Pages

Monday, December 20, 2010

Christmas Dining Room

As you know, we are hosting Christmas Eve.  We are having 16 adults and 10 kids for a traditional Italian seven fish meal.  I will post our menu later this week.  In order to make Christmas Eve run smoothly, I like to do as much as I can prior to Friday.  So this weekend it was time to get our dining room ready for Christmas Eve dinner.



Here is the finished product.  Let me show you exactly how I achieved this look.


This is what my dining room looked like before I started it's mini-transformation.  The first thing I did was enlist my husband's help for a bit and open up the table, add another leaf, and add all of the table pads.

Early Saturday morning I started this process by going to Home Goods to get some "supplies".  First things first...a new tablecloth.  I wanted a neutral backdrop to my tablescape.
I find it's easiest to just iron the tablecloth on the table.  The tablecloth I purchased is 120" long.

This centerpiece I bought that morning at Home Goods as well.  I had a basic idea as to what I wanted to achieve, but things got tweaked along the way.  I needed this piece elevated a little bit.  I used a box that I had gotten my bare essentuals makeup in.  It was in the right colors.
It needed something...so I went to my fabric stash and found this fabric.  I had bought a yard of it years ago but never ended up using it.  I laid it on the table, tucking it under to hide the raw edges.

I had also bought some very large glass jars at Home Goods.  Home Goods is such a perfect place to get these.  I bought three.  Two were $9.99 and the other one was $14.99.  For some reason not only did these have the Home Goods tag, they also had an electronic tag (maybe from when it was in another store) plus two more labels on each.  Hubby...more help please.  He was sweet enough to clean those jars up for me while I continued to set my Christmas table.

Image from Pottery Barn
These are similar jars from Pottery Barn...difference is these range from $59-$79 each.  I didn't spend that much on all three of mine combined.

I didn't like how the candle centerpiece looked just on the box.  I went into the storage closet to see what we hadn't used for Christmas and found this small wreath.  As it turned out the box fit perfectly in the center of the wreath.

I took my new jars and filled two of them with different ornaments.  One I filled with gold and burgundy colored ornaments.  The other I filled with smaller multi-colored ornaments.  They weren't large enough to fill the entire jar...so I took some more fabric...a dark green silk, put the silk in the jar and then arranged the ornaments around it.  I used red ribbon and tied a bow on each of the jars.

While in the storage room I found this greenery.  I put it behind the third jar on the buffet table.  I used a sample piece of green silk I had lying around and literally stuffed it in the jar and added a candle on top.

I added four more crystal candle sticks which I had in a cabinet.  I use battery operated candles and tea lights.  I have way too much going on to remember I have candles burning.  This way I can keep it lit all night, nothing gets black, and I don't have to worry.

up close picture of jar with silk fabric and ornaments
up close of jar with gold and burgundy ornaments


Next...the plates.  I have a set of basic white plates for when we entertain large groups (or for when I don't want to hand wash my good china after a party).  It is service for twenty-four.

For each place setting, I  folded a napkin and laid it in the center of the plate.  I decided I would tie a ribbon around each of the napkins.  I tied the ribbon around the napkin and took my scissors and cut the end.   OOPS...

HUBBY...ouch!!!  I snipped my finger as well.  After that I cut all of the ribbons first and then tied them on.

Oh so festive.

The room during the day...and at night.
I'm excited to have the dining room done.  There are a few more things I may add if I have time.  If I do, I will be sure to share.  Let me know what you think.  I love and appreciate your comments.  Thanks.

-Judy

24 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Your tablescape is just stunning. I love the jars and the candel. So beautiful. Hugs, Marty

Unknown said...

A truely gorgeous table! Your guests will feel so special dining at this lovely table!

CHRISTmas Blessings!
Gail

Val said...

Your table is so festive and gorgeous.

Melissa N. said...

Judy, amazing! Thanks for sharing all your steps. Sometimes it can be intimidating to put something this fab together, you make is simple and chic. Merry Christmas!

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

This is beautiful and the room just glows...I can certainly imagine sitting down to a festive holiday dinner here, enjoy!!! (and be careful!)Janell

Unknown said...

GORGEOUS, EVERY bit of love and detail you put into it. WELL DONE! Jen- CraftOManiac

Susan said...

WOW!That was a lot of work but it looks beautiful. Hope you all have a fabulous time. Susan

Vanessa said...

First of all, your dining room looks huge Judy! What a great space. And you have made it look so beautiful all dressed up and waiting for everyone to come and ohhh and ahhh over it! I love the fabric touched in the jar and think that is just a genius idea! :-)
Vanessa

Cass @ That Old House said...

What a beautiful setting for a wonderful Christmas Eve banquet! Just lovely. Festive and very "Christmas-y." I wish you and your family a happy and blessed holiday!
Cass

Anonymous said...

That looks very inviting. Have a wonderful Christmas.

Roberta said...

VERY NICE !!
BLESSED CHRISTMAS
ROBERTA
LA SPORTINA

curlie girlie said...

Gorgeous!
I'm your newest follower from the Mid Week Mingle...come follow me back! :)
Sara
http://curliegirlie03.blogspot.com

The Pilot's Wife said...

It looks beautiful!!!

Just out for a Mid Week Mingle! Happy to have found your blog!

Anna, The Pilot's Wife
www.pilotwife.blogspot.com

Pondside said...

I can imagine that your Christmas dinner will be wonderful at that beautiful table. Merry Christmas!

Susan Anderson said...

Wow, wow, WOW!

And boy, are they lucky!!!

Merry Christmas to all of you!

=)

Unknown said...

I love your table! Everything looks amazing!

Judie said...

Yours is the kind fo creativity that I just adore!! Merry Christmas!

Teresa said...

Very creative. Absolutely beautiful!

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Very beautiful! It was fun following along with your photos and see how your dining room transformed...Have a blessed Christmas eve dinner with all your family!

Blessings & Aloha!
I LOVE going to Home Goods :o)

Jo said...

oh what a lovely looking table!

Susan said...

Beautiful table!!

Warm, Bright blessings of the season to you and yours!

Susan

Nancy said...

Hi Judy
I love your Christmas tablescape! I'm Italian and would love to have eaten a traditional 7 fish feast! But all of the nieces & nephews wont eat fish. Maybe next year I'll sneak over to your place. I'm a new follower from Remodelholic. Please visit me at http://funwithnancy.blogspot.com
I'd love to have you follow back.
Thanks!

Jenny said...

I'm gonna say "I love you" but I don't want you to be afraid.

Iron on the table!!!! ACCCKKKK!!!! Why have I never thought of that?!!!! ACCCCKKKK!!!! We have a very long dining room table and each year I struggle with ironing the linens. I can hardly wait for the next holiday to give this a go.

Thanks for a joyous Holiday post.

Although I'm a bit late for Christmas, at least I can be early in wishing you a glorious 2011 filled with joy and discovery.

Thank you for linking.

A+

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

Judy, since I just found your blog(and ma your newest follower) I am going through some of your posts. Your table looked beautiful for Christmas eve!!!! We used to ahve a large gathering of people for our traditional Polish Christmas eve dinner. It would be 7 courses and it was ALOT of work til we really got it down to a science! We planned ahead and did alot ahead of time too. It was alot of fun but sadly our parents are gone and friends all have their own family events. I do miss doing it but.... So glad to have found yoy!!! XO, Pinky

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...