Pages

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Italian Wedding Soup

Baby it's cold outside...which means it's a perfect time to start making some soup.  One of my family's favorite soups is Italian Wedding Soup.  It's super easy to make and always a crowd pleaser.

Here's the recipe:
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 bay leaves, fried or dried
salt and pepper
1 pound ground beef
1 egg beaten
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or Romano cheese
1/2 cup bread crumbs
6 cups chicken stock or broth
2 cups water
1 1/2 cups dried pasta (rings, ditalini, broken fettuccini - something small)
1 pound triple washed fresh spinach, coarsley chopped

In a deep pot over medium heat add oil, chopped carrots, celery and onions and bay leaves.  Season with salt and pepper.  Cover pot and cook veggies 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
While the veggies cook, combine the meat, egg, garlic, grated cheese, bread crumbs, salt and pepper.  Roll them into mini meatballs.
Uncover your soup pot and add broth and water to the pot.  Increase heat to high and bring soup to a boil.  When soup boils, reduce heat a bit and start to drop mini meatballs into the pot.
After all the meatballs are added, add the pasta to the soup and stir.  Cover and simmer soup 10 minutes. When pasta is tender, stir in chopped spinach in batches.  When spinach has wilted into the soup, the soup is done and is ready to serve.

As I made the soup last night for dinner I realized that we were out of spinach,
so this was made without the spinach.  Still delicious.
Hope you will try the soup.
Don't forget to stop back tonight at 8pm EST for my Winter Blues Wednesday party.
 Hope to see you then.
-Judy
Sharing this recipe over at Shine Your Light

10 comments:

Gina said...

Oh yum! One of the many comfort foods from my childhood. My Mom still makes this today & calls all of us over to eat it. I've never tried to make it, but I think I will give it a try, since you've got an actual recipe to follow. (When I ask my mother how much to put in of some ingredient, she answers "enough". Geez, thanks Mom! lol)

Debbiedoos said...

Oh boy this is good stuff. My Aunt used to make this when I was a kid, and how much I LOVED IT! I have never made it...great recipe Judy!

Jan@southernjunkin' said...

Yummy! I love soups on cold wintery days! I've never made this and thanks for sharing the recipe!
Drop by soon...gift-away going on!!
www.southernjunkin.blogspot.com

Blessings!!

Shannon said...

Wow, that soup looks awesome - I have already printed it off to try for myself!

Susan Anderson said...

One of my favorites is Italian Wedding Soup!

=)

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

Hi Judy,

My favorite soup! Yum!!!

Dee

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

I'll definitely try this! We love soup, thanks for sharing. Martina

Shannon@Cozy Home Scenes said...

I think I can almost smell all that goodness from your soup. We eat soup quite often so this will be a good recipe to add to my collection. -----------Shannon

Maria Elena said...

Judy, thank you so much for sharing this recipe. It is my daughter's favorite and I will sure try it as soon as I get all the ingredients.
Great recipe!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh, this sounds soooooooooooo good. I really need to make this one. Thanks. Hugs, Marty

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...