Pages

Monday, January 9, 2012

Decorating with Plates

I have been wanting to decorate with plates for a while now.  Each time I would see a photo of a room with plates on the wall I would think...I have to do this in my dining room.  
Just before Christmas I found these gorgeous plates from Home Goods for only $2.99 each.

It was love at first sight when I saw these.  I would have bought the complete set to use as a second set of dinnerware, however, the only thing left was six salad plates (I asked the salesperson and she said she had only put these dishes out a few hours before and this was all that was left).  I was disappointed at first, but then I realized these would be the perfect plates to hang in my dining room.

In my dining room I have a sunburst mirror over my buffet.  I love the mirror but have always felt it needed something more to give it more presence.  It seemed too small above the large buffet.
 I figured out how far apart I wanted the plates and then, using my favorite tool, marked the spots.  This tool is awesome for hanging pictures.  It has a built in level too.

Voila! 

I love my new plates.


What do you think?  I always love and appreciate your comments.

Don't forget I have a $200 MirrorMate Frames giveaway going on right now.  
You can click here to enter.
-Judy

22 comments:

Katie @ Wildwood Creek said...

Beautiful! Adding the plates with the mirror makes the space look balanced and polished.

Debbiedoos said...

Looks pretty Judy. I love decorating with plates too, they add so much beauty to a wall!~

mary beth said...

Great job! Those pretties add so much drama to your mirror! I love decorating with plates too and have a stack waiting for me to get busy and put them up...some of them are waiting for hangers. I love how you can find them cheap at HG and TJMaxx and thrift stores! thanks for sharing yours.

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

That looks beautiful Judy!!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Very pretty, Judy, and a great way to use plates you like but can't use in the conventional sense {especially if they sell out!}. My hubby bought me that tool! I'm glad to hear you like it. Of course, he bought it after I already hung everything, but I'm sure it will come in handy. : )

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh I love your plates, they look fabulous. The brown transferware is my favorite of all. I really does finish off that area beautifully. Hugs, Marty

laxsupermom said...

They look terrific! Did you use the dischangers to hang them or something else? I just love finding things at HomeGoods. The dishes are beautiful, and I probably would have snagged them, too. Thanks for sharing.

Traci said...

Love!!! It looks fantastic. I wish we had a Home Goods here.

LifeLessOrdinary said...

I love decorative plates too! Yours are NICE. Good idea..hanging them over the buffet in your dining room :)

dee dee said...

The plates add just the right amount of spark to your dining room! Great balance on the wall!
dee dee

Lorna said...

Those are gorgeous, I love how they had that special touch.

Goldie said...

Those look great over your buffet!

Gina said...

The plates are so pretty & I think they look beautiful with the mirror. They are a nice addition to your dining room.

Susan Anderson said...

Those are very similar to the plates I use, Spode British Flowers.

I love them!

=)

At The Picket Fence said...

Those look so beautiful Judy! They were the perfect way to add that extra special touch to the wall! :-)
Vanessa

Jan@southernjunkin' said...

Just added the finishing touch!! Don't you just love Home Goods? I could spend hours there!!

designchic said...

The perfect spot for these beautiful plates...love them!!

Shannon@Cozy Home Scenes said...

Judy, I think your plates look beautiful and not just because I have the same ones. I was not able to get cups and saucers but maybe they will have them sometime. If not, I now see how pretty they look on a wall. -- Shannon

HG Insider said...

Hi Judy, the plates look great! You've made them fresh by pairing them with that cool mirror and bold wall color. Nice! Thanks for the shout out. HomeGoods

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

I love the pattern and color on your plates and the way theywork with the mirror and balance out the size of the buffet. Really pretty Judy! Thanks for sharing!

Loribeth said...

They look great!!!! I can see why it was love at first sight.

What is that tool? I want one!!!

Be Colorful Coastal said...

I have these same dishes and like you I haven't been able to compile a full set but they mix and match wonderfully with my off white every day dishes. I got mine at TJ Maxx at various times so every time I am there I look to see if they have any more. I like your idea of hanging them and if you ever get enough to serve with you can replace your wall dishes with something else. Thanks for sharing your inspiration on Motivated Monday at BeColorful

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...