Pages

Friday, January 28, 2011

From Shared Bath to Boy's Bath

My kids rooms are connected by a Jack and Jill bathroom.  When my daughter decided she wanted her own bathroom a few months ago, we had her "take over" the guest bathroom.  You can check out her new bathroom here.  This is what I did to the Jack and Jill bathroom when we first moved in:

I picked a gender-neutral theme of fish.  I took the fish directly from the shower curtain and bath mat and hand painted them onto the wall.  I then had two fish hanging from fish wire from the ceiling.

It was super cute when they were little and they loved it.  But once my daughter took over the bathroom across the hall, it was only fair that this bathroom reflect a little more of my son's personality at 12 years old, rather than when he was 3.
Here is the updated bathroom.  After sanding each of the hand-painted fish and all of the dots off the wall, removing the border and patching up all the holes, I repainted the bathroom using Restoration Hardware paint in the color Cloud (from RH Baby and Child).  My son decided he liked the blue/brown combo.  I let my son be completely involved in picking everything.  For the moment the tissue box (and soap dispenser) remain until I can make something more fitting.  The "A" is hand painted by me.  I bought a square canvas from Michaels and with pencil drew out the letter A and then painted it using the color scheme of the room.  I then hung it using a brown ribbon with blue polka dots on it.  A mirror that was in the attic replaced the boring builders mirror that had been there.

I changed out the builder light fixture above the sink with a light fixture my son picked out.  The light fixture was purchased at Lowes.

Two of the easiest ways to update a bathroom are to change out the faucet and the hardware on the vanity.
We swapped out the builders faucet for this cool one my son picked out from Lowes.
We also updated the handles with much larger, contemporary handles, again bought at Lowes.
To keep with the blue and brown theme, he picked out the shower curtain and bath mat from Restoration Hardware Baby and Child.

I love the word DREAM.  I bought letters from Michaels (that were already painted white) and using a sponge circle brush, added the blue and brown dots.  The brown paint is also from RH Baby and Child.  I bought the sample size which was enough for all the projects in the room.
Some vinyl blue and brown dots scattered around the room.  New white switch covers replaced all of the fish covers.

A nice hook for his robe...and the room is complete.  This bathroom was completely transformed for very little money.  Let me know what you think.  I always love and appreciate your comments.  Have a great weekend.

-Judy

21 comments:

laxsupermom said...

The bath looks fantastic! Your son must be so excited to leave the fish prints behind. I painted our sons' bath with fish, but I know the day is coming when I'll have to repaint it a little "older." Thanks for the inspiration.

Brandi said...

Judy you did such nice job on your son's bathroom. I love that you included his ideas in the transformation. Great Job!

How Sweet It Is-A lifestyle blog said...

I love that FAUCET!!
Great job. Visiting you from Southern in my heart ;)
Have a great weekend!

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

It looks like it grew up overnight! The faucet and the hardware really changed the look of your bathroom, and I LOVE that blue on the walls. It's a great bathroom for a boy.

Danielle said...

What a great bathroom! I know it's a "boy" bathroom but you did such a nice job, I wouldn't mind having it for myself :)

Samantha said...

That looks so much better! I am really loving the faucet!

Inspired by you said...

The bathroom looks great! Thanks for your kind words about my chair. Also, glad that you became a follower of my blog. I'm your latest follower!

Vanessa said...

I love it Judy! What an amazing transformation and those faucets are fabulous! You really did "grow" it up and yet kept the elements that make it a kids bathroom too. The dots are great! Thanks so much for linking this up to Inspiration Friday this week!
Vanessa

Christi @ Writing the Waves said...

Love the brown and blue look for the bathroom. Looks so fresh! :)

Terri said...

Hello, Judy! Thanks for visiting my blog... I LOVE yours.... want to spend some time checking it out. LOVE your daughter's bathroom with the pretty pink and brown color combo. I'll be following you now!

Rebekah Lindenmayer said...

Wow! Judy that is some transformation! Your son has great taste. Thanks for stopping by my blog and I think I am going to try painting something on that tissue basket you've inspired me :)

Crafty Sisters said...

I love the change, especially the faucet your son picked out. Thanks for stopping by, how fun to find your blog..you are inspiring. :)

Modern Country Lady said...

Wow, Judy, congratulations all around- 300 followers- you have a magic touch, I think all around! Have a great weekend.

SLR said...

hi judy,
thank you for stopping by my blog recently! what a great transformation on the bathroom...looks like your son has great design taste already!!

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Hi Judy~ what a great boys bathroom transformation! I love the colors and details and your son picked out a neat faucet! Thanks for sharing this at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

Shel said...

Hello...this is a stunning transformation...your son has an eye for detail too! All looks absolutely great!
Have a wonderful week.
Shel

The Knotty Boutique Co. said...

Hi there again! Thank you for following my blog and leaving such a nice comment! Your blog is beautiful! And that bathroom! Oh my gracious!!! I can't wait until the hubs and I buy our OWN house (we're renting right now....) and we're able to paint the walls! My mom is an interior designer and it amazes me the stuff she comes up with! She decorates our house cause I don't have a clue how to decorate haha!

Anyway thanks for stopping by!

the cape on the corner said...

what a great transformation! i like the nod to the fish theme with the little dispenser you kept. those pulls and that faucet...so updated!

Staci @ Life's Sweeter with Chocolate said...

Love it!! The faucet is so cool!

Unknown said...

I LOVE the changes. Perfect for a 12 year old! That blue is so serene! Thank you for sharing with air your laundry Friday again!

Hugs,
Jami

Unknown said...

The bathroom looks amazing! Such a wonderful upgrade from little to big kid.. love its simplicity and of course the color scheme is great! Thanks for sharing with the Pink Hippo Party!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...