Pages

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Guest Room Makeover

This is my guest room.  This room was re-done completely on a budget.  Prior to this, the room was painted a dark gold color and had very rich autumn colors in the bedding (I don't have a before picture).  I wanted something much less heavy looking and something that would be a soothing retreat for any overnight guests.  I did the opposite of what I usually do...I painted the room before picking anything else.  The walls are painted Benjamin Moore Nantucket Breeze.  It was a Pottery Barn color from 2009. I wouldn't recommend doing it this way. I painted the room first because I was having trouble bringing bedding home and trying it in a room that was painted gold.


The bed is from Fortunoff from several years ago.  I remember walking through the store and narrowing it down to this bed and another.  This was the one I really wanted.  After checking, the clerk told me they didn't have anymore left, however, I could buy the floor sample if I wanted for 50% off.  How perfect was that...especially since there wasn't anything wrong with the floor sample.
If you want to visually expand a room, you should consider adding mirrors to either side of your bed.  In general I like to have the bed as the focal point of the room when you walk in.  Unfortunately in this room, that just isn't an option.  So, the bed is on the wall where the door is located.  The positive about that is it gives guests a little more privacy than if the bed was looking out the door.

Another positive is while laying in bed you can look out this large window.  This room has the best view in the whole house.  It is directly over the new patio and pool.  The drapes are silk and are from Pottery Barn.  The rod is from Bed, Bath and Beyond.
Here is a closeup of the bedding.  I looked everywhere for bedding.  I bought and returned several items.       In my mind I knew exactly what I was looking for, but I just couldn't find it.  Then I was in Home Goods and came across this bedding.  For a queen size comforter, bedskirt, two pillow shams and two decorative pillows I paid $39.99.  I also bought the pale blue duvet cover for $19.99 at Home Goods.

Image from Restoration Hardware
These lamps from Restoration Hardware were exactly what I wanted for the room.  But at $259 and $329 respectively, I wouldn't even consider it.
Then I found these lamps at Home Goods for $39.99 each.  I couldn't believe how much they looked like the ones at Restoration Hardware.  They are extremely well made, heavy and have the same shade.  Just perfect.
This is a vinyl decal which I also got from Home Goods.  It was $6.99 (I saw it again there this weekend...it's $9.99 now but still a great deal).  It looks like I hand painted it.  So much so, that when my painter was recently over to fix the ceiling in the guest room (long story short...our air conditioner leaked in the attic and ruined the ceiling..it needed to be fixed professionally) he thought I had painted it.
This pillow is from Pottery Barn.  The pillow ties in with the birds above the bed.

Here is my favorite fabric.  I found it this summer when we were on vacation in Bethany Beach, Delaware.  Everyday when we would go to the beach I would see this beautiful store.  But each day when we left the beach, the store would be closed.  So one day I walked from the beach to the furniture store.  In the store they had a gorgeous chair covered in this fabric.  I knew it would look perfect in the guest room.  I wrote down the name of the fabric...although it didn't have any manufacturer listed.  Once we got home I started researching it on the internet.  I found one site that sold it.  I was so excited...and it was only $12.99/yard.   I ordered five yards.  I only used a little to make these pillows and cover the chair below.  My plan has been to find a chair on Craigslist and reupholster it using the rest.  So far, no luck finding just the right chair.
The furniture came from my mother in law's house.  When she sold her home and moved to Florida she gave us first choice on what we might want.  I loved this furniture...especially the armoire.
I keep all of my sewing supplies in this armoire.  The drawers are filled with left over fabrics and the cabinet above other sewing notions.
A little box...from where else...Home Goods.
The phone and the clock from the other night stand are from Pottery Barn.  My husband surprised me with them.  I love the look.
This is the temporary chair.  I recovered the cushion with the fabric, but I am on the hunt for a chair on Craigslist that I can upholster using the rest of the fabric.
Here is where I do all of my sewing.
The prints are from Home Goods as well...$14.99 each.
The chair is from my husband's grandmother's home.  It started out being extremely dark and in very bad shape.  I sprayed it Heirloom White and completely took it apart and reupholstered it.  I used nail head trim to finish it off.

I also distressed it a bit by just sanding off some of the paint.
The sewing table is from an old family friend.  I also sprayed it Heirloom White.
I love this as a side table.  I would see it week after week at Home Goods but it started at $99.99 and I just didn't want to spend that much.  One day I saw that it was now on clearance for only $24.99.  Can't beat that.
This bench was a floor sample from Fortunoff as well.  I had this in the room when it was gold...it goes even better in the room now.
More vinyl decals...this time with one of my favorite phrases.

The guest room has it's own bathroom.  Before I redid my daughter's room I offered for her to move into the guest room.  Her room and the guest room are essentially the same size.  In her room, there is a Jack and Jill bathroom that connects to her brother's room.  In the guest room, she would have her own bathroom.  Well she passed on the idea of moving, but she liked the idea of her own bathroom.  I redecorated it exactly as she wanted it.  You can check that out here.  

She didn't want to move...she thought it was too far away.  As you can see...it's not that far.  But from a ten year old perspective  I totally understand that she didn't want to give up her room.  I have a feeling that at some point she will want to move across the hallway.  But for now, she makes the trip across the hall to shower and get ready in her own bathroom.

Let me know what you think of the room.  I always love and appreciate your comments.  Thanks.

44 comments:

Kelly said...

It's beautiful! That decal is fantastic - what a great feature. But my *favorite* thing *of all* is that little sewing table. That shape! AH! I need to own its twin. :) Great job on a restful retreat!

Bethany @ Our 4 Sons Plus 1...Super Cute Girly Girl said...

Oh, those colors in there just brought me to a much happier place as I sit here in the frigid northeast with more snow piling up outside (and another school cancellation!)...thanks for lifting my mood, ha! The room is stunning, and every detail is just perfect! Good luck with the chair hunt. :)

Traci said...

Judy I think it turned out fantastic! I love the bench!! What a great deal on the garden stool. I've been wanting one for awhile but I can't bring myself to pay $100 or more.

Tru said...

That is beautiful! And magazine quality pics. What kind of camera do you have, if I may ask?

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh my, I love everything about this room. The colors and all of your furniture and accessories are just stunning. I love the little bench, the decal is fantastic and the garden stool is wonderful. You do have such a talent for putting together such lovely and inviting spaces. I would love to stay in this room.

Also, I am so thrilled and honored with the award you gave me. How fun that I look like your mom, that is fabulous. Your comments are so gracious and you made me blush. Thank you so much.
Hugs, Marty

ShabbyESP said...

The bedroom turned out great!!!

I love everything you have done!!!
Thank you for sharing!
Suzann

Shel said...

Oh, your bedroom turned out beautifully...I love the colours...they are so serene.
Your blog is so lovely...I'm your newest follower.
Shel

Shel said...

I have added you to my favourite blogroll too now!! I really think this is an awesome blog.

Danielle said...

What a beautiful guest room! I'd never leave.

Life, Crafts and Whatever said...

That room is gorgeous! I'm a huge fan of Home Goods too. I wish ours was closer though, I have to drive half an hour to get to ours. Those lamps are to die for! I'm a new blogger, I'd love if you'd stop by for a visit!

Christi @ Writing the Waves said...

I have new all white bedding, and have been looking around for some pillows to add a little color. I have had light blue in mind. I LOVE what you found for your bedding...and that price is CRAZY! I don't have a Home Goods here. :( Also, the chair that you transformed is absolutely beautiful!!

Honey I'm Home Blog said...

It looks clean, fresh, & inviting. Lucky guests!

Warmly, Michelle

Modern Country Lady said...

Gorgeous, Judy.What a lovely post.I don't comment enough I guess but always read you posts :-)
You have made it such a beautiful room.I love the way you have hunted around and managed to get things you loved eventually for a fraction of the price.
The chair from my husband's grandmother's which you reupholstered looks amazing.
Congratulations on your blog award and you many followers.You are doing fantastically well!!
Much love.

Vanessa said...

Judy, this is EXACTLY what a guest bedroom should look like in my opinion! Light and bright and yet cozy all at the same time. I love the lamps and think they are even prettier than the Restoration ones and the wall decal is just perfect! The bed itself is just gorgeous and that touch of black helps anchor the space and give it some elegance at the same time.
Fabulous job my friend!
Vanessa

Ann said...

Oh what an inviting guest room you made:)

Carisa @ Paintmeshabby said...

I LOVE your room! The colors are perfect!

Keisha Lynn @ Project Campbell said...

This room is sooo comfy!!! I am so excited to go check out the rest of your blog! The sneak peak into that pink bathroom has my interest! Thanks so much for visiting my blog and becoming my newest follower! I look forward to following you as well!!!

Gabe said...

Beautifully done. . .

Aren't 10 year olds amazingly complex?

Megan Gunyan said...

Oh, it's beautiful. I love the lamps and the chair is wonderful! The bench at the end of the bed is so amazing! I love that, too! What a great room.

Susan Anderson said...

What a lovely room! And that BED!!!

I'm drooling.

=)

Allison {A Glimpse Inside} said...

What a lovely room! Can I come stay?! That bed is just fabulous! I love everything in there! Thanks for linking up!

Anonymous said...

A gorgeous room :)
some very good deals!
~victoria~

Unknown said...

Holy cow I love that fabric too! Who makes it? Your home is gorgeous.

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

I would love to be your guest in that amazing room! How warm and inviting...

Adventures said...

Thanks for the follow I am following you back! I love this room. Especially the birds and branches on the wall.

Sassy Sites! said...

What a fabulous guest room! The fabric you've chosen is adorable and so elegant! Thanks for linking it up at Sassy Sites for our Trash to Treasure Tuesday! Have a wonderful weekend! xoxo!

Marni

Make it Simple 2 You said...

OMG!! I love, love your guest room. You did a wonderful job. Now a follower. Thank you for the ideas and suggestions.

Judie said...

I want to be a guest!!!

Allison@FabRehab said...

It is fantastic!!! Congrats on a job well done!

chris said...

I was drawn by the lovely bird theme and colors you chose. What a fabulous job you've done.

fitty's pinky rose cottage said...

your guest room looks so elegant and beautiful! awesome!

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Hi Judy~ What a delightful guest bedroom! I love all the attention to detail- the bed you found is delightful,love those lamps and the colors are just dreamy! How cute that your daughter didn't want to move- she will probably change her mind once she gets to high school! Thanks for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday this week! :)

Christina @ AccomplishingMotherhood said...

This room is amazing! I would love to "retreat" there with with a good book, and look out onto the snow.
Love all your finds as well.... the heirloom white is just too pretty!
now following !
Jumped over from Catch a Glimpse Thursday party :)
http://accomplishingmotherhood.blogspot.com

Pam said...

Adorable. I would so enjoy staying there.

Jenny said...

This entire room is fabulous! Really, really outstanding. My daughter is re-doing her master bedroom and I know she would love your ideas...I sent her a link!

I think my favorite is the matching mirrors over the nightstands. That adds a lot to the room with the stencil between them.

Thanks for an outrageously lovely stop on our little journey through Alphabe-Thursday's letter "O".

Oh, and did I mention...I'm coming to stay for a week. How do you ever get guests to leave?

Thank you for linking.

A+

Anonymous said...

Wow. Wow. Wow. Great job. I am featuring this on this week's Motivated Monday at BeColorful. Thanks for sharing it. Hope to see you again this week.
Pam

Life In The Thrifty Lane said...

Your guest bedroom is BEAUTIFUL!!!

Unknown said...

I love the way your guest room turned out! Beautiful. I adore the fabric that you found at the beach store (well, online)! 50% off that bed? Lucky!

Thanks for sharing with air your laundry Friday again!

Jami

Kitty Deschanel said...

I love that chair that you reupholstered! Everything in your house is so lovely :)

Bonnie@ The Hopeless Romantic said...

What a beautiful room. I love the birds! Especially the pillow..Great job!

Donene said...

I love, love this room! It is so calming and beautiful! Great job!

Iesha Williams said...

Amazing job on the guest room. New follower.

Anonymous said...

Love it that u r so creative!! Enjoyed looking at what u have done.
Priss

Anonymous said...

Hello, i think that i saw you visited my web site thus i came to “return the favor”.
I'm trying to find things to enhance my web site!I suppose its ok to use a few of your ideas!!
My web page : each

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...