Pages

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Beautify and Protect All At The Same Time

A few months ago I found a desk on Craigslist that I transformed for my daughter's room.  
You can check out that project here.
I painted the desk using Annie Sloan Old White chalk paint and then waxed it using a clear wax.  
However each time my daughter did her homework, pencil seemed to get on the desk.  
She was tired of having to be so careful and I was tired of cleaning the desk each day.  
My solution...a clear acrylic sheet I bought at Lowes.  
Since it's my daughter's desk, I felt safer using the acrylic sheet rather than having 
a piece of glass cut for the top of the desk.
The sheet measured 48"x24".  
The desk top measures 42" x 18".  
Using a square and a white board marker, I outlined the desk top measurement.

After I traced the dimensions, I laid it on top of the desk just to check my measurements.
Measure twice...cut once.
Using a plastic cutter and a straight edge, I scored the acrylic sheet and cut it to size.
 Then using several sheets of scrapbook paper, I made a pattern 
on the desk and laid the acrylic sheet over it.
Isn't it pretty?   Pretty and protected...the perfect combo.
If she gets tired of the scrapbook paper, I can change it out for other paper or even fabric.

Can't wait to hear what you think.

Don't forget that the Bunny Blog Hop is still going strong.  There's an awesome giveaway associated with that party.  Hope you will join the hop!  You can click HERE to join the hop.

-Judy

20 comments:

Mel said...

very clever idea and so easy to change.

I've never heard of a plastic cutter before. I hope you will share more of how that works on the acrylic sheet (or am I just being dense? lol)

Debbiedoos said...

I think that was a genius idea. Very pretty too!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I love your solution, Judy! I had no idea they made a plastic cutter. This is one of the things I love about blogging ~ you learn something new everyday!

Gina said...

That is a great solution and the scrapbook paper makes it look pretty!

ANNE said...

What a pretty idea!

At The Picket Fence said...

I love that Judy! It looks so perfect and you can't beat being functional and pretty! :-)
Vanessa

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Love it. How clever is that. Perfect solution for the desk top. I really like the paper too. Hugs, Marty

Susan Anderson said...

Good solutions!

=)

LifeLessOrdinary said...

I have an antique desk with a acrylic top too and, you're right, it makes a world of difference when you USE your desk every day. I love the choice of scrapbook paper under the acrylic sheet...so pretty!

AntiqueChase said...

Are you reading my mind? I need something like this and what a great solution. Can I ask how pricey the acrylic was??

Patsy said...

Great idea, looks gorgeous.

Rose @ Walnut Acre said...

What a cute idea!

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

What a great idea - looks lovely!

scrapfancy said...

Great idea and very pretty. Thanks for sharing.

SheilaG @ Plum Doodles said...

Such a clever solution! I had no idea that acrylic was that easy to cut. The scrapbook paper is a fun addition.

Desire Empire said...

Thanks in advance for the feature Judy.

Have a blessed and safe Easter with your family.
Carolyn

Mrs. Handyverger said...

Judy, I love the look of the pastel papers on top of the desk! Acrylic does seem much safer than glass, and how much easier was that than having glass cut to fit? ;)

Tablescapes By Diane said...

Hi lovely lady.
What a pretty idea you came up with!
Thanks so much for your sweet comment on my Easter Tablescape. I hope you have a wonderful Easter with your family.
XXOO Diane

Cyndi ✪ Blue Star said...

What a cleaver idea for the desk! That's a keeper!

Cynthia said...

I love it it is a great solution!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...