Pages

Monday, March 21, 2011

It Took A Puzzle

When my kids were off for February break, we bought a puzzle to do as a family.  They love to do puzzles, especially during a break when we actually have some time to work on it.  We started it that week, but I kept the kids pretty busy, so we didn't have as much time to work on the puzzle as we thought we would.  So, it has been set up on my dining room table for weeks.  We would work on it for 10 or 15 minutes here and there.  On Saturday I told everyone that by the end of the day we needed to complete the 1000 piece puzzle.  I wanted my dining room table back.
So we started working on it during the day on Saturday, and again Saturday night for several hours.  By 10pm we called it a night with about 100 pieces left to go.  Sunday we finally finished.
The last break my kids had we did another puzzle by the same company and using Mod Podge saved the puzzle and then framed it.  We did the same thing this time.  One coat of Mod Podge on the front and one coat on the back is all it takes.
I went to Michael's craft store and bought a poster frame (to match the frame we already have hanging) from the last puzzle.
Here it is...framed and ready to be hung next to the puzzle from last year.

The entire time we worked on the puzzle the chairs from the dining room table were constantly in our way.  I have three chairs on each side plus the two head chairs for a total of eight chairs around the table.   I realized that the table looked so crowded with all of those chairs.
That's when it hit me...why not move the two head chairs to the bay window area of the room and make a little sitting area?  This way the table won't look nearly as crowded when it's not in use.
I got the little table from the living room and moved it in between the chairs.  I love my little sitting area.  I think I'll be changing those pillows, but for now, I'm loving my new little sitting area.  All because of us working on a puzzle.  This was definitely one of those, "why didn't I think of this earlier" moments.  Why not have an cozy little area in a dining room?  Let me know what you think of my new sitting area.  I always love and appreciate your comments.

-Judy

21 comments:

Dianne said...

I love it with the chairs by the window..don't you love when you do something simple and change something so much.

Debbiedoos said...

That is so cool Judy that you guys do those puzzles. I love it framed. The new sitting area looks great!

Unknown said...

Judy, looks like you kept them busy... and your sitting looks great Have a great week

Pattie

Anonymous said...

A nice and easy way to create more space. Looks good!! We used to do puzzles a lot when we were kids and my mom also framed them...amazing we didn't loose and pieces! :)

laxsupermom said...

I don't remember the last time we did a puzzle together. What a fun idea! I used to enjoy doing puzzles all the time, and am sure it would be a great family activity.

Love the new arrangement! It looks terrific! I love your little garden seat table! Gorgeous! Do you remember where you got it? Thanks for sharing.

Cool stuff art gallery said...

We love to do puzzles. What a GREAT idea!!

Pam@OurAdventuresInHomeImprovement said...

I love the new sitting area! The chairs look beautiful there and work well to create more room around the table. Nice work!

Have a great day.
Pam

Yvonne@StyleBurb said...

I am impressed by your family's tenacity when it comes to puzzle completion! I love the little sitting area by the window. Thanks for the visit to my blog....I've added you as well. Happy first day of spring!

Tammy @BeatriceBanks said...

Such a pretty dining room! It's been so long since we've put together a puzzle. Great family activity.
Have a wonderful day!
Tammy

Unknown said...

Hi Judy,

Here's a quick tip on the puzzles. I flip my puzzles over after they are done and then duct tape the back. It works great and I don't have to wait for anything to dry. I use pushpins to hold my puzzles to the wall because I haven't wanted to find frames for them.

I like the sitting area. It looks great.

Sybilline said...

Looks like a crazy puzzle to do!! Well done! Very nice dining room!

glamourpuss said...

Love the extra chairs by the window! Always easy to add to the table at the last minute if needed! Visiting from Between Naps on the Porch. :)

hilary@oldhousetruelove said...

i adore your little sitting area! nice to meet you!

Anonymous said...

Oh, this is beautiful! I love the chairs by your windows. I love how you've dressed your table too. I have one of those pretty candlesticks! :)
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Ribbonwood Cottage said...

HI Judy! Boy what a beautiful dining room area you have. It is wonderful and I love the new seating area.
Blessings,
Debbie

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

Judy,

I love your sitting area in your dining room.

Cute puzzle idea.

Dee

jandjhome said...

What a fun idea. I remember doing these giant puzzles when I was young with my sisters and parents.

Rachel said...

YES! Very good idea! I like your style.

I'm one of your newest follows... come visit me. :) Really liking your blog so far. ~Rachel

At The Picket Fence said...

We love puzzles at our house too and do the same giant one every Christmas! It really is so good for family bonding time. I love the new arrangement in your dining room too Judy and definitely relate to the "why didn't I think of this sooner" feeling! :-)
Vanessa

abeachcottage said...

You have a beautiful dining room. The sitting area is a great way to maximize space! Love your dining table and chairs.

Be Colorful Coastal said...

Every home should have a great nook like this. Thanks for sharing on Motivated Monday at BeColorful
Pam

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...