Pages

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Decoupaged Container

Each and everyday there is a hunt in my home...a hunt for hair clips.  My daughter always seems to be looking for them and they always seem to be all over the house.  So, I decided to try to remedy this situation by providing her with a cute container to house her hair accessories that she could keep in her bathroom.
Her bathroom is pink and brown so that's the color scheme I would make the container.
I found this container in the closet.  I had previously used it when my master bathroom was in purple.  I had removed the fabric knowing I would someday use it again.
I went to my stash of scrapbook paper and chose a pink with brown polka dots pattern.  I wanted a small pattern knowing that the paper would not reach completely around the container and I would need to patch a section.  Much easier if there is no pattern to match.
Using Mod Podge I adhered the paper to the container.  This is always the point in any decoupage project when I think I have messed up.  There always seems to be bubbles that thankfully (yet mysteriously) disappear once it has dried.
Once I finished covering the sides and bottom of the container, it was time to work on the lid.  I used a coordinating paper and cut off the bottom decorative edge to work to trim the sides of the lid. Again, one width of the paper wouldn't be enough, so I cut out another section with the children playing to trim the section that wasn't covered.
Using self-stick letters, I added the words Hair Clips to the top of the lid.
I added a pink with brown polka dots ribbon tied around the center of the container.  It matches perfectly with my daughter's bathroom decor.
How cute is that?  I had all the supplies in the house already so the cost was zero for today.  I love that part the most.
While I was in my daughter's bathroom adding her new hair clip container, I opened up her cabinet and was frightened by the mess under there.
I just had to organize it while I was there (I know...it's like a sickness...I can't help myself).  I had some extra containers, and now everything is where she can see it and hopefully help her keep it neat.
Don't forget my Swing into Spring party is open until Friday at midnight.  You can click here to join in the fun.

Let me know what you think.  I always love and appreciate your comments.

-Judy

30 comments:

Scarlett said...

Great make - looks brill. Scarlett x

Mallory said...

Hey Judy! I love the little bows container you made. Where did you get the little purple baskets? I need something flat like that to fit under our kitchen sink. Thanks!

Sarah said...

adorable project! looks perfect in her bathroom!!

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Very cute Judy I bet she loved it! I here ya about that sickness because I have it too (LOL)!!! Martina

Debbiedoos said...

Does not get any cuter than that Judy! Nice job.

At The Picket Fence said...

That is so cute Judy! And can I just tell you how much I LOVE her bathroom! So darling with the pink and brown and I was seriously studying all of the details. She must love having her very own girly space to get ready in the mornings. And now she can find her bows! :-)
Vanessa

Crystal said...

What an adorable project!!! I love it...and what's better it was free!!!!

Sybilline said...

Pretty bathroom! Wonderful decoupage project.
Tips from a decoupage lady!!:To avoid too much bubbles, use a brayer to push the bubbles out!... Also as the paper is not waterproof you can apply a varnish to protect it a little bit more.

Emily said...

SO cute! I love the container and the entire bathroom...darling!!!
-emily
www.nestnestingnested.blogspot.com

morgany*mom said...

That bathroom is absolutely gorgeous! What a lucky daughter you have! The container is adorable!

Karen said...

That is a beautiful bathroom and the container is a brilliant idea. Everything looks really pretty.

Nan ~ Playful Decor said...

Hi Judy, Great job on the bathroom and I love the container you made! You know I must have this bathroom and her bedroom in my gallery! Email me if you want it included! Nan

PlayfulDecor (at) gmail (dot) com.

laxsupermom said...

Adorable container! I love how well it coordinates with her bath decor, and I love pink & brown as a color combination. If I dared to open up the cabs under the sinks in my boys' bathroom, I don't think I'd be brave enough to take the pic. But I'm putting clean out the boys' vanities on the list for this weekend. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Great idea Judy! I wish my girl's had a bathroom too their own like that!

Gina said...

That box is adorable & matches her bathroom so nicely!

Anonymous said...

Greetings from Southern California

I am your newest follower. I invite you to visit my blog and follow me if you want too.

God Bless You :-)

~Ron

Heather said...

What a cute container! I've always loved polka dots!

I giggled because compared to my daughters, your daughter is quite neat under her sink. I would be very afraid to look under ours...:)

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

Oh SO much better! I love this. (At my house, I'm just happy if all my stinky boys use soap and hang their towels up...)
:)

Christina said...

aww this looks perfect for your little girl!! I love it!

Thanks so much for linking to "20 Below Thursday"!! :)

Lakeshore Cottage Living said...

That is so pretty. I am going to have to get crafty and make one for my girls! Thank you for the very sweet comment on my blog. I am now a follower of yours AND I linked up in my sidebar. I apologize for not getting a link up originally in my post, but I added it as well. I hope you have a lovely weekend and look forward to getting lots of ideas from you!

Allison {A Glimpse Inside} said...

Love the box! So cute! I actually have the same paper.
And I LOVE her bathroom in general. Adorable! Thanks for linking up!

Shelby Osmond said...

Love this idea and I love the color. So cute. Thanks for coming to my blog and being a follower. I now follow your blog!

Shelby
brandonandshelby.blogspot.com

At The Picket Fence said...

Hi Judy! Just coming back over to say thank you so much for linking this up to Inspiration Friday this week! :-)
Vanessa

bikim said...

great idea!!!!!!!!!!!!
loved the box!
so pretty!
happy weekend!
Rosa

Desire Empire said...

HI Judy
I thought I had made a comment already but it appears not to show up.
So firstly thanks for featuring me re, last week's link up. You have been so kind.

Also I love your hairclip bin. I have a two y.o and we are already in hairclip mania over here, so I'm going to follow your idea.

Best wishes
Carolyn

Unknown said...

Cute clip container! We always put my daughters bows in a special place too otherwise they end up everywhere!

Ashley

Colleen said...

This is such an adorable space! love the pink and chocolate.

Unknown said...

This is so cute! I love how you added the little kids around the brim of the lid. It adds the perfect touch of whimsy!

Thanks for joining my blog as well.

Anonymous said...

Love this! Thanks for stopping by my blog and following me! I'm now a new follower too. So many cute projects for me to do now!

Los Angeles SEO said...

I wish that my cabinet was that clean.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...