Pages

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

It's all in the lampshade

It's amazing the difference the right lampshade can make.  I stopped by Home Goods on Sunday (there's a shocker, right?).  When I walked in I saw that the line to check out went all the way to the back of the store.  I said to myself, I hope I don't find anything.  Isn't it Murphy's Law that I would.
Do you remember this lamp?

This lamp started out looking like this:
Now, the truth is that this lamp has been in my family for a very long time.  I remember it when I was a kid.  We used to call it the yellow lamp (I wish I had a picture of it but I don't).  The base was painted yellow and it had a narrow, tall lamp shade (it was the 1970's after all - very Brady Bunch-like). When I painted it white for my son's nursery years ago, I tried to find a long and narrow lamp shade similar to the orginal.  I couldn't find any that worked at the time (or at least none that were reasonably priced).
Here is the bell shaped lamp shade

When I moved the lamp to the basement hangout area and painted it bronze,  I found a bell lampshade from Target for the lamp.  I never felt like it really did anything for the lamp and have been looking ever since for the perfect lamp shade.  Specifically I was looking for one in the original shape and size that was once on the "yellow" lamp.  While walking through the very crowded Home Goods I found the PERFECT lamp shade.  It was in a brown silk finished both on the outside and inside.  Perfect price as well $29.99.

The proportions are so much better.  I think the original shade from 1970 was a little narrower than this one, but this is pretty darn close.  Since I can't find a picture, I am totally going off of my recollection.
Regardless, it is much more appropriate for the lamp.  Look at the soft glow it gives off.
It's so nice to have the lamp finished off as it was originally intended.
It's amazing the difference the right lamp shade can make.  Proportion can make or break the look of the lamp.
I picked up a few other things while I was there...at least that way it was worth the wait on that long line.  I'll share the rest later this week.  Let me know what you think of the new lampshade.  As always, I love and appreciate your visits and comments.

-Judy

18 comments:

Traci said...

I love it Judy!! It's just amazing what a difference a little change can make!

Dixiejet said...

MUCH better than the bell shade...MUCH better. ;o)

Debbiedoos said...

That is something else...totally new and modern now! Worth your trip Judy!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Love the new shade. It is perfect. I am so bad with shades, they always confuse me. You definitely found the right one. Love it. Hugs, Marty

Samantha said...

The lamp shade looks really good on that base! I like the color of it as well.

Make it Simple 2 You said...

love it! it does make a HUGE difference. Also, were did you find those lovely chairs? i have been looking for a pair like that for my living room. Suggestions were to look? Thank you!
Love your blog and your ideas. Keep them coming! :)
Angie

Allyson Pecilunas said...

OOO I love it looks so pretty.

Vanessa said...

It's gorgeous Judy! I think it just sets off that space perfectly and you were right to snatch it up! :-)
Vanessa

Melissa Miller said...

Judy that is pretty and perfect. I too adore lamps and the soft glow instead of overhead lighting. :)

Unknown said...

What a huge improvement! Much better. Found you on the Swap Followings and now I'm following! 8>)

AntiqueChase said...

Oh, that's a nice improvement. I am so over the bell lampshades... my house if full of them... Home goods is a great store. My HG never has any shades that don't look like they were stepped on or run over.... Must be the customers?

Thanks for your visit!

Sarah, Three Boys said...

What a great and simple change! That really is a cool lamp:)

billi said...

What a neat idea. I would have thought of painting it white from brown, then putting it in hte bedroom, but not in a living area. Very Creative!!!

Mrs. Bukovan and Miss Rossi said...

Very nice!!! I love HG!!!

Tammy @ she wears flowers said...

I've enjoyed looking through your blog (and your home ;) - everything is beautiful! You seem to have the magic touch!!

Leah said...

Wow what a difference that made! I LOVE!

Luvs!

Anonymous said...

wow beautiful work judy!!!!!! LOVE IT!!!

red-headed Wilson's said...

Just stumbled on your blog. I was not liking the lamp until that perfect shade. It MAKES the lamp. Looks really great now. Nice find.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...