Pages

Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Mud Room Revealed

The mudroom is done...well, for the most part.  I would still like to get a bench, a new runner, some hooks and maybe new lighting, but the hard part of the project is complete.

Here's a reminder of how it looked before:
It took quite a bit of effort to remove the stubborn wallpaper and repair the walls, but the end result was so worth it.  The board and batten treatment came out great - and the supplies for the board and batten along with the paint for the room was under $100.  I think that's a great bang for your buck. You can check out here how I did it.
I was able to re-use the mirror by painting it with one of the sample paints that didn't make the cut for the room.  I loved the color, but it was too blue/green for the whole room.  On the mirror it was perfect.
The color on the mirror is called Light French Gray by Behr.  The wall color is Silver Screen also by Behr.
The fact that the mirror was black before was perfect.  That way when I distressed it, the black showed through.
I have to say one of my favorite things in the room are the new frames I bought at Ikea.  They are deeper frames and I added all black and white photos.  I printed these photos right from my computer.  The largest square I could print was 8.25 x 8.25.  For now I added a second mat, but I may have the two largest photos enlarged to the 11.25 x 11.25 opening.
I also bought a couple of the smaller frames.
Even though this was only a small gallery, it was still a grouping of pictures/frames that needed some calculations to make it all look even.  The easiest way for me is to hang the paper inserts inside of the frame to help plan out where I want the photos.
The next key to success for me in hanging any pictures is this tool.  I bought it several years ago on QVC.  The black pieces in the middle slide to any dimension so that measure the distance of the hangers on the back of the picture frame, then use this tool which is also a level.  No more making ten holes for each picture.
I also made this piece of artwork for the room.
 I had an unfinished shadow box that I had bought probably ten years ago.  I found it in the linen closet when I recently re-organized that closet.
Again, using the Light French Gray color (I got full use out of that sample jar), I painted the shadow box on the outside.
For the inside of the box, I used ribbon I found on clearance at Michaels.  It was the perfect color.  I glued it at each corner using my hot glue gun.
I also found these keys at Michaels.  I loved all the words on the keys.  I hot glued each one on a piece of scrapbook paper.

Put it all together to get this unique piece.

I also already had some Rose Art cork boards and a white board.
Image from Pottery Barn
I love the organization boards from Pottery Barn.  I decided to paint the frames of the Rose Art boards I already had.
Under the cabinets they fit perfectly.
Our mudroom seems to be the hub of our home.  It needed to be better organized.
I added pretty magazine holders, one for each child, to stash text books, CCD books and whatever else seems to pile up for each of them in the mud room.
The entire mudroom makeover, including accessories, was under $200!!  I really can't wait to hear what you think of the mudroom.  I always love and appreciate your comments. I am thrilled with how it came out.  I think I am actually looking forward to doing laundry!
Don't forget the Winter Blues Wednesday party is still going on.  You can join in the fun here.

-Judy

51 comments:

Anonymous said...

Judy, that looks lovely!

Sandy said...

I love the beadboard Judy! You did a wonderful job all the touches are just lovely.

At The Picket Fence said...

Oh my it turned out beautiful Judy! You are inspiring me! I have a mud room off garage and separate laundry room, I think I might need to do both this spring with a board and batten treatment. Props to you...job well done!

Heather@ At The Picket Fence

Allison Nicole said...

Great Job! It looks awesome!

Michell @ Girl In Air said...

Great Job!

Heather said...

Judy, your mudroom looks great! I just love the board and batten. By taking down the old wallpaper, you really made the room look fresh and up to date. Thanks for sharing framing tips. I always seem to struggle with that. Everything just looks sooo nice!!

The Old White Barn said...

Love your ideas - your new mud room definately has that "Pottery Barn Feel"! Good for you!
Stopping by from Thirsty Thursday and now following for more great ideas!
Susan

Rashon Carraway said...

This a really fresh and welcoming mudroom.

Mr. Goodwill Hunting

Chris said...

What a wonderful mudroom! Love it!

At The Picket Fence said...

I am going to echo everyone else (including my sister up there) and say WOW!! This looks fabulous Judy and every time I see another room in your house I am reminded of how much I love your style. Job very well done, my friend! :-)
Vanessa

Lisa said...

I LOVE IT! It came out so beautiful! I need to redo my laundry room bad! I just love the board and batten and a makeover for $200??!?!? You can't beat that!

Anonymous said...

Hi Judy! Oh, how elegant! At first I thought I was looking at your front entry - beautiful! Love all you've done! The most elegant laundry room I've ever seen.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Tracy said...

Wow you have done well love it

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Judy your mudroom looks fantastic! I love the board & batten, your key art and all the organization on the opposite wall! Well done!

Traci said...

It looks great! Amazing that you could make such a dramatic change with so little money!

Karen said...

It looks beautiful,like a million bucks you got a great bang for the buck here.

Rachael said...

Judy, That looks great! Such a transformation. I just finished a board and batten treatment too... in our front entry. I linked it to your party, but you can check it out here...
http://the-willow-bee.blogspot.com/2011/03/welcome-home.html

Susan Anderson said...

Looks fantastic!

=)

Judie said...

That is one fancy mudroom, and I LOVE it!!!

Nicole said...

Without the wallpaper the room looks so much bigger! Love that you did all the art DIY style such a personal touch.
Looks fabulous!

laxsupermom said...

Terrific job! Your mudroom looks like a million bucks! I can't believe you did the entire makeover for so little. Definitely going in my laundry room inspiration file. Thanks for sharing.

Ivy said...

Great job! It looks awesome!
I've never really been impressed with board and batten but after seeing your finished project I like it. I really like it!
I was considering bead board in one of my bathrooms. Now, I know I will be awake all night pondering which one to do. ha ha

Unknown said...

Such a great space. Good for you! I love the white fresh look.

Debbiedoos said...

That is unbelievable Judy! Great job you did, I bet you kinda miss the wallpaper though NOT!

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

I love it! I wouldn't mind doing laundry in there at all. Put a tv in and I'd move right in....

storybeader said...

why the name, mudroom? It looks to be too beautiful a space! I like the shadow box and the keys a lot! {:-Deb

Vicki/Jake said...

So pretty...MUD room just sounds wrong:)

La said...

Nice Unveiling. I like the key shadowbox.

Christina said...

AHHH I LOVE THIS!!! You did SUCH an amazing job! I am seriously in love with everything!!

Thanks so much for linking to "20 Below Thursday"! :)

mrs. c said...

Your mudroom is so clean and organized. I think the colors are amazing and the corkboards are my favorite. Thanks for sharing and giving us such great instructions. I would try to do do something like this because of your great directions and ideas!

Allison {A Glimpse Inside} said...

Beautiful job! It looks SO MUCH BETTER! Thanks so much for linking up!

elizabeth@themustardceiling said...

I love your mud room. The board and batten turned out gorgeous. I love the color you chose for the walls too. Great job.

Pondside said...

I like it a lot! It looks so organized but still has a nice warm feel. Way to go!

Marie C. said...

This is beautiful! You did a fabulous job!

Jen said...

Love the molding and the natural light.
It is so very organized! Great job!

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

This looks great! I am your newest follower! Would love for you to follow me too!

dreaming-n-color.blogspot.com

At The Picket Fence said...

Hi Judy! I gotta tell you that you definitely helped me get my wood trim mojo going after seeing this! :-) I've got beadboard plans this weekend for my kiddos bathroom. Thanks so much for linking this up to Inspiration Friday and being such a great support to us At the Picket Fence!
Vanessa

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Judy your mudroom looks fabulous!! Love the board and batten. Great Job, Martina

{oc cottage} said...

WOWIE KUHZOWIE!!!!!

m ^..^

Joy@Thrifty Parsonage Living said...

What a great transformation! It looks amazing!

beth said...

I love it!! The colors are so pretty, and soothing. Beautiful!
Hope you have a wonderful weekend!
Beth.

Pat said...

You have redefined the term "mud room!" The lightness and organization are really nice.

rebeckah@mydwellingplace said...

Love the board and batten....its just what I want to do in my entry way. Are you finding that it is wearing well? My girlfriend paneled her staircase and has a "no hands on the white" rule!

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

OMGosh! It all looks fabulous! I will for sure be back on Weds to link up with your party, but I will be checking in daily to see what you come up with next!

Crystal said...

Wow! I absolutely LOVE your blog!!! I am truly inspired! Now, I can't wait to redo my mudroom! Thanks so much for following me at Homemaker in Heels! I am now following back via Google Friend Connect and FB. Have a wonderful week! :)
Crysta~ http://www.homemakerinheels.com/

Mariaelena said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mariaelena said...

You did a great job in there. I love it....very envious of that great space....
Mariaelena

Jenny said...

How can I possibly leave you a comment with what I think when I am speechless.

Wow!

Wow!

Love your colors and the charming accesories you made and/or repurposed and refinished for the space.

How clever to use the paint discards as accents. That is one of the best ideas I've seen.

This was an unbelievable link to Alphabe-Thursday's letter "U".

Wow!

A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Unknown said...

great job on the mudroom it turned out beautiful and i love the little shadow box with word laundry that you just did as well.

Cheryl said...

Thanks for visiting my blog . . . you're right . . . our mudrooms are very similar! You did a GREAT job!! I love your blog. I'm your newest follower! :)
~cheryl

Rachel said...

Thanks for coming by my blog. :) Your mudroom looks great. I love the board and batten and you're so organized now!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...