Pages

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Floor Lamp Makeover

The floor lamp in our basement has gone through so many transformations.  Originally it was a yellow and cream lamp many years ago when my mom bought it.  Then I painted it white when my son was born and used it in his nursery.  Then I painted it oil rubbed bronze a year or so ago.  

I actually love the lamp this way, however, I am trying to add some color to the basement and not have just a sea of brown anymore.  I thought painting the lamp would be the first step in adding some color.
I saw these candlesticks and was inspired to paint the lamp in similar colors.
So with my inspiration photo in hand, I started to paint the lamp using Annie Sloan chalk paint in Duck Egg and Old White.  I haven't done a chalk paint project in a while. 
 I forgot how easy it is to use this paint.
I just sort of made it up as I went along.
After the paint had dried, I used the clear wax first, followed by the dark wax.
I distressed it a bit by rubbing and buffing the wax with a soft cloth.


Here is what the lamp looks like now.
Something didn't look exactly right.
I tied a blue and brown ribbon to the bottom of the lampshade and I think it ties it into the lamp much better (no pun intended).  What do you think?

I can't wait to hear.
-Judy
Pin It

14 comments:

Courtenay@Creek Line House said...

It looks fantastic! I never would have thought to paint it like that, but it really does make a difference in the space.

ANNE said...

It looks fabulous in that colour but I wonder if maybe the lampshade is too big and that's why you got the feeling it didn't look right??

Looks great though! xox

Debbiedoos said...

I am all about lamp makeovers Judy! Loving it!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Love the new color, how fun is that and you picked great colors. The shade looks amazing now. Hugs, Marty

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Great colors, Judy! That is one of my favorite paint color combos with the chalk paint.

Gina said...

The makeover turned out great! Awesome color choice too.

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

I love the color and the ribbon...

kudos!

Annesphamily said...

The colors are really wonderful. I am glad to see your new lamp! How do you recover your lampshade? I like it! You are quite talented! Great share!

Beth said...

It looks very chic now! Such a great color combo. For something that's not very big, it looks kind of tedious to paint! Great job!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Looks very chic!!!....Just love what you did...truly a great improvement.

Have a great weekend!

Kara at Petals to Picots said...

It came out great!

Pondside said...

Definitely, the ribbon was the right touch. Great job!

Jenny said...

Love the color! Love the ribbon!

I had a table like that and I took it to Goodwill.

Darn!

I wish I would have read about this inKredible makeover several years ago!

Thanks for sharing!

A+

Unknown said...


U hoeft niet om een professionele decorateur om pro designer stijl krijgen thuis. Probeer niet te hard te evenaren alle andere meubels - een enkele afwerking of kleur is genoeg. Of voor een speelse look, kiezen voor een botsende kleur die knalt! Het is de perfecte conversatie starter voor een zitkamer of woonkamer. Om deze reden dat ik graag ontwerp vloer lamp voor mijn woonkamer of kantoor ruimte. krijgen industriële moderne lamp voor uw huis of kantoor atModerne vloerlamp design Nederland

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...