Pages

Monday, April 4, 2011

All With a Yard of Fabric

Last week I bought one yard of fabric from JoAnn's which was on sale for $6.99.  I also bought two spools of grosgrain ribbon, each $2 after coupon.  I spent a total of $11 in materials.
I started by making two bolster pillows for my parents bed.  You can click here for a tutorial on how to make these easy bolster pillows.  I still had some material left...so I decided to cover their basic white plastic waste paper basket to make it something more special.

The fabric I had left wasn't a perfect rectangle, but that was okay, I knew I could make it work. Using my trusty glue gun, I went to work.  I squeezed a strip of hot glue down the side of the pail and pressed one end of the fabric against it.  I rolled the fabric around and glued the other end on as well.
For the bottom, I pleated the fabric and glued along the way.  Then I cut out a circular strip of fabric to cover the center that wasn't covered by fabric.
I then glued on grosgrain ribbon to the top and bottom of the basket.
Then I added four evenly spaced strips of the narrower grosgrain ribbon vertically.  I did all of this in the few minutes I had before dinner last night.  That's how it works here...I fit things in when I can.  See what a spare 15 minutes can do?
Voila!  From cheap plastic pail to chic addition to their bedroom.  This pail plus the two bolster pillows - all from a yard of fabric.  I still have a little bit of fabric left.  I'm sure I'll find something else to do with it.

I'd love to hear what you think of this transformation.  I always love and appreciate your comments.  Hope you have a great day.
-Judy

30 comments:

Unknown said...

The bin looks amazing and with hardly any cost! It looks very stylish. Sue x

Reunion Committee said...

oh that is sooooo cute! I love it!
~Tana

Andrea said...

Very cute! I always hate having wastepaper baskets in the bedroom because they are so tacky, but you nailed this!

Bethany @ Our 4 Sons Plus 1...Super Cute Girly Girl said...

Love it! What an easy, inexpensive way to add the perfect finishing touches!

A Vintage Vine said...

WOW great deal on the fabric! Looks wonderful! I need to go check out your tutorial on the pillows..I am thinking about one on my daughters bed!

Leda said...

Your parents are lucky to have a crafty daughter like you! I've been following their beautiful bedroom transformation. Great job!

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Judy I love it! PB sells fabric wastepaper baskets and they are pretty pricey and they don't have all that great detail on it either. Great Job, Martina

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

What a fabulous idea. I love it. Hugs, Marty

Sbb1 Wellness said...

Everything looks so "straight out of a magazine" I love it!

christini yogini said...

Spectacular!

Heather said...

Wow! You are really getting your money's worth!

Kara said...

How creative! I love this! You did a great job. It's amazing how far a simple yard of fabric can go...and what all you can do with it if you put your mind to it. Your blog is awesome btw :-).

At The Picket Fence said...

That looks fabulous Judy! Your mom and dad must be so pleased with these custom touches being added to their room. :-)
Vanessa

laxsupermom said...

What a fantastic way to dress up something so utilitarian and make it part of the decor! Love it! I love that you were able to use the scrap from the bolsters, too. Thanks for sharing.

Ms. Bake-it said...

Well now, that was very clever of you! What a great idea! I will have to add this to my to do list. Every time I was in the guest bathroom this weekend I kept thinking how ugly the trash can is. Now, thanks to you, I know how to take care of that particular eyesore!

~ Tracy

cathysrunning said...

Very cute and easy! Great use of your fabric scraps!

Mary said...

You did a really great job! Thank you for sharing this at Masterpiece Monday. Have a great week, Mary :O)

Donna~One Simple Country Girl said...

Great job! Love the print on that fabric.
Donna

{darlene} @ fieldstonehill said...

the bolsters are GREAT! but the wastebasket was extra creative. great job, Judy!!!
-{darlene}
fieldstonehilldesign.com

Terri said...

I loved the bolsters but the trash can is even better. It looks awesome and I do believe I'll be copying your idea, thank you very much. LOL :)

Dragonfliez Made said...

I love the bolsters. I can never get mine right. And the trash can is adorable!

newest follower! Thanks for visiting me

annies home said...

love all the beautiful blue which is my favorite color come see my blog at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

Mrs. Turkey Bird said...

Wow! M'okay, I'm a quilter and so I've got a HUGE stash of fabric, and quite a collection of ugly trash cans. All I need is a glue gun and some ribbon and I'm set. Watch out world! Thanks for the great ideas! :)

Emily at The Fine House said...

Your house is gorgeous! So much inspriation :) I've made tons of pillows but never a bolster-so pretty.
Thanks for stopping by my blog-I'm a following you now too.

Emily

Unknown said...

OMG that is adorable! My husband just saw your trash bin and wants me to make one for his 'man cave.' Cute, cute, cute!

The Single Nester said...

I love the fabric you chose and just recently blogged about fabric I purchased from JoAnns. Checking out your tutorial.

Jessica Lauren said...

Love this! Great idea! Thanks for following me, following you back now!

Mrs. Turkey Bird said...

M'okay, I had to come back and tell you how inspirational you'd been. Thanks to your gorgeous example, in the mist of reorganizing a bookshelf, and realizing I needed ONE more basket, and that the cardboard box I was using to sort stuff actually fit well in the space... erm, well, let's just say that I had a DIY by Design moment! One piece of batting left over from my last quilt, and a bit of fabric I'd bought over a decade ago later, I'd upholstered a cardboard box. Using straight pins.

I'll need to send you some photos somehow, but let me just say how delighted I am! :) Thanks!!!

-Mrs. Turkey
turkeylists.blogspot.com

Sew Can Do said...

Great idea & very cute. Thanks for linking to Craftastic Monday:)

Unknown said...

That bedding looks fabulous! So sophisticated. Such an upgrade from the toile. Just clicked over from Ange's bedroom post on Blooming Hydrangea...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...