Pages

Thursday, October 27, 2011

This Recipe You Have To Try

I don't post recipes that often, but this one is a keeper.  My husband is always looking for new recipes.  He came across this one on his way to Sweden a few weeks ago while reading the New York Times on his nook.
This recipe brings pork to a whole new level.  
It is a little labor intensive, but the end result is so worth the effort. 

Pork Katsu with Pickled Cucumbers and Shiso
1/2 pound small Kirby cucumbers sliced into 1/4 inch thick rounds
1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
1 1/4 teaspoons sugar
8 thin boneless pork medallions
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons Worcestershire
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 cups panko crumbs
1/2 cup flour
Black pepper
Peanut or vegetable oil for frying
2 tablespoons sliced scallions
2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon minced shiso or basil (we couldn't find shiso in our supermarket but the basil worked fine)
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil

1. Toss the cucumbers with 1 teaspoon sale and 3/4 teaspoon sugar
2. Place each piece of pork between sheets of waxed paper and pound meat to 1/8 inch thickness
3. Place eggs in a large shallow bowl; whisk in the Worcestershire and tomato paste.  Place the panko and flour in two separate shallow bowls.
4. Season cutlets with salt and pepper.  Dip each cutlet in the flour (tap off excess), the egg mixture (tap off the excess), then dredge in panko crumbs.
5. Heat a large saute pan, pour in 1/8 inch of oil.  Working in batches put cutlets in the skillet.  Immediately shake and tile the pan so that the oil rolls over the pork in waves.  Shake the pan occasionally until cutlets are golden on the bottom, about 3 minutes.  Flip cutlets and shake pan again.   Cook 2 to 3 minutes longer.  Put pork on a paper towel-lined platter to drain.


6. Pat the cucumbers dry with paper towels.  Toss with scallions, vinegar, shiso, soy sauce, sesame oil and 1/2 teaspoon sugar.  Serve cutlets with pickled cucumbers.


As a side dish, my 14 year old son made homemade fried rice.

My husband made a wasabi sauce as a dipping sauce for the pork.

I hope you will try this recipe.  It's really amazing.
Have a great day!

-Judy

10 comments:

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Mmmm Judy that sounds so different (for our house) and yummy! Thanks for sharing. I'm impressed that your son makes fried rice!

Unknown said...

I love to cook and this one sounds like a keeper. Thanks for sharing

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Sounds fabulous. I love pork so I will give it a try. Love fried rice too. Hugs, Marty

Unknown said...

Oh! That wasabi dipping sauce looks amazing.

Brooke @ Inside-Out Design said...

This looks amazing!! I will have to try this- my husband would be in heaven! (especially after the boring meal I made last night.)

Shannon @FairfaceWashcloths said...

Mmmm. Your recipe sounds really good. I'm always looking for new ways to eat pork! Thanks for the recipe!
shannonsews.blogspot.com

Susan Anderson said...

This is a dish that my husband and one son really love. I'll have to give it a go.

=)

debbie--http://refreshrestyle.com/ said...

That looks so good! I hope I'll try it, I don't really like to cook...but I could make an exception for this :)
Debbie

At The Picket Fence said...

That sounds so yummy Judy! My hubby loves wasabi so this would be right up his alley! :-)
Vanessa

Gina said...

That looks & sounds delicious...thanks for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...