Pages

Monday, December 6, 2010

A twist on word art

I have been loving the word art I see all over blogland.
image from etsy

I wanted something similar in my daughter's room.  I wanted the art to have significance to her, so I used a phrase that we use often in our home...Ability, Opportunity, Desire, Heart - you need all four to excel in anything.

I started with a blank canvas which I painted with the left over paint from her room.  I painted a pink border around the canvas.

I then painted a second border in an aqua blue (actually one of the samples I did not use for her room because it was a little too icy blue for all of the walls, but perfect for a piece of art).  The center is left unpainted intentionally.
Next I took a piece of scrapbook paper and cut it to the size I needed.  I chose a soft pink damask.  

On my computer I printed out the words in the font and color I wanted.  I cut scrapbook paper to size and the used that in my printer.
I wanted a shabby chic look so there was no need to cut neat edges.  I literally ripped each of the words from the page leaving intentionally jagged edges.
I then used mod podge to decoupage the words to the damask paper.
 I used different paper for each of the words
I then decoupaged the damask paper to the canvas.  I used the mod podge on both the canvas and the paper and then used my pampered chef rolling pin to help me get out the bubbles.

 Next I wanted to add three dimensional flowers to the art.  I decided to use some of the paint chips I had collected while trying to pick a paint color for my daughter's room.
These paint chips were from Lowes and were larger than some of the other chips I had which worked well for this project.  I traced a simple flower on the back of the paint chip.
I then cut that out and traced it over and over again on different shades of blue color chips.

I also cut out a multi-layer heart.

I then layered those pieces on top of each other and cut out a circle for the middle.  When I applied the mod podge it caused the "petals" of the flowers to curl up.  An unexpected but added bonus to my project.


No matter how much I rolled I kept being able to see the bubbles in the glue.  I was flipping out a little bit.  I decided to be patient and see what happened after it dried.


I am so happy to report that after it dried, all the bubbles went away and this is the end product:

I haven't finalized where it is going in her room just yet but as soon as I do, I will share with you her completed room.  Let me know what you think.  I always love and appreciate your comments.

-Judy


I'm linking up with:


Photobucket

16 comments:

Unknown said...

I love your shabby chic word art! Sooo cute! Thanks for sharing with my Pink Hippo Party and for following.. I am your newest follower too!

Cheri said...

Love this! Thanks for visiting and following my blog - following you back!

DandoisLion DeLights said...

Thanks for your comment on my Naughty or Nice book. Your word art is super cute. Can't wait to see the finished room!

Vanessa said...

Hi Judy! This looks so great! I love this idea, especially for building confidence in our kiddos. I also got to peek at your last post and see all of your lovely Christmas decor around your gorgeous home! :-)
Vanessa

Debbiedoos said...

The finished product ought to be fantastic!

Unknown said...

This is great! I love it!

Brandi said...

Hi Judy! Thanks for stopping by and visiting my blog! I appreciate your comments on my lamp.

This is such a neat idea. Great way to make use of the paint chips. I love the words you choose for your daughter's board. I'd love to follow your blog. You have a lovely home!

Sue@Uniquely Chic said...

Hi Judy, thanks for popping by. Notice how I went directly to the paint label?? This turned out great, very, very creative!

Unknown said...

What a great message to have her see over and over again as silent reminder.

Susan Anderson said...

Pretty neat! I'm impressed by your ability to just put that together.

=)

NatureGirl said...

So so cute! I am going to grab all those old paint chips from the junk drawer right now and put them in my craft room! What a great repurpose! Happy AlphabeThursday!

Splendid Little Stars said...

What a fantastic project! stylish and inspirational!

Karen said...

Love that you hand crafted something personal for your daughter's room! And it came out really nice!! :>

Judie said...

Very clever! It gives me lots of ideas!

Jenny said...

Judy, this is so clever!

I love how you personally you interpreted this concept. It's fun finding the idea and then making it your own.

If I had a bit more time before Christmas I might attempt these for my Granddaughters. Really cool idea.

Thank you for linking.

A+

Unknown said...

Such a sweet piece of art, Judy! Lovely & inspiring piece for your daughter. Thank you so much for linking with air your laundry Friday.

Hugs,
Jami

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...