Pages

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Hurricane Sandy Transformation

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas.  Ours was just perfect, spending it with family and friends.   

 As many of you know, we live in the New York, and so many people in this area were dramatically effected by Hurricane Sandy.  My brother lives in Staten Island, and although he sustained minimal damage to his home, so many parts of Staten Island were not so lucky.   He is friends with a family whose basement was completely flooded.  They lost so much, however, they were able to salvage a few items after the storm, one of which was this doll cradle.  They have a young daughter, Riley,  who lost most of her toys to the storm, so my brother asked if I could work a little magic on this cradle.
 It started out as an old wood doll cradle.
I lightly sanded it, then sprayed it with primer and several coats of white spray paint.
Next, I started to decorative paint it.  I don't know this family at all, but I was told that the little girl liked pastel colors.  
I was also told that she really liked the chair I had transformed for my niece
I took that information and ran with it.
Obviously the old "cushion" wouldn't do anymore.
I covered a board with batting and some toile fabric I had in a pale pink and cream.
My hot glue gun made it easy to cover with batting and fabric.
I used my Silhouette machine to cut her name out of pink vinyl.
Isn't it so cute?
Here's one more look at the transformation.
I hope Riley will enjoy her "new" cradle and that it will bring a little joy to her and her family in an otherwise tough time.

Can't wait to hear what you think.
-Judy
Pin It

7 comments:

Terriea Kwong said...

Judy, you've a kind heart and creative to transform it to a pretty look. I'm sure the little girl loves it and also gives sunshine and smiles to the family.

NanaDiana said...

Judy- I think that is one of the sweetest transformations I have ever seen. I just love it. You did a wonderful job and I am sure Riley will be thrilled. xo Diana

Unknown said...

Judy, what a wonderful repurpose! That little one is so fortunate to have someone like you...Great job! Love love what you did with it, especially keeping her in mind! Thanks for sharing and thanks for making a little girl's heart rejoice!

All the Best,
Loretta

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

AWESOME transformation Judy!! Riley is going to love it!!

Gina said...

Oh Judy, this is beautiful! You did such an incredible job!

Anonymous said...

Judy your transformation of the doll cradle warms my heart! A beautiful makeover for a sweet child.

Unknown said...

Another great transformation Judy! I envy your creativity and resourcefulness.. I will definitely have something in my own with our old windows and be posted here, click here to visit. Happy New Year Judy!


Thanks,
Nancy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...