Pages

Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Quest for the Perfect Chair

You know, I am often on a quest for one thing or another.  This time it was my parents who were on a quest ... a quest for the perfect chair.

Chair from Ethan Allen
They needed a petite, upholstered chair.  Not so easy to find.  They loved the Giselle Chair from Ethan Allen.  The chair starts at $1029....however, by the time they were done picking fabric and tax and delivery the final price would be $1650.  So as gorgeous as the chair was, it didn't seem reasonable to spend that much money on one chair.  
Yesterday I stopped by Home Goods.  I did a walk through and didn't find any chairs that would work for my parents (and I also didn't find anything for myself - :( ).  I started to drive away when I saw my parents pull into the Home Goods parking lot.  I turned around and honked my horn at them.  No reaction (hello, you would think there would be some reaction).  My dad dropped my mom off at the door (it was snowing here yesterday) and I finally got her attention.  I told her I didn't see anything inside.  I decided to follow my father to his spot to say hello.  While I talked to my dad my mom called his cell to say she found the perfect chair.  What???  This I had to see.  I parked and went inside to see what she could have possibly seen...I was just in there.  Sure enough, there was the perfect size, shape and color chair...next to three chairs I did see (how did I miss this one?).  That combined with the fact that my mom thought it must be fate that I was there since I have a mini-van that could fit the chair...they bought it...for $300.  Not that $300 is cheap, but it is 1/5 of the cost of what the other chair would have been.  
Like I said, the chair is the right dimensions, is well made, is comfortable and coordinates perfectly with their decor.  What more could they ask for?   I took photos using my father's camera - so I had a little trouble getting the lighting perfect and using a camera I was not familiar with.  
The chair fabric is a small houndstooth pattern in a grey/blue and white.  This work very well with the toile they have on the duvet, bench and window treatments in their bedroom.

I will be making them a small pillow for the back of the chair in the next few days.  They were going to pick out the fabric after I left them.  Probably something in a navy color.  I will be sure to post about it.

You can see that it coordinates perfectly with their decor.  Their room is done in blue and white with some navy accents.  I love their room (although, as my parents are aware,  I am not a huge fan of the white formica furniture - however, it does seem to disappear into the background because everything else is beautiful).  
I think I may love the chair as much or more than my parents do.  
Instead of a headboard, they have three navy euro pillows and two pictures.  
My father made the cornice boards by making boxes out of wood and then applied textured wallpaper and painted it the same color as the wall.  
Apparently, yesterday morning my mom had told my father that this was the day she was going to find the chair.  Weird how that worked out.  

Don't forget my Swing into Spring party is still going on.  You can click here to join in the fun.  Hope to see you there.
-Judy

9 comments:

Maggie Massey said...

Isn't that amazing how sometimes things happen completely because they are "supposed" to? I love that! And that chair is awesome!!!! Can't wait to see the pillow you make for it!

Gail said...

What a beautiful bedroom your parents have! I love the blue and the chair was an awesome find. Thanks for the visit as I am now one of your newest followers.

Have a wonderful day,
Gail

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

A fabulous alternative I'd say! The room looks beautiful and inviting! Janell

Jennie said...

How very lucky your parents are. Their new chair and their home are beautiful, but they are mostly lucky to have you to help them.

Hope you are surviving the spring snow. Much love.
Jennie

laxsupermom said...

Love that houndstooth fabric! It really is perfect for their room. I love that you can just run into your parents when bopping around town. Thanks for sharing.

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Love the chair Judy~ It is a charmer! Maybe you didn't see it because it's lines are a bit different from the traditional chair they were looking for. Either way, it looks perfect in their room.

At The Picket Fence said...

Seriously? That could not be more perfect! The fabric is traditional but the lines of the chair make it just a bit more modern. You all make a good team! :-)
Vanessa

Crystal @ Ordinary Days said...

Love the chair! I like shopping with someone else because four (or more) eyes are ALWAYS better than two. :)

Bonnie said...

Hi Judy, thanks for the follow and your comment on my blog! I'm glad you liked the toy camera :-) I'm now a new follower and enjoying browsing around your cute blog! Hope to hear more from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...