Pages

Friday, May 27, 2011

Chalk Paint

I took a leap into the world of chalk paint.  After seeing so many wonderful projects in blogland, I was excited to receive my shipment.  I ordered from a retailer in Florida on Friday and my products arrived on Wednesday.  That's a pretty fast turn around.
I ordered a starter kit which consisted of a quart of old white, duck egg blue, a clear wax, a dark wax and a wax brush.
It also came with Annie Sloan's book.  After leafing through the book I was ready to start my first transformation.
Remember my Craigslist find?
After removing all of the upholstery, I was ready to paint.  My plan was to paint the chair the duck egg blue and accent it with the old white.
I was very happy when I opened the can of duck egg blue that it looked exactly as I had pictured it.  Whew!
The Old White is also beautiful...it's a creamy white.  It kind of reminds me of a nicer version of Heirloom White spray paint.
Well let me tell you...this paint is unlike any other paint I have ever used.  I totally get why it's called chalk paint.  That's really what it looks like.
All in all, so far I am very impressed with the paint.  It's very easy to work with.  The paint goes on smoothly and easily and covers completely in one coat.

The paint also comes off extremely easily.  How do I know this, you ask?  I was painting the accents in the old white when I got some on a part that I didn't mean to.  I had a wet rag and went to wipe it off.  It not only took off the old white but it also took off the duck egg blue, which had been applied a day earlier.  Whoa!  That's when I went back and read the book a little more carefully rather than just flipping through the pages.
As it turns out, it's the wax that really sets the paint.  Apparently after the wax is applied and has had time to cure, the paint will be permanent.  

So my plan for the holiday weekend is to finish this chair.  Next step is to apply the wax.  I would have loved to get that done yesterday, but the wax needs more than the ten minutes I could devote.  For one, you need mineral spirits to clean the brush after use so it will have to wait for Saturday.  I can't wait to reupholster.  I'll be sharing the transformation next week.

This weekend also officially marks the beginning of our summer entertaining.  The pool is open and ready to go.  What do you have planned for Memorial Day weekend?

-Judy

21 comments:

Unknown said...

I have had similiar experiences with the chalk paint. It gives a super beautiful velvety surface, but wow can it be flaky! I put the old white on a four poster bed. After the second coat, I sanded down to distress in areas and the dust was UNBELIEVBLE! Don't make the mistake that I did.....wear a mask when sanding!! Can't wait to see the chair reveal.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Good to know, Judy! I got my chalk paint this week but the clear wax was out of stock from the New Jersey stockist I ordered from. I'm wondering if I should wait then to paint my headboard.

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Great tips and your chair is coming along beautifully! I ordered a similar combination package from a stocklist in California. That was two months ago, yes, two months! Because the wax was on back order they would not send the paint. Supposedly it was shipped this week, but I have not received it yet. Hopefully it will be worth the wait!

Emily@LovelyBeasts said...

I think painting the details in white really paid off. It's already looking great. Can't wait to see the finale! And thanks for all the chalk paint tips. Still holding out on buying it, but I love reading your point of view on it!

Emily

Yvette @ AquaSeventy6 said...

Here's a tip: Fill up a plastic cup about an inch with vegetable oil and let the wax brush sit in it for about 15 mins or so, then wash with hot soapy water. Voila...no mineral spirits needed!

Check out my chalk paint project on www.aquaseventy6.blogspot.com

Yvette
Yvette{unedited}
AquaSeventy6

MyBluePeacock said...

Can't wait to see the finished chair! So how did you get the old white in just the areas you wanted them, without wiping off?

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

The chair frame looks beautiful in these new colors! Looking forward to seeing it upholstered! Enjoy your long weekend! Janell

laxsupermom said...

The chair is looking gorgeous! Duck Egg Blue is one of my favorite colors. Love how you painted the detailed scoops out with the heirloom white! Can't wait to see it finished.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

I can't wait to see your chair. It is going to be gorgeous I am sure. Hugs, Marty

Amy said...

Looks great so far. I can't wait to see how it turns out with the fabric!

Emily @ ReMarkable Home said...

Can't wait to see how it turns out. I am curious about chalk paint. WHY do people want to use it rather than latex? What are the benefits? I would love to know! Thanks!
Emily
remarkablehome@gmail.com

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

Looking good already.

Dee

Pondside said...

I love the colour - looking forward to seeing the competed chair.

Robyn Story said...

So glad your paint got there so quickly! This is Robyn Story the stockist from Florida! We have oodles of paint and waxes. I am into instant gratification myself so i always try to stock stock stock!!!Your project is going to fabulous and yes you will be so hooked on the paint! WE LOVE IT..if you need anything let us know we are here to help.SEND US YOU PICS AND WE WILL POST ON OUR BLOG TOO! CHECK OUT OUR BLOG www.robynstorydesigns.blogspot.com

Splendid Little Stars said...

Your chair looks so great! I bet it will be wonderful when it's finished!

A couple cousins came for a 2 day visit. Tomorrow, my hubby and I will go on a bike ride, then try to finish up mulching the garden.

Blue Creek Home said...

Coming over from Robyn Story Designs to see your chalk paint creation and I love it!
I had the opportunity to meet Robyn and Lori and see her beautiful store a couple of weeks ago.
I love chalk paint and I love the waxes. Lori @ the RSD said that clear waxing before sanding will cut down on the dust. I was glad to find that little tidbit out.
Rhonda

Howsewears said...

I just got some ASCP last weekend in VA while at Luckett's. As soon as I got home, I started painting anything that didn't move. Here's my scoop:
1. Yes, it's expensive, but I've painted about 5 small projects so far and haven't made a dent in the amount.
2. It will paint on just about anything without priming. I even bought a Pfaltsgraff old candle holder and painted that.
3. If something is going to get lots of use or wear and tear, I'd wax it well. The wax gives a *lovely* depth to it, and you can vary the looks depending on the wax used.
4. It goes on very well and has great coverage.
5. It cleans so much better than latex. My brushes love me for it.
If you want to see a sample of my subway art using the Louis Blue, check out my blog. It's the blue one (not the black and white). I'm planning on paining all my bedroom furniture with it.
Fondly, Tami
www.thisandthatfromtami.blogspot.com

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

yep, I love chalk paint and just wish someone carried it here. So hard to pay for the paint and almost $13 for shipping. Makes it $50 a can. I do love it though. And yes you have to wax it.

Howsewears said...

Hey, I read somewhere that you can use oil to clean your wax brush, then wash with Dawn and water. I may try that. I can't wait to see your project! Tami
www.thisandthatfromtami.blogspot.com

Jenny said...

What a fabulous transformation. I can't wait to see it completed.

And that dreamy blue color is just fabulous.

Thanks for another fantastic link to Alphabe-Thursday's letter "F".

You are amazing.

A+

Los Angeles SEO said...

Why use chalk paint verses any other chalk?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...