Pages

Monday, February 21, 2011

How to Re-caulk a Shower

Last week I shared with you my master bathroom. You can check out the entire room here.

We built this home almost twelve years ago.  From time to time some maintenance needs to be done in order to keep a home looking good.
Take my shower, for instance.  For a while now I have been noticing that the base of the shower was in need of some help.
The bottom of the shower was turning a disgusting color.  We have tried every product and we realized that the caulk was beyond cleaning at this point.
Yes, it was downright gross.  We were going to have to re-caulk.
We bought this kit from Lowe's for $5.39.
Using the tool provided in the kit I scraped back and forth and back and forth.  Things were going along fine for a while.  Some of the caulk came off right away.
Then it got to a point where the tool wasn't enough.  I had to get out the big guns...the utility knife.  Carefully, I scraped out the rest of the existing caulk.  This in combination with the tool from Lowe's worked really well.
In no time at all (an hour later) I had scraped out all of the existing caulk.  Actually the most difficult part was trying to stand back up after scraping for an hour in a squatting position.
It was time for the new caulk.  This stuff really is easy to use.
I ran a bead of caulk all the way around the base of the shower and on the corners, working one side at a time.
Then using the second tool provided in the kit, I made a perfect seam all the way around.
Now the base of the shower is like new again.  It looks so much better.  It's one of those projects that really is so easy to do and I had to ask myself why did I wait so long to tackle it.

Stop back tomorrow to see what else I did in this bathroom over the weekend.  I was really in a maintenance kind of mood.

Let me know what you think.  Have you taken on this type of project before?

-Judy

4 comments:

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Judy your shower looks brand new, don't you just love when something is freshened up. I'm going to have to go to Lowes and get that tool because my son's bathtub is in need of some caulk. The builder grouted around the edges and it is starting to chip away, my hubby said caulk will hold up much better. Looking forward to seeing what else you were up to in there. Have a great week, Martina

Mostly Food and Crafts said...

Im running out to get this stuff! SO easy and my bathroom needs a facelift

Marie C. said...

Very nice! I'm sure it feels much better walking into the room knowing that things look so clean and pretty now. :-)

René said...

I really, really need to do this. It always looks so nice once it is done.

Your shower looks great Judy.

-Rene

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...