Pages

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

How to Sew a Box Cushion Cover

Yesterday I shared with you my wicker chair makeover.  
The makeover wouldn't be complete without a new box cushion cover for the seat.  
Years ago when I first bought the chair, I had a cushion cover made for it with fabric that coordinated with our bedroom at the time (it was twenty years ago).  
I decided to make my own cushion cover without piping.  
I used the same foam since it was in perfect shape and fabric I had left over from another project.
Using the old cushion cover as a pattern, I traced around the fabric and cut out two (one for the front and one for the back).  I could have also just traced around my foam if I didn't have an old cover.
Using a new rotary cutting tool I bought a while back,  I cut out my fabric.  I've never used one before - it make for very easy and perfect cuts.  I also cut out a 4" wide strip of fabric for the sides the length of the perimeter of my foam.
I then pinned the strip of fabric (the side fabric) right side to right side all along the front panel of my seat cushion fabric.
Then I sewed it all around.  
Then I pinned the other panel of the fabric to the side fabric all around, right side to right side, leaving the back open enough for me to be able to turn the cover right side out and stuff in the foam.
I could have sewn in a zipper, but knowing me, the odds are that I will get sick of the fabric long before I have to take the fabric off to wash it.  So instead I just hand-sewed the final edges together.  It is on the bottom of the cushion anyhow and not visible at all. 
In less than an hour the box cushion cover was complete.
It's that easy.  If you can sew a straight line, you can make one of these.
I hope you will give it a try - let me know if you do.

Don't forget to stop back tonight for my Fall into Fall party.

The link opens at 8pm EST.  
Hope to see you then.


-Judy
Pin It


Sharing with Savvy Southern Style

5 comments:

FabTwigs said...

Wow... Love, love your "new" chair! Fantastic!

Laurie @ House of 34 said...

Love the transformation! Great tutorial!

Bonnie@Creative Decorating said...

Stopping by from the WOW party. I love your beautiful chair! You really did a great job recovering the seat cushion. I have wanted to try doing that but just haven't gotten up the nerve!! You make it look easy!

Rasmussen Family said...

thanks for hosting!

Shannon Fox said...

Your chair makeover came out great! So brave making a new seat. I am a chicken to recover anything ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...