Pages

Monday, April 11, 2011

Replacing a Sliding Glass Door

Sunday was a day of projects in our house.  It was our "free" day (or at least as far as the kids sporting events go).  As you know, after the winter we discovered that our sliding glass door had rotted at the bottom of the door.
There was no fixing it.

When I tried fixing it, I discovered that the rotting went all the way through. UGH!!!!  So we had to buy a new Pella door.
My husband and I are pretty handy...however we weren't really ready to tackle this project by ourselves. When we did the patio, our contractor introduced us to our handy man.  He offered to install our door...he had the two best R's...reasonable and reliable.
Within minutes of the project starting, I became even happier that we had hired someone.  As it turns out the builder neglected to wrap this part of the house.  They did wrap a portion above the sliding door...but not the sides whatsoever.  So the house had to be wrapped before the new door was to be installed.
So the house had to be wrapped before the new door was to be installed.
My husband couldn't help himself but to help the handy man with the installation.
Once everything was installed it was time to prime the door.  My parents come for dinner most Sundays. After dinner I said to my dad, "so when do you think you can help me prime the door?"  My dad is so awesome, he said "how about now".  So last night we primed.  It got too dark to do the finish coats (even with work lights it was getting hard to tell what we were painting).  He will be by in a few hours and we will finish the project.  In addition to the finish coats on the door, we still need to prime and paint the grills and the screen door frame.
So all the while the door was being installed, I was working on many other projects.  Stop back tomorrow and the rest of the week to see what else I was up to yesterday.

-Judy

27 comments:

Kara said...

awww...what an awesome Dad! Your new door looks great, and you sound just like me. While one project is drying, I'm busy on the next!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Hence the leak, I'm guessing, Judy. Unbelievable. How do you forget to wrap the door and window area? Your new door looks great {I love the peek into your yard} and I love your valances.

At The Picket Fence said...

That looks so great Judy and I loved getting another peek at your gorgeous window treatments (even though I know that wasn't the point of this post)! :-) Can't wait to see what else you have been up to!
Vanessa

Tammy @BeatriceBanks said...

Love the solid glass door! Your blessed to have a dad who can help you like that! Can't wait to see your other projects.

Judy C said...

Sometimes I think the best part of DIY is knowing when it's just too much.

KimMalk said...

How great that you have wood - we have the ugly metal ones. I'm so glad you got it repaired--what wonderful men you have in your life ;). I may need you to point me to your new mustard bird pillows, I'm going to go click on your Labels.

LBB said...

It looks so GREAT!! We have my parents over each sunday as well. I had to chuckle alittle...my dad is just the same way :) Always ready to help finish up the project!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

The new door is wonderful. How awesome to find a handy man that is for real. I can't wait to see all the new projects. Hugs, Marty

Anonymous said...

This looks wonderful, Judy.

Thanks so much for visiting the Back Porch and following. I will click to follow you, too.:-)

Anonymous said...

Looks great! Thanks for visiting my little blog ... I'm your newest follower too!
Dana @ D'Lea Designs

An Oasis in the Desert said...

I know this post is about your door, but I'm seeing is that beautiful patio. Seriously, when do we get to see more pics of that?
CAS

Kathy@ Gone North said...

Very Nice! And we are having the exact same problem. We have to replace 2 sliding doors, the one on the main level & the one just below.
I am thinking french doors this time.
Did it really just take one day?? Here's hoping for me.
And very lovely backyard, BTW.

Bonnie@ The Hopeless Romantic said...

LOL, Im busted, i was lurking yesterday. I really love the doors, and im all for the hiring people thing....sometimes the end result is better and we dont end up hiring someone anyway,if ya know what i mean. Thanks for stopping by............Bonnie

Unknown said...

Excellent stuff with wonderful information! I'm new here and loving the post! Thanks for sharing this great info!

Chevrolet Auto Glass

Glass Doors said...

An excellent DIY reference for serious home designer and artisan. Thanks for your blog.

Milliscent Morgan said...

Apparently I like this post of Interior Glass Doors. Thanks!

Gratia Latin said...

It looks so GREAT!! I like this post. Thanks!

Windows Doors Replacement

Anonymous said...

Learn how to replace the rollers on your sliding glass door.

Rolling Gate Repairs The Bronx

Unknown said...

That was a hardworking Interior Glass Doors undertaking. Regarding the replacement of this door did you repainted it white paint and what kind of paint?

Unknown said...

Great article. It can be a little chilly near your glass sliding doors during our Midwest winters, so here are three things that could help warm things up a bit.

Danielle Bailey said...

I think you made the right decision to let a professional handyman do this glass door replacement, even though you’re pretty handy with this kind of project. It can save you time and energy. He did a good job in the installation. +Danielle Bailey

Unknown said...

I think the rainwater is the main reason of the rotting of your door. But I wonder why it's rotting from inside. Anyhow, it's a good thing that you replaced the entire door. It's the best solution for that. Make sure the door is sealed properly to keep rainwater from getting inside. Or, it would be best if you will install an overhang there. -A & B Siding & Roofing

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Replacing your sliding door was a good idea. If it was rotten, it would have swollen soon. And if that happened, you would have a hard time closing it as it would friction with the flooring. Thus it would lead to another repair.

Leah @VanderlaanHomeImprovement.com

Unknown said...

Very good replacing Sliding Glass Doors

Home Windows said...

Personally I was looking for some general information about replacing sliding glass doors and your post was just perfect.Hope that you will continue to do posting.

Universal Windows Las Vegas
Sliding Glass Doors
Sliding Windows

Superstar Handyman Singapore said...

Thank you. I really appreciate your time effort and information.


Glass sliding door repair Singapore

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...