Pages

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

How to Grout Tile

This weekend I was in maintenance mode.  Yesterday I showed you how to re-caulk a shower or bath.  Today I'm going to share with you just how easy it is to re-grout tile.
The grout in front of my shower had cracked over time and little by little a space has developed.  The first thing I did was scrape out any extra grout that was cracked.
When we built the house we asked the tile installer to leave us with some extra grout.  That way we would always have a perfect match.  Grout doesn't go bad and it takes very little to do these type of minor repairs.  Here's a tip - always ask for extra grout.  If you don't have any on hand, you can get some at a local tile store or Home Depot.  Grout does come in colors so if you are trying to match an existing grout keep that in mind.

In a container I mixed a small amount of grout with a little water.  I added a water a little at a time until the grout was the consistency of a thick brownie mix.  You don't want it too thin and you don't want it too thick.
Then I used the paint stirrer to dump the grout along the edge of the shower and the tile.
Then using a sponge or a wet paper towel, smooth out the grout.  It's that easy.
In less than five minutes, the grout looked brand new.  I gave it twenty four hours to dry before using the shower.

Hope I've inspired you to make those minor repairs.

Don't forget about the Winter Blues Wednesday party.  The link will open up tonight at 8pm EST.  Hope to see you then.

-Judy

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks great, Judy. Have you sealed the grout yet? Since it's right next to the shower where it'll get lots of moisture, be sure to seal it. I like the sealer that comes with a paint brush applicator on the top of the bottle. You just paint the sealer onto the grout.

Smart move on asking for extra grout!

laxsupermom said...

What a great idea to keep some grout for future repairs. I'm kicking myself. I just tossed the grout I used for our backsplash and could see how useful it'd be to have held on to it. Thanks for sharing.

The Single Nester said...

What a great tutorial. I am bookmarking for future reference.

Kathy said...

excellent, I need to do that, thank you for sharing

Janet said...

Thanks for sharing! I need to do that!

Blessings,
Janet

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...