Pages

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Trash to Really Cute Treasure

This is one of my most dramatic trash to treasure makeovers so far.  My sister-in-law had saved a rocking chair from when she was a child.  The chair was broken and in many pieces.
She wanted me to see what I could do with it so that her 2 year old daughter could have it for her room.
First things first - I called my dad and asked for help in putting Humpty Dumpty back together again.  First step was to give the chair a good sanding.
Next step was to use a deglosser to remove the shiny finish on the chair.
Then using wood glue, each spindle was glued into the base of the chair.
Now that the chair was repaired and sturdy, it was my turn to start making it pretty.
I started by spraying several coats of white primer onto the chair and then white spray paint.
Then using craft paint I started to paint.  I had a basic idea as to what I wanted to do, but it evolved over the six hours I spent painting it.  

Some stripes here...some dots there...I was going for whimsical.

For the seat I used my Silhouette machine and created a stencil using scrapbook paper.
Then using petal pink paint I began stenciling.
I stenciled the center and then lined up the pattern to continue over the entire seat.
Again, using my Silhouette machine, I cut out my niece's name out of pink vinyl.
Here are some shots of the finished rocker.

How sweet for a little girl's room.
I can't wait until she sees it in person!
I'm looking forward to hearing what you think.

Don't forget to stop back tonight for my Fall into Fall party.  The link opens at 8pm EST.
Hope to see you there.

-Judy

30 comments:

Mariaelena said...

That is one of the GREATEST "trash to treasures" of all time!!!....You did a fabulous job!!...I'm sure she will love that chair forever....Mariaelena

Debbiedoos said...

That is adorable. I love it. Imagine what a chair like that would cost to buy? You did a great job Judy!

Katie @ Wildwood Creek said...

A beautiful labor of love!

Unknown said...

No if ands or buts....this is your MOST AMAZING transformation to date!!! OMG. Absolutely beautiful. THe best part is that it will be staying in your family and you will get to see it all the time. What a treasure. Congrats.

Rhonda said...

What a wonderful treasure she will have forever! I love painting children's furniture, the sky is the limit, you did a wonderful job, love the colors!

Jenny @ Simcoe Street said...

This is just incredible!

Jenny
www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

Kristin @ Chi-Chi Studio Designs said...

Wow! What a makeover! Found you through Homemaker on a Dime...we definitely enjoy the same kind of makeovers!

Jan@southernjunkin' said...

Beautiful transformation! I love the whimsy! I know a little one will treasure it forever! Thanks for sharing your trash to treasure!!

Gina said...

Oh wow Judy...this is so cute! The time spent painting was worth it in the end. Super job!

Sue@Uniquely Chic said...

Oh I love this...it turned out so sweet!

Unknown said...

So pretty! Like night and day. You did a great job!

The Magnolia House said...

Great job! I love the pink vinyl lettering. That adds such a professional touch to your beautiful artwork!

Little City Farm said...

Seriously? That is so awesome. I cannot believe this transformation.

Pam@OurAdventuresInHomeImprovement said...

Great job Judi! I love how you transformed it and I'm sure Alexis will love it too!!

Have a great day.
Pam

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

OMG Judy that rocker looks AMAZING!! Your niece is going to love it! Great job, Martina

*Shabby LOCO!* said...

Soooo cute! Hey, I have a couple of these chairs at my house right now...Do you travel?? hehheheeh =)
Great Job!
~Melissa

Just Jaime said...

WOW! What a transformation!

Susan Anderson said...

I can't help it. You make me jealous.

Seriously.

"/

Poppy @ With a Dash of Color said...

Oh my, such a lovely transformation!The colors are soooo pretty, perfect for a little girl's room. Beautiful job, Judy! This is an amazing "Trash to Treasure"Thanks for letting us take a peek.~Poppy

http://withadashofcolor.blogspot.com/

At The Picket Fence said...

That is seriously adorable Judy!! You transformed it into an heirloom that will continue to be passed down. Well done my friend!
Vanessa

Teresa@magazineyourhome said...

Oh my gosh, it's adorable!!! You were going for whimsical and you totally succeeded.

Cynthia said...

This is so sweet! You must have a lot of patience for all that detail work.

Catie @ Catie's Corner said...

OMG, that is soo sweet! What an amazing transformation. I'll be Alexis will just love it. What little girl wouldn't?

~ Catie

Ashley said...

turned out amazing!!!
http://jaysonandashley.blogspot.com/

Babblings and More said...

WoW! That is amazing! I am your newest follower!
Brooke from babblingsandmore.blogspot.com

Artsy VaVa said...

That doesn't even look like the same chair! You did a wonderful job! Thanks for sharing.

Pamela said...

Oh she will just love that Judy!! Super cute!!

Modern Country Lady said...

You did a fabulous job, Judy ( found you on " Miss Mustard seed - and clicked " like" as I really love what you did) So much work!!So cute. And it's such a nice thing to pass this on to famikly, so it's super special as well!!
Much love
Bea

Lindsay said...

This is incredible! I am SO impressed by the amount of detail you added. Totally made this piece look brand new! Thanks for sharing at Show & Share! I am glad you linked up!

Be Colorful Coastal said...

This is so amazing. The soft colors are so so pretty and that seat idea is spectacular. Love love love it. Thanks for linking up to Motivated Monday at BeColorful
Pam

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...