Pages

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Reinventing Furniture

It's always fun to reinvent a piece of furniture.  We have a "window seat" with storage that we had sitting at the foot of the stairs of our finished basement.  
It was a custom made window seat for my son's nursery when we lived in our townhouse (my son is 15 years old now).  My husband has never been a big fan of the white formica in the basement.  It really doesn't go with anything else downstairs and looks a bit out of place.  I'm also not thrilled with it being at the bottom of the stairs.  No one ever sits there and it is making the foot of the stairs seem small, which it really isn't.  

Next to the wall I just stenciled, is my old kitchen table.  In an effort for my basement not to start to look like the room where no longer used furniture goes to die, I thought it would be good if I moved the window seat over to this wall and created banquette seating behind the table.  I will add a few more chairs and make it a game table.
The window seat is HEAVY so I had to take out my "best friends" in furniture moving.
I had a few rolls of contact paper left over from the makeover I did on my husband's closet.
I started covering the window seat with the contact paper.
When I was done with the door fronts, I decided it would look better if I covered the entire piece.

So that's what I did.  For now I just put the cushion wrapped in a drop cloth back on the seat.  The pillows are from my outdoor furniture and are only temporarily here as well.
I'll be looking for an awesome fabric for the seat cushion and the pillows.
Maybe something like this from Calico Corners.  The brown fabric looks like the contact paper and I love the idea of bringing in more blue.    
I sharpened the photo to try to give you a better idea of the detail of the paper.
I like the look.  If I decide at any point that I don't like it, it's easy to remove.
Once I get the fabrics worked out I will show you it with the table and chairs (the chairs I need to find - although there are a few chairs in the attic I may consider using).  Stay tuned.

Can't wait to hear what you think!


Don't forget there's still time to enter my Cutting Edge Stencil giveaway.

-Judy
Pin It

5 comments:

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Great idea to make that a game table area, Judy. I like how you changed up the look of the bench. The bench with your table {and the additional chairs} will make that a nice functional space.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

I love this idea, it looks fabulous. What a great idea for a game table. Can't wait to see the new fabric too. Hugs, Marty

Gail said...

That looks great Judy!

Gina said...

Oh it looks great! Amazing how contact paper changed the whole look. Super ide!

Mrs. B said...

This looks great, I love how you are "repurposing" the bench too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...