Pages

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

From Christmas Tree Stand to Upholstered Ottoman

This is a little table my father built as a Christmas Tree stand years before I was born.

When my husband and I first got married, we too used it as a Christmas Tree stand, for our very sad, Charlie Brown-like Christmas Tree.  Since then, it's been sitting in my basement storage room collecting dust.  I have been wanting to make an ottoman for a while, and this little stand was screaming to be made into an ottoman.   So what was I waiting for...let's make an ottoman.

In the garage I had an old egg crate foam mattress cover.  I traced the shape of the stand onto the foam.

Using an electric bread cutter, I cut out two circles out of the foam.  So easy to cut foam this way...it cut like butter.

Interlocking the foam I laid it on top of the stand.


Next, I wrapped batting over the blue foam and around the stand and stapled it to the bottom of the stand.
The batting helped make the cushion more uniform around the edges.  Because the foam was two pieces interlocking, the edges dipped in.  This made it more like a solid piece of foam.
Using left-over fabric (I only had two yards left), I traced a circle on the wrong side of the fabric the circumference of the ottoman.
I then cut cording the length of the circumference of the circle.  Using the zipper foot attachment on my sewing machine, I created welting out of the same fabric.
I then cut the sides and attached the two ends to make one continuous circle.  I pinned the cording between the circle and the sides - right sides together.  I then sewed all three layers together.
I slipped it over the top of the ottoman.  Keep in mind, I only had two yards left of the fabric, so I couldn't make the welting by cutting the fabric on the bias.  I think that's why it's not laying as flat as I would like it.  Also, a smaller cording might have been easier to hide any flaws in the way it laid.  All in all, I was happy that it fit so well...so it was time to work on the skirt.

I cut strips of fabric a little longer than the length I needed.  I hemmed one edge.  The other edge I folded over and using nail head trim, tacked the skirt, pleating it as I went along.  I didn't measure my pleats, I just made it look good to the eye.

Here is the finished ottoman.  I think it came out super cute.
Here is a close up of the pleated skirt.  That turned out to be the easiest part.
Now it sits in front of the soaking tub in my master bathroom.  I've always wanted an ottoman in my bathroom and now I have one.  The best part is I had everything on hand already...so it didn't cost me anything.

Let me know what you think of my ottoman.  I always love and appreciate your comments.
Don't forget to stop back tonight at 8pm EST when my Swing into Spring party opens up.  Hope to see you then.

-Judy
passionately artistic

























Running with Glitter
This project has been featured at:


All Things Heart and Home

62 comments:

Dianne said...

So cute! I love the fabric...

Brandi said...

Love it Judy! It really turned out great!

Unknown said...

Judy WOW what a great job the fabric is lovely and it's always nice to know that you will have something your Dad made...

~~Pattie~~
The Shabby Chick

The Vintage Farmhouse said...

I love it! It turned out fantastic!

Jodie said...

Your ottoman turned out fantastic! Love the fabric!

Warm Wishes,
Jodie

Sharon said...

You did a fantastic job and using only what you had on hand! Beautiful! You did a great job on the tutorial! You showed every step along the way and made it look so easy...so everyone feels they could make one too! Love it!!

Kathy@ Gone North said...

Very Cute!! Nice job!!!

MyBluePeacock said...

This tutorial is awesome...and so is your new ottoman, I want one! So glad to have found your blog...

laxsupermom said...

Wow! It looks terrific! I love that you just eyeballed the pleating. It turned out great! It's awesome that it was with all stuff you had on hand, too! Thanks for sharing.

Melanie Bacom said...

That ottoman is great! I love making things out of stuff I already have. FREE is best!

Kathy said...

this is so cute and I really want to do this and put it the same place you did and my bath is blue as well!

Terriea Kwong said...

You're mighty and made use of everything in hand also a good memory of what it used to be.

At The Picket Fence said...

Oh my goodness Judy! I love it! So clever and that fabric is just gorgeous. You always amaze me and that looks so perfect there in your bathroom! :-)
Vanessa

Gillian @ Letters to Liney said...

Love this project! The skirt is probably my favorite part - so perfect and simple. I will have to remember that technique...and using an electric knife to cut foam. Great fabric choice!

The Olde Farmhouse on Windmill Hill said...

VERY cute, Judy! The fabric is gorgeous. You did a great job. And I love that it didn't cost you anything. :)

Thanks for stopping by my blog and inviting my to your party - I'll be there! ~Rachel

Sybilline said...

Wow! Impressive!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

It looks fabulous. Love the fabric and the little ruffle. Great job. Hugs, Marty

Jessica said...

beautiful fabric! i love the skirt! it is giving me a really good idea for a chair i am wanting to cover!!! thanks!

kara@elements-interiors.net said...

So creative! Love this post...thank you for linking up to Whassup Wednesday! Hope to see you tomorrow:)

xoxokara

Mariaelena said...

LOVE it....it is beautiful!!...great job...I'll be back to link up later....
xo Mariaelena

foreverdecorating said...

Very nice from very creative beginnings.

Unknown said...

That's fabulous!! I'm so jealous of all of you and your awesome sewing skills! Great job!

Allison@FabRehab said...

Oh Em Gee...that's the best thing I've seen today...and I've seen a lot! Beautiful!

Susan said...

Very pretty! I love the fabric you chose!

Modern Country Lady said...

Super inventive !!!What a transformation !!!I love what you did !!!

White Ironstone Cottage said...

Oh My
what a transformation Simply fabulous
Love how it looks in the room and the step by step was fun
great job and wonderful post
xo
Pam

Heather said...

Wow, your ottoman is just sitting there looking oh so very cute! I love how you just "eyeballed" the pleats.

Lauren @ Love, Water and Wine said...

Wow! I love it! You did an amazing job and I love the fabric. Thanks for sharing!

Maggie Massey said...

This is absolutely gorgeous!!! Love love love the fabric, too...I'm your newest follower!

morgany*mom said...

Amazing! It looks great and you made it look so easy to do. Love it!

Sbb1 Wellness said...

Oh it looks so lovely in your bathroom...excellent job!

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

Judy!!!! I love that you used something that was already a family heirloom of sorts and made it into something that will become another family heirloom. Amazing. Really beautiful.

Designed by Chance said...

That is so cute! I love it. I have seen these all over bog land as well and now I want one too.

Stephanie said...

Wow on the getting creative on using what you had! And WOw how it turned it! Designer look for sure, it is so pretty. Great job.

Traci said...

What a great idea! I LOVE it!

Jenn said...

That is AMAZING! I love that it started as a Christmas tree stand :). I really want to try making a *slip cover* but it seems sort of scary for some reason!

Allison {A Glimpse Inside} said...

Looks fabulous! Love the skirt you put on it! Thanks for linking up!

Christine said...

Perfect for a some manly man to feed you grapes while you relax in the tub. I am envying the space you have in this room, very inviting.

Susan Anderson said...

Very nice!

=)

Jackie said...

That is an incredibly beautiful ottoman!

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Judy your ottoman looks fabulous!! Love the fabric you chose. Martina

Christina said...

You are so talented! This turned out beautifully...I love the fabric you used!

Thanks so much for linking to "20 Below Thursday"! :)

Stephani said...

That's great. I love how cute it turned out, especially the skirt :)

April @ just enough sparkle said...

Thanks for the sweet note over at my blog (and for following along!).

I just LOVE this ottoman!!! I have a long way to go in the sewing department so this is super impressive! Can't wait to see what else you've done/will do! :)

SkinnyMeg said...

Wow, you are so creative!! I love the pleated skirt on it! Fabulous!

Anonymous said...

beautiful blog and thoroughly i enjoyed looking around. visiting from the Creative girl blog hop.

Gold Shoe Girl said...

The fabric is fantastic and how great that you didn't have to hit the store for anything!

At The Picket Fence said...

Hi Judy! Just coming back by to say thank you for linking this up to Inspiration Friday! :-)
Vanessa

Judie said...

Very clever, AND lovely. It is so useful by the tub as well!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, that is darling. I loved seeing the construction steps, but I don't think I would ever dare try cording (lacking in any skills of that nature). Thanks for sharing this inspiring 'x' post!

Miss Mustard Seed said...

Great work! The fabric is really cute.

Dinkalulu Silicone Molds said...

Well done! Love the pics. :D

Following from the Girl Creative Linky. :D

http://dinkalulu.blogspot.com/

Tootsie said...

awesome! I am a new follower....and hope you will stop in and visit. I also do stuff like this along with gardening

kara@elements-interiors.net said...

I still am crazy abut this!

Thank you for linking this up to WHASSUP WEDNESDAY!


Hope to see you next Wednesday:)

xoxokara

Pondside said...

Very elegant!

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

This is fantastic Judy-love how it turned out- it looks fantastic in front of your tub! Thanks for sharing at FNF! :)

nest of posies said...

WOW!

can't believe this was your christmas tree stand. way to upcycle!!! your fabric is gorgeous that you used. beautifully done.

thanks for linking up to the SPRING FLING!

kellie

Crystal said...

Judy! I Love Love LOVE this! What a wonderful idea! It turned out perfect! I am in love with the fabric, too! DO you remember where you got it?
~Crysta
Homemaker in Heels

Amanda@studio1404.com said...

It is GORGEOUS!!! You're brilliant!

Keri {One Mama's Daily Drama} said...

Your ottoman looks wonderful! I love making stuff out of the junk I have lying around.

An Oasis in the Desert said...

That turned out great & I love the fabric. That was a super-creative way to do an ottoman -- especially using the egg crate foam mattress pad.
CAS

Jenny said...

Oh, you are xceptionally clever.

What a superb repurpose.

Thanks for an xcellent stop through A-T.

A+ and my apologies for my late visit this week.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...