Pages

Thursday, April 14, 2011

DIY Magazine Holder

I have wanted to get my daughter a magazine holder for her desk for a while.  It would help neaten up her desk as well as give her a place for all of her tween magazines.  I've searched for a while for one to coordinate with the memo board I created (click here for that tutorial).
I couldn't find anything I loved.  I thought about buying a magazine holder and then covering it with the leftover fabric I had from the memo board, but why spend money on a magazine holder when I could probably make one from scratch.
My solution...a UPS box.  You could also use a Fed Ex, USPS etc box as well.  I used the medium size UPS which had a depth of 3" which would work for the magazine holder.
I put one end of the box together and stood it next to a magazine holder I had in the house from my mudroom.  I used my mudroom magazine holder as a guide and traced all four sides.
Then using a utility knife, I carefully cut along my pencil line.
Using the left over fabric from my daughter's memo board, I laid the new magazine holder on the fabric and traced around it, rolling the box as I continued to trace the shape.  This way I had one continuous piece of fabric (only one seam that way).
Using Mod Podge I applied the fabric to the box.  I must tell you that Mod Podge works so well with fabric.  I find it so much easier than working with paper...but that's just me.
I wrapped it all around until the last edge overlapped a little bit.
I folded under that edge and used Mod Podge to hold it in place.  It holds almost immediately.
I then folded each of those edges over to the inside of the box and used Mod Podge again to adhere it.  I then used the remaining fabric and covered the inside as well.   The inside was trickier mainly because I was cutting it close on fabric...I had one continuous piece of fabric inside as well except for one little patched area (which is low enough that you can't see it).  Keep in mind that both the memo board and the magazine rack were created using a total of one yard of fabric.
Here is the final product...it came out exactly as I had envisioned it.
You can see how I folded over all of the inside and outside edges in this closeup to give it a store-bought look.  I love this project -  it was easy and free.  What a perfect combination!
My Swing into Spring party link will stay open through Friday.  You can click here to join in the fun.

Let me know what you think of the new magazine holder.  I always love and appreciate your comments.

-Judy

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a great idea - thanks! That was really pretty fabric you used too.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

What a great idea to coordinate your accessories, Judy! A memo board and a magazine holder from one yard of fabric ~ that's a linky party in the making! I love that you used the UPS box, too.

extreme personal measures said...

Great idea! I will be featuring this late morning!



Denise
Extreme Personal Measures

Anonymous said...

Great idea!! I love the fabric you chose...I really have to get my butt to the fabric store!!

aggieam01 said...

Love this idea!!! I might try this with my son and all his gaming magazines. This turned out great!!

laxsupermom said...

Love this idea! I have a DHL box upstairs just begging to be sliced up and covered now. Thanks for sharing.

Colleen said...

I love how this came out. I didn't even know you could use modge podge on fabric.

foreverdecorating said...

Very cool. Looks great!

At The Picket Fence said...

That is so clever Judy! I'm always amazed at what you come up with and how the idea in your mind actually translates into such a successful project. That is NOT what usually happens for me! LOL! :-)
Vanessa

Heather said...

Wow, Judy, you really are so very clever. I just love the way this came out! It's great how everything coordinates.

Unknown said...

It looks great! And another Bieber fan I see...:)

Katie said...

I love this! What a creative idea! And now you have a custom file box that looks better than the store bought ones!! =)

Illuminations Design Studio said...

What a great idea!

Ashleigh@Sincerely said...

I might have to do this! I need a place for all the magazines I refuse to get rid of!

Carolyn@Sweet Chaos Home said...

Cute and clever! Great job, Judy :)

Christina said...

oh this looks so good!! I really love it...and FREE is perfect!!!

Thanks so much for linking to "20 Below Thursday"! :)

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Perfect idea for my daughter's room. Love the fabric :)

Unknown said...

So clever! Saw this on A Glimpse Inside and loved the pattern! : )

Anonymous said...

superb!! thats gorgeous!! What an amazing idea.. I love the matching fabric as well..

Anonymous said...

I just bought a "fancy" mag holder at a church rummage sale. Now I am going to trace it and make several others. Thank you very much.

Anonymous said...

cuteeee and i love your poster:)
stopping by from Trendy Treehouse!
Please stop by and say hi

xoxo
bB
www.itsybitsybrianna.wordpress.com

Christina said...

I featured this today on my blog...congrats!! Come get a "featured" button :)

http://christinasadventures2010.blogspot.com/2011/04/sunday-features-16.html

Mindy @ Heart Maine Home said...

LOVE this idea! I'll have to steal it for my office makeover.

Jamie Bartlett said...

Hi Judy, This is so cute. I just love Mod Podge. Thanks for checking out our blog and becoming our newest follower! I'll be following your blog as well. I can't wait to see all of your fabulous DIYs

Austin and Amy Smith said...

Thanks for posting this! The bigger size is perfect for music - which I have a TON of!! With the piano in my formal living room, I was looking for someway to keep the music in there without looking cluttered. This is PERFECT - any ideas for labeling them?

Ruby said...

This is a really easy and useful project! I think it’s great that you recycled the UPS box to make this. I also like the fabric that you used to design the magazine holder that matches with the memo board. I’m sure that your daughter loved what you made for her room.

Ruby Badcoe

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...