Pages

Friday, August 24, 2012

Conquering Fear

We are in Cape Cod this week and have been enjoying a wonderful vacation.  Our Cape Cod vacations usually consist of tennis, beach and dining each day.  Very fun and very relaxing.  However, yesterday we did something a bit different - we went parasailing.  I can honestly say that I have never had any real desire to go parasailing.  My husband has been talking about it for months.  He wanted to take my fifteen year old son when we were in the Caribbean earlier this summer, but it just didn't work out.  Well, it worked out here.  Like I said, I had no intention of going parasailing.  My son and my husband were very excited.  My twelve year old daughter was another story - I think she really did want to go, but was just afraid.  One of the many mottos I have with my kids is to never have fear hold you back from doing something you want to do.  So I made my daughter a deal.   If she wanted to go, I would go up with her and we would conquer our fear together.  

 My husband and son went first.  The worst part was the anticipation before it was our turn.  Once my son and husband landed safely, my daughter and I went and sat on the back of the boat and they clipped us onto the bar.
 Then you just start flying away from the boat.  No warning...no are you ready...no one, two, three, go...you just take off.
It's the weirdest, coolest sensation.  You fly 500 feet above the water.  When you're in the boat waiting, it's windy and a bit loud with the engine roaring.  When you're up in the air it's almost silent.  My daughter and I were up there talking the whole time.  We each were holding onto to the straps like it was a life line.  Halfway through the ride my daughter asked me if I thought we were supposed to hold on this tight.  Her arms were shaking and hurting (as were mine).  She got brave first and let go with one hand to wave.  Then I tried too.  We could see everything from up there.  We are here with my brother-in-law and his family and we could see them jet skiing below us.
It was a very beautiful view of Cape Cod.
It's a super gentle ride.  There were some parts where the wind pushed us a little, but mostly it was very calm.  I looked over at my daughter a few times, but that was when I discovered just how high we were.  I also realized around that time that I had forgotten to take off my sunglasses.  As it turned out that was okay.  Nothing happened to them.  

As fun as it was, we both were very happy when they started to pull us back in.
Today we will be back at the beach just relaxing! :)

What fears have you conquered lately?
Have a great weekend.
-Judy
Pin It

10 comments:

office furniture said...

This post is so informative and makes a very nice image on the topic in my mind. It is the first time I visit your blog, but I was extremely impressed. Keep posting as I am gonna come to read it everyday!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Kudos to you and your daughter, Judy! I have a fear of heights and can't even imagine doing that. I would have been holding on tight and sweating horribly. Good for you and for setting that example for your daughter.

Susan Anderson said...

I've been parasailing, too. It was a great experience, but I think once was enough for me...

=)

Debbiedoos said...

WOW that is awesome Judy! Have fun, how exciting for you and your daughter!

NanaDiana said...

Good for you- What a wonderful thing to do for/with your daughter- It is something you will never forget. Hope you have a wonderful rest of the vacation. xo Diana

At The Picket Fence said...

Judy you rock! I think it is just wonderful that you and your daughter conquered your fears together and made a wonderful memory in the process! :-)
Vanessa

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

What a fun experience, Judy!! Where did you do that at the Cape? My kids would love this!
Hope you enjoy the rest of your vacation!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Bravo!!..you did it..and now you can cross it off your list...My hubby did that in Cancun years ago...he loved it...I stayed on the ground and took pictures! :)
But, I do want to someday go up in a hot air balloon!
Glad your family had a wonderful time in the air!!

Traci said...

I would like to go parasailing. I'm a little scared but I think I would love it.

office furniture indore said...

All the contents you mentioned in post is too good and can be very useful. I will keep it in mind, thanks for sharing the information keep updating, looking forward for more posts. Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...