Pages

Monday, October 17, 2011

Pumpkin Picking/Can Anyone Identify This

Yesterday was the perfect Fall day.  It wasn't too cold, but had just enough of a breeze to let you know that Halloween is just around the corner.   About an hour drive from our home is apple picking and pumpkin picking heaven.  Each year we meet up with extended family at the same place for a day of Fall fun.
First we took a hayride out to the pumpkin patch.  The place was packed with people...obviously we weren't the only ones with the idea that it was a perfect day to pick pumpkins.
After a short hayride, we were dropped off at the pumpkin patch.  Now to find the perfect pumpkin.  
Instead of taking the hayride back, we decided to go back through the corn stalk maze.  So much fun!
I loved this spider web.

The day wouldn't be complete without the pig races.
Here are some of the little piggy's that raced.
Here is Momma Piggy - Big Momma!
It was a great day...to make it even better we bought one of their homemade apple pies for dessert last night.  It is a tradition as well each year.  They truly make the best pies I have ever tasted.

Now onto the second part of my post...
  Early yesterday morning I looked outside and saw something fly by my window with the hugest wing span I had ever seen.  
It then landed in my backyard and I ran and grabbed my camera and snapped this picture.  
Can anyone identify what kind of bird this is?

Have a great day!
-Judy

16 comments:

Mel said...

Looks to be a heron, maybe a great blue?

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I'm thinking heron as well, Judy. I had one of those come and land on the roof of our pool house on Long Island one year. Most amazing thing I ever saw up close, but I never had time to grab my camera. It was the one and only time I ever saw it in our 21 years there.

Pumpkins and hayrides were a big thing yesterday here in Ohio. We hit the Renaissance Fair instead, but I'm going to a pumpkin patch with my daughter and the granddaughter today. I always enjoyed picking pumpkins with our kids when they were younger.

Jean @ Flower Hill said...

Yesterday was a beautiful fall day here too! That bird is amazing! I have never personally seen anything like it, but I'm going to jump on the bandwagon and say it looks like a heron too. Hope you enjoyed your day!

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Yes, it is a Great Blue Heron...

Debbiedoos said...

That is a heron, we have seen them I believe on the Lake on occasion. Simply beautiful. Glad you had a great day Judy!

Jenny @ Simcoe Street said...

I see others answered -- it is a Great Blue Heron. Amazing birds!

Jenny
www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Blue Heron. They are regulars in my area. My son especially loves the white herons and everytime we see one hunting for bugs and worms in our yard, someone will say, "Hey, Friend is back." (We act like it is the same bird back visiting us!! Yes, I know, lame. But whatcha going to do? lol

Glad to see that you didn't get lost in that corn maze. You wouldn't have had to call 911!!!lol;)

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Herons are not particularly welcome at our house. They eat the fish out of our little backyard pond. That makes us sad!

Susan Anderson said...

Can't believe you have a heron flying by your window! Sheesh. Where do you live? Paradise??

;)

Loribeth said...

Oh! That's definitely a Great Blue Heron. If you believe in signs, it's a very lucky one that it landed in your yard. It means something that you're waiting for is going to happen, but you have to be patient.
I had one land on the top of garage at my old house. I got a picture of it, but had to take it through a screen window, so it didn't turn out very good.

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

That is one beautiful 'BIG' bird.

Oh how I love going to the pumpkin patch.
The pigs are just too cute.

Dee

Anonymous said...

what a great day you had,, I have never ever saw a pig race before,, I agree heron, at first I thought sand hill crane but no heron, thankyou for visiting and I LIKE the way you think!!

Jennifer Juniper said...

I'm guessing a great blue heron like the others have said. I have a friend with goldfish in her water feature and the herons stand in it and eat the fish!

Anonymous said...

Hi There.
We call it a crane! They are sort of prehistoric looking aren't they? :)
We have many hanging around the rivers.
Rosemary...

KAREN said...

HI! YOU HAVE A YOUNG GREAT BLUE HERON!! ISN'T HE PRETTY?

the 2 muses said...

They always remind me dinosaurs!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...