Pages

Thursday, February 24, 2011

A Day in NYC

My kids are home this week for mid-winter break and I've spent the week trying to keep them entertained.  Yesterday we drove into New York city to see a broadway show.  We live thirty miles outside of the city so it's easy to do.  My husband works in the city, but the kids and I only go in a few times a year.
First stop, the Toys R Us.  It's three full floors of fun - truly a kids wonderland.
They have a huge, indoor ferris wheel in this Toys R Us.  My kids still love going on it...for the bargain price of $4.50 per ticket for the ride...it is New York City after all.  We sat in the M&M car.

So many cool things in this Toys R Us.
When my daughter was little we couldn't go anywhere near this dinosaur...way too scary for her back then.

Next we went to lunch at Planet Hollywood in Times Square.  I really felt like I was doing the tourist thing.  We usually try to not go to the tourist traps...but I let the kids chose the restaurant.  What do they know from tourist trap?
We got to Planet Hollywood at 12:15pm.  The show was at 2pm and only a block away, so this should have been plenty of time.  They said the wait would be 10 minutes....it was 25 minutes....so we were seated at 12:40pm.  A waiter did not come to the table until 12:55.  I explained that we were going to a show and that we needed to order and eat quickly.  He was very nice and said no problem, our lunch would be out within twenty minutes and he would put a rush on it.  At 1:30pm...no food yet.  Our waiter was very apologetic and said worse case scenario we could come back after the show...no, no I said, my kids need to actually eat before sitting through a 2 1/2 hour show.  At 1:40pm the food came and I have never seen my kids eat so fast.  We got to the show at 1:52...eight minutes to spare.  Not the leisurely lunch we would have liked, but at least we made it to the show.
After that lunch I needed a few laughs...and that's what we got with The Addams Family.  Nathan Lane and Bebe Neuwirth star in the show.  It was very funny.  Nathan Lane is always amazing.  We bought the tickets on Saturday and the only seats left were premium seats, so we had great seats...5th row center.

The show let out at 4:40pm and we were in the car at 4:45pm and at my kids tennis academy by 5:15pm.  My brother says a day with me is like a day with Clark Griswold from the movie Vacation...I do tend to schedule things in such a way that requires precision timing.
Don't forget the Winter Blues Wednesday party is still going on.  You can click here to join in the fun.

-Judy

10 comments:

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Judy, what a fun day out with your kiddos....despite the lunch debacle! So glad to hear about that show....I'd love to take my kids to see it (especially with Nathan Lane/Bebe Neuwirth in it!!!) Have you checked out the Museum of Natural History? It's right across the street from my sister in law's apt. and we love going there when we visit. Have a fun rest of school vaca with your kids!

Tammy @ Type A said...

my son would flip if he saw those star wars guys, Anakin is one of his faves! (until he goes all Darth Vadar...lol)

laxsupermom said...

What a fun day - minus the crazy lunch! I tend to schedule things super tight, too, then start going nuts when it looks like we might not make the start of something. We're planning on taking the kids down to the city sometime in the spring, I'll make sure to avoid the Planet Hollywood. Thanks for sharing.

Traci said...

What fun to live so close to NYC! It's on my list of places to go.

At The Picket Fence said...

What a great little excursion! My kiddos would freak out over that Toys R Us but my daughter would probably be afraid of the dinosaur too.
Sounds like you guys had a great time! :-)
Vanessa

Unknown said...

My kids love that Toys R Us too, but I've never let them do the Ferris Wheel. I always thought it would be SUPER expensive so we've never checked! I'll have to let them go on it this summer. And what a great cast for the show! Sounds awesome!! I'm headed up to the city next Tuesday w/ my mom... going to see The View!

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

What fun! That trip is definitely on my to-do list! Looks like everyone had a wonderful time! Happy weekend!...hugs...Debbie

Entertaining Women said...

Thanks for sharing your day of making memories with your kids during a day in NYC. I appreciate the follow, and I'm happy to return the kindness. Cherry Kay

Anonymous said...

Judy, I can relate, my hubby says I'm like "schedule" "police"... I do tend to schedule things in such a way that requires precision timing...I'll try and make a long story short, once at SeaWorld,Orlando, I had forgot to wear my watch, we purchased a Shamoo watch and my husband says to this day that shamoo(the killer whale watch)and my schedule(didn't want to miss any shows)ran him ragged!..that was almost 20 years ago, and he hasn't let me forget it, hehee...

Hey thanks for following and I will too.
Your comment was appreciated!!
~Jo
LazyonLoblolly

Debber-doo said...

Ahhhh I am so jealous! I have always wanted to go to NYC! hOPE YOU ENJOYED IT VERY MUCH GIRLY!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...