Pages

Friday, December 14, 2012

DIY Gift Idea - Pottery Barn Teen Inspired Style Tile Board

With Christmas getting closer and closer, I thought I would share a DIY project I did last year that would make a perfect gift for any tween or teen in your life.  I've made a few of these since the first one I made my daughter and the possibilities are endless as to the look you can create.

As you know, I recently updated my daughter's bedroom, at her request. 

Her new tween look is really coming together.  For a while now, she has wanted a memo board like the style tile boards Pottery Barn Teen sells.  

Images
I love them, however, they sell them at a very steep price (prices range from $179-$349...YIKES).


 I knew I could do something similar for so much less.

I started by purchasing four cork boards from Walmart.  They were $5 each and were 14"x14".  I then purchased two sets of frames, 28" long each,  on clearance from Michaels for $10 each.  I couldn't find white, so I painted the frames with the trim paint I used in her room.
I went to JoAnn's and picked out this fabric.   In total I spent just under $5 for all of the fabric.
Using duct tape I wrapped each of the cork boards in different fabric.

After all four were wrapped, I turned them over.

I then used duct tape to attach them all together.
The frame went together easily with a little wood glue and the L brackets that hold it all together.
It was that simple.
The calendar and memo board used to be on my daughter's wall.  They are vinyl adhesive and stick to anything, including these fabric covered tiles.  
You can see that we have my daughter's Pottery Barn Teen bean bag on the floor in the corner under the memo board.  It's actually a great place to hang out for her.  I think this wall is done now too.
My daughter was thrilled when she got home from school and saw what I had made for her.

Here's the cost breakdown:
4 corkboards at $5 each - $20
Fabric - $5
Frame - $20
Total cost - $45

The whole project took me under an hour. 
 It would have taken even less time if I didn't have to paint the frame.  

I can't wait to hear what you think.

-Judy

9 comments:

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

Judy your very clever right down to using duct tape. The memo board looks fantastic!!!

Dee

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I love it, Judy! It goes so well in her beautiful room, too!

AntiqueChase said...

Fab! My 15 year old wants one and how great to pick out your own fabrics. Love the Duct tape too :)

Much Ado About Somethin said...

That looks awesome! I would have LOVED that when I was a teen. Coolest mom ever. :)

Shabby Brocante, Karen said...

I think it looks amazing! Great job!
Karen

FabTwigs said...

The duct tape idea is great, Judy! The board is lovely!

Good Time Charlie said...

I have thought for so long about making one of these. What a great idea, and it turned out so much cuter than the ones that BIG EXPENSIVE store has!

Unknown said...

I love this! Cute, easy, and inexpensive! I am putting this in my inspiration file for my blog's up-cycling restyling of my teen's bedroom this summer. Great Post! Http://www.mypersonalaccent.com

Our Hopeful Home said...

I started collecting the supplies for this project like eons ago! Now I HAVE TO DO IT! Yours is awesome!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...