Pages

Monday, October 31, 2011

It's a Different Kinda Halloween This Year

Happy Halloween!  
I live in New York, and for the first time that I can remember, it's going to be a white Halloween.
Here is our Halloween Snowman.  Saturday morning started out like any other Fall day.  We heard there was a storm coming, so we decided it was time to put away all of the outdoor furniture.  Bright and early we put everything away.  Literally as we put the last item into the shed, the snow began.  It snowed heavy, wet snow.  Great packing snow.  But it's only October.  The leaves are still on the trees.  In case you ever wondered why the leaves fall off the trees before the winter, it became crystal clear during this storm.  The trees with leaves held this snow and it caused the tree branches to snap from the weight.  While we were outside building our Halloween snowman we kept hearing what sounded like gun-shots.  It was all of the trees in the neighborhood snapping and falling.  Trees fell everywhere and we have been without power for a while now (I am actually at my parents writing this post).  
Look at the devastation in my parent's backyard.  
Yep...that's right over the roof of their sunroom.  It's still hanging there as of now.  The tree people were supposed to come today to assess the damage, but never made it out.  
Well, this is the craziest Halloween weather we have ever had!  

Hope you all have a safe, fun Halloween.  
-Judy

17 comments:

Sonny G said...

Judy,

your weather is amazing. a snow man so early in the season..wow

Happy Halloween to Ya'll
Sonny

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing the images. I know this is a real bummer for you right now, but I can't help but really enjoy all the beautiful snow images that many northern bloggers are sharing on their blogs. Breathtaking beauty.

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Judy, I saw photos like these on the news. The weather is just incredible these days! You just never know what you'll get, especially here! Hope you and your parents are able to salvage those pretty trees! Stay warm!

Gina said...

It will definitely be a Halloween for your kids to remember! (I remember one Halloween as a kid when it did snow.)

Jean @ Flower Hill said...

Isn't this weather crazy?! I live in NY too and can never remember a Halloween with snow! I'm not sure what part you're in, but it seems you got a bit more than we did. Snow came just a little too early for me!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I can't believe that, Judy! I keep up with the local paper online and read about accidents from icy roads. It's just crazy that it snowed before Halloween. Hopefully, it will melt quickly.

Linda Jordan said...

Wow, you got a lot! I can't believe how early the snow came either. Here in NYC there wasn't enough to make a snowman, but there is definitely snow on the ground...especially in central park!!

Happy Halloween :)
Linda
http://lasteve1.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Omgoodness!
I'm so glad you have somewhere to go with power.
Stay warm and safe,
Tam

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Judy this was crazy! I love the winter but this was way to soon! We had gotten 11 inches but a lot of it melted yesterday. A lot of tree damage here too. I hope the tree people come to your parents before that limb causes damage!

Unknown said...

So hoping that things get a bit easier for you really soon.

Happy Hallowe'en-at least you are well stocked with chocolate 8-)

Quirky Homemaker said...

Yep, you're right! That's exactly why the trees lose their leaves! It looks more like Christmas than Halloween. Thanks for visiting my blog a couple weeks ago. I'm following you back, now! Stay warm and have a Happy Halloween!
Michelle
Making It from Page to Table

At The Picket Fence said...

Oh my goodness Judy! We had heard about all of the crazy weather you guys were getting but it didn't even cross my mind what would happen with the leaves still on the trees! I'm glad you all are safe and pray that everything will be back to normal soon. Stay warm my friend! :-)
Vanessa

Susan Anderson said...

Wow.

A Halloween snowman. Now that's a different kinda Halloween, all right!

=)

PS. Hope your parents' won't have any damage from those snapped limbs.

Moore Minutes said...

WOW!! That is a Halloween scene I've never seen before lol. FUN snowman!

Debbiedoos said...

I actually saw this on the news...stay safe Judy!

Calypso In The Country said...

Isn't this insane?!! Here in NJ, we lost power from Saturday at 1:00 till this morning. Trees are distroyed everywhere. I posted about it earlier today. I guess everyone in the tri state area was affected! Stay warm - oh and Happy Halloween!
-Shelley

Shannon @FairfaceWashcloths said...

Wow! I'm glad you are safe and sound, braving the snow in NY! I just got your message that you're featuring my shag heart pillow tomorrow. I'm so excited about that! Thank you so much. You just made my night. Try to stay warm and safe!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...