First things first, I picked out fabric I had left over from my daughter's room. The pink is a basket weave fabric that I had bought, but never used. The aqua fabric matches the bedskirt and shams I made for my daughter's bed and I would use that for the welting.
Janell's tutorial several times.
Janell's directions exactly. With right sides together I sewed from the edge a little bit and left enough for the zipper to fit. I sewed the zipper to the "wrong" side of the fabric and then to the other side. I was so excited I had just sewed my first zipper. Now, it was 3pm and my kids had just gotten home from school. Usually I end my projects before they get home - I really like to give them my undivided attention. I was so close to finishing, I just thought I could sew the three remaining sides and be done. But all I heard while I was trying to sew those last three sides was "MOM" and "MOM" - of course, everyone needed me at that moment. So I rushed. Let's just say I didn't think. After sewing the zipper in and being so proud, I forgot to unzip the zipper before sewing the remaining three sides. Honestly that's the equivalent of sewing all four sides shut. UGH!! First I tried to get the zipper open from the wrong side. I tried that for a while...keep in mind I kept hearing "MOM"...one more minute kids...I promise. Ultimately I had to get the seam ripper out and open up the seam enough for me to get the zipper open. Then I re-sewed those seams.
Janell for giving such a great tutorial which gave me the confidence to try the zipper.
The perfect finishing touch for her chair.