2011/06/sunday-features-23.html

Unknown said...

Amazing! From start to finish it is unbelievable that this is even the same chair! It looks incredible! Thanks so much for sharing with the Pink Hippo Party! Can't wait to see what you share this week!

Lisa H. said...

I think you need your own show on the DIY Network. Great job!

Jenny said...

You are seriously talented!

This is an amazing and professional makeover.

What a grand chair!

Thanks for linking up to Alphabe-Thursday's letter "G" and making us all drool.

A+

Mimi said...

This is gorgeous! I love how it turned out. Getting ready to redo my first upholstered chair and bookmarking your post. This will help me so much! Thanks for sharing! I found this through your cabinet post at Remodelholic Friday

Tammy @ Type A said...

wow, love it. what brand staple gun do you use? i'm looking for one. thanks. and how many coats of paint did you use? thanks.

Robyn Story said...

Judy, Your chair looks TERRIFIC!! Good job, love that you took us through your process. The paint is awesome isn't it!! So empowering to be able to drastically change the personality of any piece - just like you did with this chair. I'm anxious to see your next piece. And THANKS for the nice comment about our store!!

Los Angeles SEO said...

Great way to cover the edges!

Smart Packaging said...

fries box

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...