Pages

Friday, December 7, 2012

Creating a Focal Wall

As you know little by little I have been trying to add color to my very beige basement family room.
The other day I made another step in the direction of adding color!
This one was a big step.
I've taken my inspiration for color from the fabric I made the curtains with.
Here's a close-up of the fabric.
So when I found this temporary wallpaper at Home Goods, I knew I had found an awesome solution for a focal wall.  (You can click here to see the temporary wallpaper I added to my kitchen).  Tempaper retails for approximately $85/roll online, so when I saw it at Home Goods for only $19.99 a roll, I just had to grab it. 
Here is a look at the room before:

So while the kids were at school I got to work.
There were two obstacles to this project:
(1) I did not want to take apart and move the media unit.
(2) I needed to remove the vinyl wall phrase, however I wanted to try to re-use it.

I was able to accomplish both.
It wasn't easy but I was able to wallpaper without moving any of the furniture.  I slid the television from side to side and wallpapered far enough behind the furniture that no one will ever be the wiser.  My arm was all scraped up the next day from getting the wallpaper behind the furniture and my manicure was ruined from taking off the vinyl, but it was all worth it.
I have no idea why, but I couldn't get a clear photo.  Every photo was blurry that day.

In a couple of hours my focal wall was complete.  I was even able to remove the vinyl letters.  I had to use a hairdryer to loosen it a bit, and it came off one letter at a time, but ultimately I got it off and was able to move it to surround our family photo.

After standing back and admiring my work,  I noticed that it looked a little funny that I did not wallpaper the bump-out on the left hand side. 

 So the next day, I went back and finished the job.
This photo is with a different camera - still a blurry mess.
Yep, I pretty much gave up on getting a clear photo.

Here's a closer view of the wallpaper.
It's the perfect blue.  
I chose these lamps because they picked up on the copper in the wallpaper so well, 
plus I really liked them.

The lamp bases and shades are from Target and are a story in themselves.  
I'll tell you about it next week.

I can't wait to hear what you think about how my room is coming along.

Hope you have a great weekend.  
We are putting our Christmas tree up on Saturday...finally.  We usually put it up the day after Thanksgiving.  Yikes!

-Judy
Pin It

17 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh my goodness, this looks amazing. I love the paper and it definitely adds tons of character to your room. Beautiful. Hugs, Marty

Cheryl said...

It looks great! I love the bold pattern. Where in Home Goods are you finding the Tempaper? I've been on a mission to find it ever since you first posted about it, but I always come up empty handed.

Cecilia said...

Fantastic! I've never heard of Tempaper! What a great idea. You found the perfect pattern and color for your room. I love the bold pattern.

LJ said...

Tempaper? I LOVE that idea! That blows my mind to have temporary wallpaper options! And it makes such a difference in your room, really updates it and gives it punch. I also love the lamp bases. I was going to ask where you got them but see you provided that at the end. I should head to Target AND Home Good now! :)

Anonymous said...

I love it! Looks gorgeous! Could you tell me if your wall is textured or flat?

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

It looks beautiful, Judy! I love it! What a difference it makes, too. Love the design. I'm guessing you would recommend this temporary wallpaper. It might be something for me to look into then for a few areas around here.

Carol-Anne said...

I love the way it lightens & brightens up the room and the lamps are fab!

Design_Fluff said...

It's coming along so nicely! What fab wallpaper! So jealous that you found it! I may need to make a trip and see if I can score some! Lamps are to die for.

Maria Elena said...

Judy, it is gorgeous!!! What a huge difference it made! So beautiful!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I have not heard of this paper. Cool idea. What a huge difference the paper made.

allisamazing said...

What a great idea and it looks amazing!

At The Picket Fence said...

Judy that is incredible!! The paper is amazing and it completely changed the look and feel of the room. Well done friend! :-)
Vanessa

Suzy said...

Judy - this makes a huge difference and I love it! No way does this room look like a basement.

Cheryl said...

Thank you so much for letting me know where to find the wallpaper, and thank you for taking the time to visit my blog!

STARDUST said...

A wallpaper can create such an impact and in this case it's stunning!

Unknown said...

Creating focal wall is shown here. Know all about it

Wallpapers

Unknown said...

OMG I thought the idea of having a paper wall will be a mess but it turn out AMAZING!


Thanks,
Nancy
Window Planet - Windows and Doors Toronto

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...