Pages

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Before and After Kitchen - Repost

Usually between Christmas and New Years we enjoy time as a family doing day trips and just relaxing.  Unfortunately the stomach virus has hit our house and two out of the four of us have been down for the count.  I woke up yesterday feeling horrible and it went downhill from there.  My son got it this morning.  My two nieces also apparently got it yesterday.  Somebody obviously brought more than desert to our Christmas Eve.  This is the first time I have been vertical in over 30 hours.

Here is a repost of our kitchen remodel project.  Hope you like it.


Here is our new kitchen.  It's everything we want.

But it's not where we began.  This is how we began:


Our original kitchen
We built this house almost twelve years ago.  At the time this was exactly what we wanted.  We were young and just so happy to be building a house.  Who knew from granite?   I remember that the big choice with the builder was between formica and corian. We did the standard tiles in the kitchen and standard cabinets and appliances.  It's amazing how much our tastes have changed.  I'm glad we didn't upgrade anything, since a few years ago we gutted the entire kitchen and started over.  We removed all of the tile and put in beautiful hardwood floors and stained them in a dark color.  This was a bigger job than we realized.  If you remove tile to add different tile it's not a big deal because you are only removing the tile.  When you remove tile to put in a hardwood floor, you have to remove the tile, the mud base and the wire beneath.  The day they removed the tile I came home and when I pulled up outside the house the dust and smoke leaving my house was so bad that I thought the house was on fire.

The kitchen is a very large space, but the way it was set up it seemed like two small spaces.  The kitchen had a peninsula which we thought we loved until we really started working in the kitchen and realized it locked the person cooking into one area and separated them from everyone else.

Peninsula which divided the kitchen
 The kitchen also had a desk area.  Sounded like a great idea at the time.  However, the reality was that it was a pile collector.  No one actually sat there and worked.  When we would have parties we would set up the desk area as the bar area with all of the sodas and drinks and ice set up.

Desk area before
This is the after of the same space.  We had the cabinetry wrap the corner and made an actual bar area.  There is a beverage refrigerator and well as two locked cabinets with drinks for any of our over 21 year old friends.  The glass cabinets house my wine glasses.

Another view of the old kitchen
Here is the after.  I still loved the table and didn't really want to get rid of it.  Instead I painted the table base and all of the chairs a bronze color (originally it was grey which didn't go with the new kitchen).  I then reupholstered all of the chairs in a fabric that coordinated with the new color scheme.  The tablecloth is actually no longer on the table - instead I have four place mats that match the window treatment.

Chandelier is by ABC Crystal.  It was perfect for over the huge island.

View of the valance and window treatment over the sink.

It was a huge project.  The project did not go smoothly...at all...there was a very bad middle section, but in the end it turned out just the way we wanted.  Let me know what you think of the kitchen.

-Judy

35 comments:

Traci said...

I hope everyone is feeling better soon!

I adore your kitchen! I'm am sooooo in want of a kitchen remodel. Sadly, the hubby is not. I won't give up though!! Thanks for sharing. Have a Happy New Year!

Unknown said...

WOW!!!!!!!! I am not sure why I never really saw the before. It is just a stunning transformation. I bet you love cooking in there. How beautiful.

Unknown said...

gorgeous!

Unknown said...

What a transformation! Your kitchen space is wonderful and I am assuming a joy to work in! Feel better :)

Blessings!
Gail

kara@elements-interiors.net said...

WOW! BEAUTIFUL! Thank you so much for linking up! Hope u feel better!

xoxokara

Gypsy Heart said...

Your kitchen is just gorgeous! I covet huge kitchens. :-) Everything is just beautiful and I know you enjoy it.

So sorry you've been sick. We had a wonderful Christmas, however, my daughter and friends got very sick Christmas evening. Hope all of you are better soon!

I'm your newest follower and I look forward to getting to know you and gleaning tips from your designs.

Wishing you a very Happy New Year!
Pat

Leah said...

What a gorgeous makeover! I love!

Luvs!

Vanessa said...

Oh Judy I am so sorry that you have all been sick! That is not the best way to ring in the new year. Hope you start feeling better soon! I loved seeing this post again because I think it was the very first time I found your blog and our bloggy friendship began! It is definitely a drool worthy kitchen and totally worth any headaches along the way. :-)
Blessings to you in the New Year!
Vanessa

Tatum @ Tatum's Take said...

Wow!!! Your kitchen is absolutely dreamy. What a transformation.

Great job!!

Roberta said...

Hi Judy,
I hope you feel better soon !!
Your kitchen is very nice !!

Best wishes for the coming year !!

Roberta - La Sportina

Debbiedoos said...

So worth it, you come a long way! Happy New Year!

An Oasis in the Desert said...

First, hope you feel better soon. I'm dealing with a very bad cold, but that is preferable to the stomach bug. Your kitchen remodel is great. I can totally relate on how big an undertaking this can be as we did it just a few years ago. The old saying that "the kitchen is the heart of the home" is so true. It can make or break a home. You did a great job! Happy New Year!
CAS

An Oasis in the Desert said...

Oops, I keep forgetting to mention that I'm a new follower. Your blog looks like it will be fun and interesting.
CAS

Jen said...

Love everything about this kitchen! Feel better soon...

Jeammette

Pamela said...

Judy your new kitchen is just breath taking!

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Hi Judy, Absolutely LOVE your kitchen!! It is so beautiful- you did a fantastic job on it! Hope you are all feeling better now. Thanks for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday~ Happy New Year!

Lori @ Projects Plenty said...

Gorgeous kitchen! I love your glazed cabinetry and how you did a stained finish in the bar area. Your island chandlier is beautiful and I love the cabinetry hardware you chose. I also have an integrated panelled refrigerator in my kitchen... love the look. Well done!

Linda Q said...

Wow what a great transformation. I really love it, like the finish on the cabinets. That is what I would do if I were redoing.
Thanks for sharing, feel better soon!!
Linda

Vanessa said...

Hey Judy! Just coming back by to say thanks for linking up your gorgeous kitchen to the party this week and I hope you guys are all feeling better!
Vanessa

Mary said...

Hi, I found your blog over at My Romantic Home. I love your kitchen makeover! I would love it if you linked this to my new link party-Masterpiece Monday, at my blog, Boogieboard Cottage. The link will be up Sunday.
Take care, Mary :O)

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

Hi-
I found you at Jane's!
I'm a sucker for a good kitchen makeover! It's fabulous, every inch of it is just beautiful!
Thanks for sharing!
XO
Kristin

Something Nice and Pretty said...

Hi, visiting from Show & Tell! Beautiful kitchen, love the island and the bar area!

~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

Good Morning, sending you healthy thoughts today. What a great looking kitchen so many things to love. Thanks for sharing and Oh yes, I'm a new follower so I'll be back.
~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

YOur kitchen is everything I want. Our kitchen is way too small!!!! We entertain alot, everyone wants to congregate in the kitchen and then we are all crammed in there:( You all did a BEAUTIFUL job. I can imagine what a mess it was during construction though!!!! XO, Pinky

Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

HOLY MOLY, that was an awesome redo!!! Great job!! I'm sure it was a huge, messy job; ugh. We did our kitchen over and it made the biggest mess! Plus, it stinks not to be able to cook & eat normally.

Thanks for visiting my blog! I'm going to look around more on your blog now.

Julie said...

Enjoyed my visit to your blog! Beautiful kitchen.

Amy Chalmers said...

Your kitchen is really great. I wish you had a few more closeups of the cabinetry and the backsplash etc. I found you at Freckled Laundry. Very inspiring!

Michelle said...

Love your kitchen! I'm hoping to redo mine soon. How large is your kitchen?

Unknown said...

I love LOVE LOVE your kitchen.

Jodie said...

Judy, this is one of my "all time" favorite kitchens. Perfect!

Sliding Wardrobe Doors said...

Thanks for shairng such a wonderful blog,According to me one of the best benefits of kitchen remodeling is that it will actually increase the value of your home.

Sticks and Stones Home Decor said...

New to your blog and love it. I am totally loving your kitchen. Great Job!

Beverly said...

Judy, I love it! I had a very similar redo in my kitchen but I really love your layout better than mine.

Anita Diaz said...

I just love your kitchen!! Gorgeous cabinetry!

Unknown said...

You are amazing and Beautiful job! I love everything you did and your style is perfect. thanks for sharing
Kitchen And Bath Design Center
Kitchen Cabinet Planner
Bathroom Remodel
Flooring Installation

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...